PDA

View Full Version : WIP for a project...

kalmarjan
06-04-2007, 12:48 AM
Here is what I am currently working on....

Done in 3DS Max with Vue 6 XStream for the terrain...

no post work in PS yet.

C&C welcome.

Sandeman

kalmarjan
06-04-2007, 01:24 AM
This is a handout to the players, hand drawn in PhCS3

Sandeman

pyrandon
06-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Thanks for posting these wonderful images! Very well done on all three. Wow.

The top-down ambush shots are very nice, even pre Photoshop touch-up. I especially like the gloomy tone, relaying either an evening or a stormy time frame. Very nice. I do not care for the pine trees, for they are a bit too "wispy" for me, but that's not to say they are not realistic. Beautiful shots.

The map is excellent, as well--especially the font. Do you mind telling us what it is/where you found it? A simple map, very honest style, and so rich in texture. The edges are a bit funky to my eye; what is the blue peeking through between the parchment & the black? Was that on purpose? Also, the compass may be too sloppy in comparison to the text & the rest of the map. Otherwise, this could be in a handbook for player handbook maps, it's so well done. Great, great job!

Welcome to the Guild!!!

kalmarjan
06-04-2007, 12:58 PM
Thanks for posting these wonderful images! Very well done on all three. Wow.

Thanks. :)

The top-down ambush shots are very nice, even pre Photoshop touch-up. I especially like the gloomy tone, relaying either an evening or a stormy time frame. Very nice. I do not care for the pine trees, for they are a bit too "wispy" for me, but that's not to say they are not realistic. Beautiful shots.

Thank you for noticing the atmosphere. I have been playing around with HDRI lighting, and environment effects. You hit it bang on with the environment being gloomy/dark.

The map is excellent, as well--especially the font. Do you mind telling us what it is/where you found it?

Sure. The font's name is Aqualine. You can find it here:

http://www.scrapvillage.com/fontsa.htm

A simple map, very honest style, and so rich in texture. The edges are a bit funky to my eye; what is the blue peeking through between the parchment & the black? Was that on purpose?

Hmm.... It seems that something did not sit well when I converted the map to JPG format. Something I will have to go in and check. As for the texture, I built it up with grunge brushes in Photoshop. Perhaps my burning layer accidentally got set to normal for the layer style. I will have to go in and fix that.

Also, the compass may be too sloppy in comparison to the text & the rest of the map. Otherwise, this could be in a handbook for player handbook maps, it's so well done. Great, great job!

I see what you are saying. In the context of the story though, the compass rose was added to the map after the fact, by the person who gives the map to the players. That is why it is in a different hand so to speak. ;)

Welcome to the Guild!!!

Thank you. I look forward to sharing some of my experiments with you all. :) Perhaps there will even be a tutorial someday, for those looking to use Vue for their terrains. (And if I could ever figure out how to record it. )

Sandeman

kalmarjan
06-05-2007, 06:03 PM
This here is for another part of the adventure, an ambush in the middle of the night.

Done completely in VUE 6, this is a test of HDRI + Volumentric light effects. I realize it will need some work, but it is here for C&C anyway. :)

Sandeman

Arcana
06-05-2007, 10:18 PM
I am totally in love with the Vue6 stuff...everything I've ever seen done with that is just awesome. Very impressive stuff...could you possibly post a perspective view just for fun?

As a 3d studio max 9 user, I'm very interested in 3d mapping, I just don't have the time I'd like to devote to it.

dwinblood
06-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Nice maps. They look very nice. Too bad I am not very good at 3D modeling. :)

RobA
06-05-2007, 11:58 PM
What will the final media be for the ambush maps? On-screen or printed?

(That last one had some serious gamma issues on my notebook screen...I could barely make anything out.)

-Rob A>

kalmarjan
06-06-2007, 01:03 AM
This will be a screen image for sure. I do have it saved in a format that could be good for the printer, but that would be prohibitive, as the color space for this image is way off the scale.

As for Gamma issues.... I know it may be a little dark, but have you calibrated your display recently? Something that is very important to do, especially if you are working on images. :)

I will try to get something on the go for the perspective images....

