PDA

View Full Version : Amusement Park Ride Map??

Gamerprinter
06-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Just looking at Bordie's Dungeon Experience map in the finished forums, link here:
Bordie's Map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=67588#post67588) not so much the map, as the idea behind the map.

Create an amusement park ride - I'm thinking of the kind you get in a "car" or boat riding on a fixed track that meanders through a building or contained open area with different settings in each room/area.

Like a haunted house ride, or the rides you find at Disney - but flavored to a specific fantasy genre of your choosing. Dark fantasy, post-apocalyptic, high fantasy, the Underdark, the Old West, etc. Just stick with a theme and have rooms/areas focused iconic scenes from such a genre.

This could work either as a full monthly challenge or Lite one.

GP

Novarri
06-23-2009, 10:26 PM
Hmm...could be really interesting, I work at a ride like that and lately I'd been thinking about how such a thing would make an interesting "dungeon" setting. Especially with a "boat" style ride, where the PCs would be wading through waist-high water.

I can actually see a lot of possibility for some really nice traps and interesting terrain hazards with a map like that, as well as it being just thematically fun to mess with, say, an old derelict carnival ride that's infested with monsters or something.

armoredgear7
06-25-2009, 04:45 PM
hmm... magic-powered roller coaster anyone?

It's a neat idea, but I don't know about making it the monthly challenge.

Novarri
06-29-2009, 08:53 PM
^Actually, it'd be fairly easy to make a purely mechanical ride even for a medieval campaign, in the style of (for example) a wooden-eqsue roller coaster lifted by a watermill. Of course, it would be improbable and definitely an anachronism, but still possible. The whole "rooms with different settings" thing could be done with simple mechanical doors (car hits a lever, pushes door open) and...well...paint or actors or something. Much easier if you want to use magic (illusionist ftw!), but still.

Anyway, I wasn't going to bump, but I'd been mulling it over and since this was still the most recent...

Map Vandal
06-30-2009, 10:12 AM
I was thinking something like this....

armoredgear7
06-30-2009, 06:16 PM
I was thinking something like this....

Strangely appropriate Nice!

ravells
07-01-2009, 02:01 PM
I really like it! Fresh and original idea!

Jykke
07-02-2009, 07:22 AM
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3. :)

Probably suitable for lite challenge. ?