PDA

View Full Version : Well, I guess its time to start showing work off

Notsonoble
06-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Here's my most recent attempt at a world map for the campaign setting I'm making... No one person's tutorials have been quite what I wanted, but RobA's and Assencion's have helped quite a bit...

The land/water areas are from a random generation in terraj... with one or two pieces moved to make a bit more since with my existing setting material...

I've gotta get back to other things for now, but I plan on dividing coutries out and finishing the labeling over this and next week... So I can a have it ready when I leave town on the 6th.
http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15985&d=1250569983

Notsonoble
06-25-2009, 03:01 PM
well the shelf thing wasn't working out... and I forgot to reset the offset on the grid... also here's one with some of the rivers and the rough step of tagging off the countries...

Alecthar
06-25-2009, 03:57 PM
I feel like your poles could do with a little of the jaggy treatment, dirty 'em up a bit, but otherwise I'm very impressed. Have you added mountains yet?

Notsonoble
06-25-2009, 07:08 PM
The poles are kinda afterthought-ed right now... if you notice wrapping them right now would do silly things... I intend to get back to them... could you give some idea of what you mean by dirty-ing them up?

A few, but some of the boarders hide them in the second image... Scale is kinda kicking me in the face... to give the world a realistic diameter, I ended up with 100sq mi pixels o_O...

This is also why the few rivers on it are extremely subdued... because dozens of 10 mile wide rivers is just craziness...

Steel General
06-25-2009, 07:10 PM
This is coming along nicely... my only nit pick is that weird patterning that GIMP sometimes does.

If I'm not mistaken RobA came up with a way to pretty much get rid of it.

Notsonoble
06-25-2009, 07:14 PM
This is coming along nicely... my only nit pick is that weird patterning that GIMP sometimes does.

If I'm not mistaken RobA came up with a way to pretty much get rid of it.

Which weird patterning, I've been using a lot of RobA's regional map and simple mountains tutorial (with some other tutorials mixed in) because there's not a good "world sized" tutorial for GIMP...

Steel General
06-25-2009, 07:17 PM
I believe it's caused by the bump-mapping - it almost looks like there's a grid on the map. It's hard to explain since I don't use GIMP any more.

Notsonoble
06-25-2009, 07:22 PM
umm... there is a grid on the map...?

Ascension
06-25-2009, 09:21 PM
What he's referring to is the plasma cloud that Gimp uses...it has a lot of horizontal and vertical tendencies and some 45 degree angle ones as well. They aren't lines but more like creases.

Notsonoble
06-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Ah, yeah I see now, if RobA's found a way to increase the randomness I haven't found his posts about it yet... I followed his grass and grass bumps bits pretty much to the letter... but I actually intend on reducing the opacity of that particular layer closer to the end... or maybe making small adjustments to it or some such... it's really handy for laying down rivers right now...

RobA
06-26-2009, 12:56 PM
It was mentioned in other posts.

Instead of using the built-in clouds go get the felimage noise plugin:

http://fimg-gmplugins.sourceforge.net/

It has much better noise algorithms.

-Rob A>

Steel General
06-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Ahhh.. I knew it was something. Thanks RobA!

Notsonoble
06-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Okay, so after playing with the felimage plugin... I redid the "grass bumps" layers with sparse turbulence and size 5...

Notsonoble
06-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Latest WIP...

I've redone the bump map that was bothering people... this is a lot better looking... (plus it's randomness created a few HUGE craters that might add some Interesting things to the game)

I've also started on boarders... It's not following any of the tutorials, because I got a bit lost trying to come back to them and extract just that data... (but I'm working on no coffee...) so I'm just winging it (in a fashion I'll explain later, it's pretty simple...)

anywho... here ya go...

Notsonoble
06-26-2009, 07:01 PM
Yay, one whole continent done before 5p... I might just finish the borders tonight... :o

All I'm doing, is one layer's got a black 1px trace of each border... and another layer's got a 2-3 pix wide color trace...

Notsonoble
06-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Awesome, I finished all the borders just in time to start on tonight's work at the real job... I'll probably have to save the labeling for Monday thought :(

ironmetal250
06-27-2009, 03:56 AM
I really like this map. It's relatively small and very simple, and very easy on the eyes.