Sandeman

kalmarjan
06-06-2007, 01:09 AM
I am totally in love with the Vue6 stuff...everything I've ever seen done with that is just awesome. Very impressive stuff...could you possibly post a perspective view just for fun?

As a 3d studio max 9 user, I'm very interested in 3d mapping, I just don't have the time I'd like to devote to it.

I have been slowly trying to learn 3DS for just that. How has your experience been with modeling? I am still trying to find the time to model through a series of gothic architecture. I plan to use Vue 6 for the terrain, and 3DS Max for the buildings.

I should have a perspective view of my campfire by morning. :)

Sandeman

Arcana
06-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Well, I've been modelling in 3d studio since r2.5. Thats before Discreet owned it I think. So my experience with modelling has been pretty wide-range. The majority of that time was spent doing low-polygon models (characters, placeables, monsters, maps/tiles) for Quake 1, 2, 3 and Neverwinter Nights. I've recently made the switch over to high polygon modelling and still rendering focusing primarily on Mental Ray. For example, the logo up top here (and the wallpaper you'll see in the miscellaneous section) was all done in 3d studio with mental ray.

My current job actually has me making 3d models of aircraft cockpits and airframes for flight simulators for the Navy. I'm currently working on a medium detail V-22 Osprey cockpit. I haven't found a reasonable workflow for 3d modelling yet though...I might develop one and build a city map or somethign in 3d studio just to see if I can do it without an insane amount of work...maybe build up a 3d library of buildings or something...I dunno...Vue 6 would surely be helpful. Where'd you get it?

kalmarjan
06-06-2007, 07:52 AM
Hmmm... In this picture you can tell that I optimised the picture for overhead view. This is just a test though, as I have not added any other interesting bits to this map yet, just the ground, trees and atmosphere.

With that said, as per request, here you are.

(Levels are slightly adjusted in Photoshop, just to correct a gamma issue any of you may have. :) )

Sandeman

RobA
06-07-2007, 10:08 AM
As for Gamma issues.... I know it may be a little dark, but have you calibrated your display recently? Something that is very important to do, especially if you are working on images. :)

Heh!

Yeah - my video card gamma is set for my external monitor. I was on the road using the built in notebook screen which is disturbingly darker...

-Rob A>

kalmarjan
07-09-2007, 12:44 AM
I haven't found a reasonable workflow for 3d modelling yet though...I might develop one and build a city map or somethign in 3d studio just to see if I can do it without an insane amount of work...maybe build up a 3d library of buildings or something...I dunno...Vue 6 would surely be helpful. Where'd you get it?

I know what you mean on that. LOL

Good thing about Vue though is the Ecosystem(tm) is very powerful, whereas you can "populate" your terrain with models of plants and such. (Even imported models). The cool thing about that is you ban drive it with functions and/or bitmapped images. So in the case of the city, it *would* be easier to populate the city by drawing a grayscale representation of where your buldings would be. Then you import it into Vue, apply it to an ecosystem, and there you go, instant city.

I am going to try it out, and I should have a quick example for the morning... LOL

Vue 6 is available here: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/try/vue_6_ple/

The good news is it is a personal learning edition. I have used vue since almost the beginning (Amiga anyone LOL) So you can try it out to learn, then upgrade your way to the easel version. (89$ US if I remember correctly.) The upgrade to Version 6 was a bit steep, ran almost 400$, (Stupid exchange rate!) but it is well worth it. (Or that is what I tell the wife. LOL)

Sandeman

kalmarjan
07-09-2007, 11:07 AM
So attached here is a working example of what Vue can do. I made a plane, then populated it with a simple model of a house. Then I made a quick JPEG greyscale representation of where the houses should be placed. I even used the same JPEG to drive the mixing of the materials for the ground. So you have streets, and grass.

Now, I know it is not the best, but I could go even further and restrict how the houses are placed, and go even further in detail on that. So this is a quickie example of just what you can accomplish. Even better, with my 1.8Ghz P4, rendered to disk, this took 5 minutes, so that is not so bad.

{edit}Looks like I am having a problem uploading images here, so here is a direct link from my site:

http://jasonsandeman.com/Gaming/Map_Portfolio/test_city.jpg

Sandeman