PDA

View Full Version : June Entry: Pocket Island

Jykke
06-24-2009, 12:56 PM
A Wizard's Pocket Island.

An enchanted item (hollow glass ball) that acts as a wizards sanctum - "a deserted island somewhere under the Carribean sun". It can be accessed only by the wizard by activating the item with a spell (Magic words: "I Need a Vacation!"). When used, the wizard and the sanctum are transported into a small pocket universe, and to the outsiders, vanish with a small puffy cloud of smoke.

Quite simple, isn't it ? Just don't shake it too much.. or you might find your cabin washed into the sea.

Jykke
06-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Hmmm.. It's still missing something.. maybe some clouds? Will get back to it.

Sigurd
06-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Looks good.

I think it would be more powerful if the bubble was more distinct from the background and there was more of interest on the island.

Sigurd

Jykke
06-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah, have to admit that. Maybe I'll think of something and add some details, like a tower, another island and maybe a rope bridge connecting them. But here's a picture with the clouds I mentioned.

Talroth
06-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Looks cool, what are you using to make the image?

Two issues I see with it.

1. Your waves, you seem to have waves upon waves, the small ripples look fine, but the large waves suggest that your little island is often crushed under several hundred tonnes of the wet. The water itself really should make a plane with small waves on that.

2. Your island seems to float in the water, I would expect to see sand at the bottom of the sphere, not water.

Jykke
06-25-2009, 04:39 AM
update.

and for who asked about it, it's done with vue.

Ascension
06-25-2009, 09:07 AM
I like this alot. I especially like that the weather will always be perfect since it's enclosed within that globe...no bugs either. Cool stuff.

Jykke
06-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks Ascension! A closed ecosystem has it's benefits ;) I was planning to add a pier to the main island.. + some fish to the sea. The pier worked out just fine, but the fish seem to be quite distorted because of the the refractions etc.. so not sure if I'm going to implement them on the next version or not.

Jykke
06-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Another updated version.

###Latest WIP###

Gamerprinter
06-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Great 3D art, but I think you ought to create a topdown render of the islets, so one could use it more like a map. Then place your 3D illustration, beside the mapped isles, and perhaps a text description of the item and usage below the 3D illustration to complete this.

Right now it looks like a cool 3D illustration, but not really a map.

GP

Jykke
06-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Yeah, I was kinda waiting when someone would say something about it. :)

Ascension
06-25-2009, 05:43 PM
GP hit the nail on the head there...but maybe you could do an iso image and have that get both points across.

Jykke
06-25-2009, 05:44 PM
As requested.
### Latest WIP ###

töff
06-25-2009, 05:54 PM
One of the things I would enjoy about being in this vacation bubble would be a HUGE sea stretching all-l-l-l around. But if the bubble were huge, the the island would look really small ... it would kinda spoil the effect, huh. (Or would it?) The clouds would make more sense, though, and you might have some birds, too, if they had room to fly.

I love the blue of the water in the 3D render.

Man, I like palm trees :)

Ascension
06-25-2009, 06:33 PM
He could have an illusion cast on the inside of the glass that looks like endless sea and gulls squawking overhead (sort of like in that one Jim Carrey movie). I would like to be able to fish here so I don't know how he could get that to work.

Steel General
06-25-2009, 07:06 PM
i would like to be able to fish here so i don't know how he could get that to work.

m-a-g-i-c!

Jykke
06-26-2009, 06:12 AM
Rendering an iso-like image of the island at the moment and will post it here when ready. Somehow the program gives insane render time estimates, (previous ones have been around 1h 20 min with ~max settings.. and now it gave an estimate of 30 hours. Something is a bit off there..), but I'll just tune the settings if it starts to look like it takes that long.

Jykke
06-26-2009, 08:42 AM
more iso-like perspective ? and the top down view.

JakeWoods
06-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Great 3D art, but I think you ought to create a topdown render of the islets, so one could use it more like a map.
Right now it looks like a cool 3D illustration, but not really a map.

GP

I agree. I use vue to do some of my maps and it is easy enough to swithch from the main camera view to the top camera view to create this effect. I really like the idea that you have come up with here...

oopps should have read the rest of the posts

Jykke
06-28-2009, 04:35 AM
No harm done. :)

Gandwarf
06-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Repped for encouragement... really good stuff!

Redrobes
06-28-2009, 01:30 PM
I think your #13 looks better than your #18. If you wanted the #13 to be the final one then take off the #18 wip tag. You only need to put a wip tag on the wips that you are keeping as the final entries. The last of which is what gets made into the thumbnail for them. If you wanted the perspective view as your entry then thats cool and just leave it as is.

Jykke
06-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I agree.. I changed the wip tag to the #13 post.. I hope it will pick the right image from there.

Redrobes
06-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Ok updated now !

Jykke
06-29-2009, 01:44 AM
Great, thanks for the input btw ;)

Jykke
06-29-2009, 08:29 AM
hmmm, not sure if I should have included the top down image in my competition post, but well.. maybe I'll just let it slide this time. Viewers can check it out from post #18 along with the more iso-like version of the map if they like.

Jykke
06-29-2009, 02:08 PM
btw. thanks for those persons who gave rep, I really appreciate it :)