Alecthar
06-27-2009, 08:47 PM
When I said "dirty them up" (poor choice of words, by the way) I mostly meant that I thought it would be nice if you added a displacement map or two to the arctic areas. To my eyes the lines look too clean.

Notsonoble
06-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Gimp crashed while I was saving... I gotta bad feeling about this

Notsonoble
06-29-2009, 11:57 PM
Okay, not to bad... it saved all my new work but lost all the layers "below" the "sea shore" layer >.<

Notsonoble
06-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Latest WIP

I didn't bother with trying to copy from one of the existing flats for the water layers... so my water looks a little different now... if but here's what I've got now...

Ascension
06-30-2009, 01:17 AM
All I can say is lookin good man.

Notsonoble
06-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Ascension... would you put the countries on it at this point? I'm worring about how busy that could get...

Ascension
06-30-2009, 02:09 AM
Aesthetically, yeah it could get very busy. If this is to serve some purpose like laying out a world in which you intend to write about then the more info the better...just put things on separate layers so that you can turn them on and off to see the terrain.

Notsonoble
06-30-2009, 02:18 AM
It's supposed to be that, and the front map for a campaign book...

Ascension
06-30-2009, 02:24 AM
Gotcha...keep it clean, keep it easy to read so that means don't clutter it up too much. You've still got cities to put on. You might want it bigger.

Notsonoble
06-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Well, Asc(sorta), one of my local gamers, and some people on a chat room have all said save more names for closer in maps... which means I'm gonna gonna work on the polar sections a little... but otherwise its done...

Notsonoble
06-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Okay, worked on the polar caps a little... I think it's done... but would appreciate any last suggestions

Alecthar
07-01-2009, 01:03 PM
I like that much better. Nice work.

Notsonoble
08-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Quick bump... I've started an attempt to scale the image to something that would print nicely on large format printers... It's still an odd size but right now it would print 20''x20'' at 100ppi...

I'd appreciate comments on any scaling artifacts I'm sure there's a few that I haven't seen yet.

Coyotemax
08-15-2009, 07:59 AM
The only comment I might really have would be that the text is a bit fuzzy. I understand you scaled it up some though.. what was the process you used for scaling? Does your machine have enough oomph to keep the lext layers unrasterized before scaling?

scscofield
08-15-2009, 09:00 AM
I am new here so take my thoughts with a grain of salt really but it keeps striking me that the 'texture' of each continent is the same. I figure its all the same bump map so this is not supriseing but it keeps makeing me think 'when I do a map like this, different bumpmaps for each continent...' Just a thought really. You could go back make a mask for each one and then bump them up or down or something to give it a less uniform feel. This is just my personal thoughts on it though and as I said I am new to all of this mapping stuff.

Notsonoble
08-15-2009, 02:47 PM
The only comment I might really have would be that the text is a bit fuzzy. I understand you scaled it up some though.. what was the process you used for scaling? Does your machine have enough oomph to keep the lext layers unrasterized before scaling?

I actually intend to redo those layers pretty soon, so they'll clean up once that's done.

I am new here so take my thoughts with a grain of salt really but it keeps striking me that the 'texture' of each continent is the same. I figure its all the same bump map so this is not supriseing but it keeps makeing me think 'when I do a map like this, different bumpmaps for each continent...' Just a thought really. You could go back make a mask for each one and then bump them up or down or something to give it a less uniform feel. This is just my personal thoughts on it though and as I said I am new to all of this mapping stuff.

That's an interesting idea... and not one anybody'd really mentioned... I'm not really planning on redoing things at that level for this map, but it would be interesting in others...

Now since I'm trying to decide how to handle continents... I know that each one of them (by the nature of the beast) will end up with a different bump map anyway...

Notsonoble
08-18-2009, 01:33 AM
Okay, text re done... I'd left the paths for the continent and water text in the original xcf... and they scaled way better then the layer with all the text in it did... (not really sure why)

It looks pretty clear to me, but if people still think it's fuzzy, I suppose I could re-do it from scratch...

Steel General
08-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Text looks good to me, as does the rest of the map.

Notsonoble
08-18-2009, 01:15 PM
And with a Steel General stamp of approval... I declare this map finished!