PDA

View Full Version : Almost labeled maps...

Gamerprinter
06-19-2009, 01:25 AM
A thought just popped in my head. Something I could add into my Gamer-Printshop.com site - if I ever could have time to actually work on my site, instead of endless commission maps! :P

What about guild members creating "almost labeled maps". In other words, say create a city map, include a cartouche with no actual city name title, perhaps even numbered locations on the map with a legend area to name it, with no names. :o

The point is, I could post maps for printing on the site, for a kickback to the Guild, offering gamers the chance to post their preferred city title to match their current RPG campaign or home brew. Also major sites: temples, fortresses, etc. can also be named by these gamers for their gods or specific temples, guilds, fighting orders, etc.

Instead of forcing a gamer to order a printed map with your chosen city name, they get to choose it themselves. I'll enter the name on the map and print the file.

Thoughts?

GP

Alfar
06-19-2009, 06:29 AM
Even cooler would be to be able to automate the process, of course.

I used to work in a software house making dynamic print-ready pdf's for printing businesses, so that was my first thought.

I think it's a great idea.

Steel General
06-19-2009, 10:56 AM
Sounds like a really neat idea.

Lathorien
06-19-2009, 11:26 AM
generic cities, kingdoms and continents in addition to the usual generic town, keep, dungeon and temple maps. Sounds smart...

ravells
06-19-2009, 12:29 PM
Super idea! Make it so!

Gamerprinter
06-19-2009, 01:54 PM
OK, I plan to rework the website this weekend, fix the bad links and add in the Unlabeled Maps page.

I think I will add $2 to my print price, then kick back $1 to the Guild and $1 to the artist/cartographer of a given map, that way everybody profits from the service.

When the site is ready I'll make a notification on the News Forum and I can then start receiving submissions for unlabeled maps.

Thoughts?

GP

Alfar
06-19-2009, 02:50 PM
What size and resolution would you want maps in? Not that I consider what I'm doing worthy of print in any form as of yet, but I guess it would be relevant for those who are to make the maps, eh?

I think it's great throwing a buck at the artist as well. Just a small incentive besides knowing you're kindof published. :)

Gamerprinter
06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Generally I say, for a large format map at the final dimensional size, 100 ppi is the minimum resolution. If your PC can handle it, 300 ppi is preferrable, but 100 ppi still works fine.

I sponsored the January 2009 challenge by printing the winning map, those were the standards we were working on.

GP

Ascension
06-19-2009, 05:17 PM
How do you plan to handle things like different font styles for labeling and layer styles for fancy titles? Should we include these sort of things in a zip file that you can then put into a folder for keeping them all together? Don't get me wrong but I'd hate for someone else to just start putting sloppy styles onto something that I labor for days to get just the right feel (my current map has taken me a week to find the right font and I still haven't chosen a layer style for the title).

Gamerprinter
06-19-2009, 05:31 PM
What you said, Ascension, or even have available fonts to choose from, limited for each map of course. That would be the way I think.

GP

Midgardsormr
06-20-2009, 10:19 AM
If you go that route, the cartographers need to be sure that they have the right to distribute any font they include in such a style pack.

Greyhind
06-20-2009, 01:57 PM
If you go that route, the cartographers need to be sure that they have the right to distribute any font they include in such a style pack.

It is easy enough to make your own fonts if you have the software... Tell me game printer do you possess inkscape?

As to the bundled fonts, I would go for about 5. Maybe a blocky, detailed but east to read monks print, a cursive, elegant joined-up hand writing and a spider with broken legs crawling through ink as well as two or three others. Do you also do Sci-fi maps?

Old english, lucida handwriting and viner hand could be respective inspirations

Gamerprinter
06-20-2009, 02:02 PM
I currently do not have or use Inkscape, however, as it is a free program, I should be able to obtain it without a problem. If you can export your Inkscape file to a standard graphics format such as JPG, BMP, or PDF. I can still print whatever you need without needing to have Inkscape.

And I can print any kind of map.

GP

Greyhind
06-20-2009, 03:33 PM
Er, sorry I seem to have made the wrong impression over the faceless internet.

My apologies. I was implying that Vector software such as Inkscape and Illustrator can be used to create such fonts and that it would be better for legal reasons to do so yourself.

As to the question of Sci-fi maps, again I was being somewhat dependent on tone of voice to relate information. I wanted to convey that the bundle of fonts should be applicable to the entire range range of maps (including Sci-fi) rather then just those that appeal to the average DnD player.

If I ever have need of a large-scale map printing I'll know where to go.

Apologies

Alecthar
06-20-2009, 03:38 PM
The point about fonts is a good one. We have a number of resources available to us from the Mapping Elements sub-forum. If an enterprise such as this were to continue, it would probably be best to take a good hard look at the many free fonts forum members have discovered and isolate the ones which possess both a style we wish to have available, and a license that allows for commercial distribution of materials containing the font.

Gamerprinter
06-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Many of the "free fonts" I use have limitations on commercial use. So I sometimes pay for the free fonts for the purpose of commercial use. And I have used font creation software before, so the idea of creating my own fonts that use a similar design as popular map fonts is not out of the question.

I avoid Adobe fonts specifically for this reason. Generally I only use fonts I own.

GP

misteradam
06-21-2009, 10:41 PM
reminds me of a stock illustration website, you've probably heard of Illodeli.com

Maybe you can implement high resolution downloadable generic world and city maps for indie game makers to use in their PDF or PoD products.