PDA

View Full Version : Cartographers' Guild breaks the 10,000 member mark!

ravells
06-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Don't know about you guys, but I like keeping an eye on the number of members we have and the regular posters. It's stunning that we have now broken through 10,000 members. It was only about 4 years ago when there were about 20 of us. I believe that the secret to our success is pretty simple: be welcoming, be polite and be constructive in your criticism....oh and share your knowledge. Keeping the site strictly 'non application' specific and welcoming maps from any software or hand drawn has also proved to be a great success.

This is a congratulations to everyone here. Thank you all for making the CG grow and to respect the values that we hold. In the thousands of posts here we have had only one locked thread and one banned user (apart from spammers). I think that must be some sort of record given our member base, but more importantly it just shows that a polite enviornment will perpetuate itself.

For myself, I have to say that this is one of the best bbs's on the internet I've ever visited and I'm proud to be a part of it. We're all volunteers but we do what we do out of a passion for mapping. I don't know if you've checked out the Finished Maps section lately but the standard of mapping lately has been phenomenal. We have recently had our first featured map inspired purely from the tutorials on this site.

The 'jewels in the crown' have been the tutorials by RobA, Ascension, Pyrandon and Butch Curry's youtube tutorials (apologies for anyone I've left out) which have allowed people who don't believe that they can produce a decent map to make something they probably didn't believe was possible. I know I've stood on the shoulders of the people here in making my maps, the level to which people are prepared to share their knowledge is truly a gift.

So congratulations everyone and thank you for being a part of our very small but rewarding part of the internet.

All this would not have happened if Robbie (Arcana) had not built the site. Robbie deserves a huge round of applause from all of us for creating a place in which we all feel comfortable, constructive and which is a melting pot of shared knowledge. In that sense this truly is a 'guild'.

Ravs

Steel General
06-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Well said Ravs!

torstan
06-22-2009, 06:16 PM
I have to agree, and to say that the success of the guild is in no small part down to the good work of the Community leaders here who do a great job of welcoming new people, running contests, keeping the boards clear of spam and being universally helpful and fostering a pleasant atmosphere. Thanks guys, Keep up the good work :)

Ascension
06-22-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm just glad that we all are pretty cool to one another and helpful. We all have different strengths and we share them and that's pretty cool too. I certainly wouldn't have gotten anywhere unless this place existed...I'd still be sitting alone trying to figure things out on my own. If it weren't for the great people here, new and old alike, I'd have lost interest long ago. So I say, "congrats to all of us". Keep up the good work everyone.

Sigurd
06-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Congratulations and thank you to everyone here.

This is a great place to be.

Thanks

Sirith
06-23-2009, 03:23 AM
Congratulations to everybody, thank you Arcana for building this cartographer's home in the great seas of the internet, and thank you everybody here who has made this forum so much fun :)

NeonKnight
06-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Congrats to all, But most of all to Arcana. He stuck in when his partner left.

Congrats again!

Alfar
06-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Yay for us! I'd say it's well deserved - I've rarely found a more friendly bunch of people on the internet.

So, no goodbyes, but thanks for all the fish anyway ;)

msa
06-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Yay for us! I'd say it's well deserved - I've rarely found a more friendly bunch of people on the internet.

Seconded!

I didn't even know there were places on teh internets that were this friendly and helpful!

Robbie
06-23-2009, 09:10 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. This place belongs to you all. I am truly honored to be a part of this community. You have all been very good to me as friends and it means a lot to see the member base be so large. And to think, two weeks ago, I deleted about 300 members due to inactivity.

Every day this community astonishes me with its brilliance and maturity, and the fact that we've reached 10,000 members on word of mouth alone, is just incredible.

Thank you all so very much, and thank you Community Leaders for standing by me during this rough phase of my personal life as well.

Gandwarf
06-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Free drinks for everyone!

(actually, Ravells is paying, mail him your receipts)
(no, really!)

jaerdaph
06-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Woo hoo! :)

Congratulations, everyone! The Cartographers Guild is hands down the best online community I have ever belonged to.

Zar Peter
06-24-2009, 09:21 AM
While I must confess I know another great community in the net (see my sig) the things I learned here are unbeatable. The tutorials are absolutely great and the comments in the WIP threads are always useful and friendly... all in all I'm proud to be part of this community.

Thank you all for making this the place that it is.

DevinNight
06-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Agreed, this is a great forum and the people here are outstanding.

megrim
07-03-2009, 11:17 PM
can i get mine in my po box?

beriothien
07-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Absolutely great forum. But I must second Zar.
Nope, Zar, I'm not telling you who I am there. Or maybe if you convince me enough. ^^
The location should be a hint;)

Redrobes
07-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Sponge Ber ?

beriothien
07-06-2009, 03:03 PM
With below sea-level, I ment the Netherlands.;)

jfrazierjr
07-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Absolutely great forum. But I must second Zar.
Nope, Zar, I'm not telling you who I am there. Or maybe if you convince me enough. ^^
The location should be a hint;)

Your in the ocean? I hope your inside some type of bubble or habitat thing, else your computers going to keep gettin wet....

Gandwarf
07-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Actually, I was thinking more of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ySHJF1ImQY

beriothien
07-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Drats, Gandwarf has found me out!:P

Naw, just kidding. I do have some old videos of it around though....*goes all nostalgic*

Ascension
08-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Looking at this just now and something popped into my head. Last night I looked at the member count while replying to a post and we had 11,999 members around midnight CST. Now at 7pm CST we have 12,042. That means we picked up 43 in 19 hours. Not only that but also we picked up 2,000 in under 2 months...we were approaching 10k on June 22 (when this thread first appeared). How cool is that?! It's uber cool. So I'd just like to reiterate...thank you to everyone who makes this place kick ass and take names...lots of them apparently :)

Alfar
08-17-2009, 11:58 PM
That is amazing. I mean, it's fully deserved, it's just... wow.

Midgardsormr
08-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Sounds like we hit some kind of critical mass. I guess that explains why I haven't been able to keep up with all the posts for a while. I used to be able to read all the new messages every day, and now I just hit a few highlights. Of course, part of that might be because I'm no longer working my sit-and-do-nothing job at the TV station any more.

Karro
08-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Sounds like we hit some kind of critical mass. I guess that explains why I haven't been able to keep up with all the posts for a while. I used to be able to read all the new messages every day, and now I just hit a few highlights. Of course, part of that might be because I'm no longer working my sit-and-do-nothing job at the TV station any more.

Likewise. For a while I used to read and comment on almost every map in the Regional Map forum (the one I was most interested in). Now... the thread I comment on is the exception, not the rule.

Also of note: of 12,067 members, we have about 2,003 active members (also a pretty big benchmark). I wonder how the board software calculates active membership?

Gandwarf
08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Not sure... I think inactive means a person hasn't signed in to his/her account for X days. And X is a setting...

Imahilus
08-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Active is either, all accounts with a postcount higher than 0, or accounts that have made a post in the last ## days.
Inactive, all the other ones.
To be honest, I wouldn't count the inactive ones.
You need to sign up with this forum to see attachments, so a lot of the members could just be people curious about one or two things and signing up to have a quick look.

This is meant in the good sense though, not in the new person starting a flaming match.
2000 'active' members is quite an accomplishment!

someguy
08-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Cool! 10K members.