PDA

View Full Version : The Valley - my first post here

izraefel
06-23-2009, 08:14 PM
So this is my first post, and also my first submission. I borrow lots of ideas from the CG for my game, so I thought I'd throw my own map up. It was hastily hand drawn then coloured/photosmashed in CS3. It isn't labeled or titled - part of the campaign is that the PC's are new to this area and have to map out and discover the settlements and their politics as they go, so on my Obsidian Portal site the map is updated as the game progresses. :)

Redrobes
06-23-2009, 08:23 PM
Hey thats really great. I dont know why I like it so much but I do. It has an unusual style that makes me think that its been done by some adventurer. Its got gnome all over it...

NeonKnight
06-23-2009, 10:36 PM
I agree, a very evocative map.

Ascension
06-23-2009, 11:46 PM
Yep, that's a real fun looking map...the colors, the details here n there, well done mtns, etc. Very nice job.

Syt
06-24-2009, 01:57 AM
That is one cool map - beautiful. :)

izraefel
06-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Thanks everyone! I've made several others, but currently I'm using none of them. Maybe I'll dig through the HDD and put some of those up too... This is the first I've made that I've dominantly used textures from photos I've taken.

Jykke
06-24-2009, 02:54 AM
Very nice looking map indeed. if you are looking for some critique to improve it further, you might want to consider clearing some of that forest on top of the mountain on the right corner of the map. Otherwise I think it's just fine as it is.

Steel General
06-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Love me some hand-drawn maps!

*bonk*

Alecthar
06-24-2009, 07:35 AM
I like this very much. I'd love to see you put a tutorial together on coloring hand-drawn maps in this style.

Katerek
06-24-2009, 08:25 AM
I really like this. It looks like something that would be fun to print out and 'age' - it would make an excellent player handout.

altasilvapuer
06-24-2009, 12:47 PM
I love hand-drawn maps, too, because they have a certain personality that you can't get very easily with a digitally rendered map. The only thing that's made me leery of hand-drawn maps in the past (aside from the fact that I couldn't drawn my way out of a box) is that oftentimes they lack clarity - usually lost in pencil smudges and/or artifacts of the scanning process.

I look at this map, though, and see it overflowing with personality in droves. And more than that, you've kept it clear, elegant, and defined. I can't find any evidence of frustrating scanning artifacts, and what pencil smudge there is has been worked into the map and exists as a fundamental part of it, rather than something to be erased. I definitely agree that it looks like it's from an adventurer's perspective.

You really should post your others. Wonderful work!

-asp