PDA

View Full Version : [taken]-[unpaid]Need generic fantasy map

dungeonraiders
06-27-2009, 05:54 AM
I'm in the process of doing a RPG book, and am having trouble coming up with a map.

Brand new RPG company just getting started, potential paid work in the future.

My only request is that it can be "cut" in four pieces, easier to describe sections of a map than the hole one at once.

I don't care about style, but Grey scale or B/W would probably work fine. I am also a fan of pencil sketches.

I even tried a few tutorials and they all sucked. ;)

Thanks in advance,
Michael Garcia
Quick and Dirty Games
quickanddirtygames.com

Ascension
06-27-2009, 07:54 AM
We have a number of fine artists here who can do B&W line art...I'm sure that they'll be along in a few days but you'll need to put up an e-mail so that they can contact you. A link to some examples would also be helpful to weed out those who work in a style that you don't want.

dungeonraiders
06-27-2009, 08:07 AM
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4839

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4744

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2796

Love this one http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3668

Didn't look much but found some that I like

and it doesn't have to be black and white or greyscale, I could you either. Put the BW in the book and give an 11x17 in color.

Ascension
06-27-2009, 08:17 AM
There ya go...we have a bunch of people who can work in that style (most of us actually) so you should get quite a lot of replies if we only knew your e-mail. Optionally, our forum uses private messages but you'll need to have 5 posts (3 more) in order to send and receive them if you don't have an e-mail.

dungeonraiders
06-27-2009, 08:23 AM
Sorry about that, dungeonraiders@gmail.com

-mike

Gamerprinter
06-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Not to be negative, but...

1. You said you've tried some tutorials, but they all sucked. Did you try the trials available on this site? Many are great tutorials and right up your ally in style.

2. While I am also a (very financially weak) but first time publisher and while I am creating all my own maps, I am having to pay for art - cover design, interior illustrations. I wouldn't dare ask an artist to do that for free.

3. Since your project is commercial and you seem to be only looking for a single map, I'd check your billfold and see if you can come up with $50, I'll bet you'll find plenty of cartographers if you were willing tp pay some reasonable amount of money. Don't pay until you get the map.

Only for a private, non-commercial user, would I even think to offer a map for no pay. For commercial users, pay or no map, is how I see things. Still somebody may comply. I just don't think its a good idea to ask for a commercial project map and no pay.

Expectations that a successful product will get more maps, seems OK, but will you be a success, risk the hope to create a map for no pay - too much risk.

My 2 cents.

GP

dungeonraiders
06-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Not to be negative, but...

1. You said you've tried some tutorials, but they all sucked. Did you try the trials available on this site? Many are great tutorials and right up your ally in style.

2. While I am also a (very financially weak) but first time publisher and while I am creating all my own maps, I am having to pay for art - cover design, interior illustrations. I wouldn't dare ask an artist to do that for free.

3. Since your project is commercial and you seem to be only looking for a single map, I'd check your billfold and see if you can come up with $50, I'll bet you'll find plenty of cartographers if you were willing tp pay some reasonable amount of money. Don't pay until you get the map.

Only for a private, non-commercial user, would I even think to offer a map for no pay. For commercial users, pay or no map, is how I see things. Still somebody may comply. I just don't think its a good idea to ask for a commercial project map and no pay.

Expectations that a successful product will get more maps, seems OK, but will you be a success, risk the hope to create a map for no pay - too much risk.

My 2 cents.

GP

1. The tutorials here are excellent it just came out wrong "my" attempts at the tuts sucked.

2. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to do *anything* for free. No such thing as a free lunch.

Someone pointed me in this direction, figured it doesn't hurt to try.

-mike

Ascension
06-27-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm sure that you'll get some replies but you may have to wait a week or two (this being summer and all)...well in the northern hemisphere. We have some great artists here who do commission work for the various companies out there but if you don't get any nibbles then hit me up and I'll see what I can come up with, this style isn't my strongest but I could use the practice.

dungeonraiders
06-27-2009, 06:21 PM
At this time I would take any kind of map. Don't really have a deadline(since i'm doing the work) I could wait. But without a map I have little to describe physically in the world, and it's putting me behind schedule because all I have left is the fluff, crunch is done.

I don't care if its an old one new one "crappy" one. I just need something to work with.

I saw you style of map and it is very good looking, just need to see what any of them would look in greyscale.

I'll give credit where credit is due. And if it makes it to print I'll give a copy to the cartographer, if it doesn't make it past PDF you could have one of them too.

-mike

Ascension
06-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Well here's an example of a recent map; half black and white, half sepia. If ya don't get any replies for exactly what you're lookin for then I can whip ya up something like this fairly quick.

dungeonraiders
06-27-2009, 08:58 PM
That is awesome. Both the sepia and the gray look pretty good. I could most definitely use that or similar.

Some of you guys amaze me. I'd never have that kind of talent. But hopefully this works and I start getting some cash flow going then I'd be more than happy to pay, you guys rock.

-mike

Gandwarf
06-28-2009, 06:08 AM
Ascension, that map rocks in sepia.
Sooner or later I am going to have to commission you myself :)

Ascension
06-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Looking at your site I saw that Chgowiz is there...couldn't he do the map?

dungeonraiders
06-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Didn't know he did maps.

Ascension
08-02-2009, 10:56 PM
DR has given me permission to post the maps that I've been doing for him (which is why I haven't posted any maps lately). He and I get together every few days and make changes so it's probably safe to assume that these will be changing in the future. These maps are to serve as a basis for him to start writing and then down the line maybe hire someone to do the maps up properly.

The first map is what I start with, in my usual style. The second map is an antique version of the same map (those mountains took me 4 days to do the lil buggers). The third is the village where the players will start. He also wanted a tutorial on how to make the village so that he could do his own long after I was gone and he could keep the style consistent...you can find that here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6536). It is not finished nor is it close I just put up what I have so far so that folks could maybe use it for the current challenge.

Gandwarf
08-03-2009, 03:29 AM
Very nice Ascension! Love both ancient style and your new city style.
Looks like you have been a busy bee...

Steel General
08-03-2009, 06:40 AM
I think you're definitely on to something with the city tutorial. I know you're still tweaking it, but the one thing that kinda jumps out at me is that the trees/forests appear to 'float'. Just a suggestion here, maybe shorten and darken the shadows for them *shrugs*

The hand drawn-map is very cool, no way I'd have the patience to draw all of those mountains. :)