PDA

View Full Version : 1st map using cc3 (land of prydon)

Davros01
06-28-2009, 08:24 AM
I have had the cartographer for a while, but haven't had the time to devote. i've decided to make the time, but before I did, I wanted to get the communities thoughts to see if my basic mapping looks ok, and to take any suggestions. I am basically using the Annual World.

The Land of the Prydyn is a semi arctic area, meant as a rugged and dangeorus place. its sparcely populated, and the real world analog for them is a cross between the mountain men, and the celts. Please let me know what you think, and what I can do to improve it before I begin on the rest of the world.

thx,
Marc

originally posted a the CC3 forum, but a very helpful member suggest this forum as a good place.

Gandwarf
06-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Welcome Davros!
I already commented on the Profantasy forum, so I am not going to repeat myself here. I am sure others will come along and comment.

I gave you some reputation for posting your first map over here.

Steel General
06-28-2009, 11:51 AM
This looks nice so far. Would love to see a larger/higher rez version of it though before I try to make any meaningful suggestions, etc.

NeonKnight
06-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Looks good, and a wonderful start!.

Ascension
06-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I think it looks great. I don't know the first thing about CC3 but this looks like it could have been done in something else which means it's really cool.

Syt
06-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Looking good. :) What template are you using? The rivers seem a bit off at their connection with the sea.

KeithC
06-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Glad to see your map posted over here as well. Can't wait to see how it evolves with the additional input you'll get.

Davros01
06-28-2009, 10:54 PM
All,

thanks for your comments and encouragement.

I've added another bit, although i'm not happy with it yet. Its the malwa empire. a tropical nation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Based on several comments, i'm going to change the rivers to reflect a bit more blue (and fix some of the connection issues)

Please continue the comments. I am definitely trying to incorporate much of it.

thx again,
Marc

Syt
06-29-2009, 02:13 AM
I think the rivers look in general better now. :) There's a little icon in CC (I don't have a copy at work) that looks like a line with a point on it. If you click it while drawing your rivers (or roads or whatever) and then the line you want it to connect to it will "stick". :)

Something else I noticed is that your tributaries to the "main rivers" look a bit off in that their direction seems to go against the flow of the main body (i.e. the main river goes to left, and the river flowing into it goes to the right) which is rather unusual in real life.

bartmoss
07-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Ehm don't use bmp's, please, they are terribly large. Try to use PNG instead, at least.

Davros01
07-06-2009, 11:40 PM
I haven't made that much progress on the overall landscape. i've been going through the various symbol sets and seeing whats there.

Please let me know if the new trees work better or worse than the other trees. also, i darkened up the water some. what does everyone think.

thx,
Marc

Ascension
07-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Honestly, I like everything except the trees...they look like mountains. I don't know anything about CC3 but I'm hoping that there is something more artistic to use that meshes better with the mountains. Very nice job otherwise, though, artsy and pleasing color scheme.

Steel General
07-07-2009, 06:17 AM
Regarding the trees - I have to agree with Ascension they just don't fit with the style of mountains you are using (which are quite nice).

You also have some river anomalies - they generally come together/merge as the approach the see, not split. It's a common mistake among new mapmakers - did it myself bunches of times.

A good analogy for rivers (put forth by another member of the guild) is to think of a tree, where the smaller branches and limbs start in the mountains and come together to create the trunk as it approaches the sea/ocean.

Davros01
07-07-2009, 07:40 AM
well,

the concensus seems clear. these trees are out.

Rivers..... they are giving me fits. I'll have to go look at some real world maps and see what they look like.

thx for input!!

Davros01
07-07-2009, 09:52 AM
alright,

went back to the original form of trees, and tinkered with the rivers. The rivers, i've added different widths and messed with the colors.

Don't worry about connection issues, i'll police that up once i'm on the right track with the rivers.

the goal of this island is cold, greenland type of land

landorl
07-07-2009, 03:36 PM
So often I see people miss out on the potential of CC3, but this map is looking awesome so far! Keep the good work coming!

Davros01
07-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Well, I've moved on from prydyn and started on the Dominion of Ur. The intent of Ur is a relatively barren landscape, much of it blasted by some ancient power. leaving the northern relatively untouched, while the south became a wasteland. This is my first draft for Ur. Not really happy with it, and will take any suggestions anyone might have.

Up to this point, I appreciate every comment thats come in, i'm trying to incorporate them, although i am beginning to despise rivers!!

thx,
Marc

NeonKnight
07-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Looking good!

But....do you need to use symbols for trees? I find that at times a lack of symbols looks better than a large collection of symbols. Sort of the 'less is more' approach.

But still, very nice. You may want to 'smooth' the edges of the forests from the sharp corners to more rounded.

BlackMojo
07-14-2009, 03:11 PM
looking good! i must ask, how did you get that lovely gray-blue blur for the ocean? and how did you get the blurry land effects? thanks.

Davros01
07-15-2009, 07:38 AM
The dark borders is a glow effect (outer). I find alot of ppl assume the glow needs to be bright, but alot of the map styles have darker ones, which I kinda like.

as for the blurry terrain. mainly I use the contour effect with edge fade. u can set it at various strengths and lengths.

i hope this helps,
Marc

Davros01
07-17-2009, 07:25 AM
Phase 4 is complete (at least enough to request input)

The Jundi Confederacy has been added. The intent is that three separate nations under one precarious rule. All from a city called Kapital (cauz each has a separate name).

I've started playing with borders (i always liked those on older colored maps)

Its also a bit crowded with words. not sure if it works or not, some of the old styles had alot of writing.

based on an earlier post, i've started going a bit more minimalist with forests, trying to use colored contours with just a bit of forest. how does that look.

**** please ignore everything but Prydon, The dominion, and the Jundi Confederacy. These are just place holders for now.

As always, any ideas are appreciated

Gandwarf
07-17-2009, 08:09 AM
It's great to see you working to a finished map and seeing all the progress. The map looks good so far. The only thing I don't care much for are the trees (some of the symbols near the edges get cut off and it creates a weird look I think).

I was wondering why you suddenly started using borders, but then I read you are experimenting. The borders do add something to the map I think.

Davros01
07-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Alright,

the trees seem to be universally disliked... i have changed prydon (provisionally) to reflect a basic style in cc3. please let me know if it works or no?? i can play around with shadings and such.

thx,
Marc

lol, trees and rivers, my bane :)

Gandwarf
07-17-2009, 09:10 AM
That symbol could work, but the trees are far too large at the moment.

Davros01
07-20-2009, 06:44 PM
well,

making some progress. don't know if it is good progress.

Forests - the individual style trees don't seem to work well with this map style. however, i've added some effects to the trees so that they are muted, and added more colors to convey them.

borders - most of the world is covered with political borders ( I always liked the older maps with them

Also, more place names are being added ( I also like the old mercatur style maps that were a bit crowded. makes you look to see whats there).

please give me any feedback you might have.

thx,
Marc

Albrechtw4
07-21-2009, 09:54 PM
I hope "Port o' Potti" is a permanent name and not a place holder.

Steel General
07-22-2009, 06:06 AM
I hope "Port o' Potti" is a permanent name and not a place holder.

Ditto that... :)

Davros01
07-23-2009, 04:07 PM
All,

I'm trying to get the final touches on my map. please take a look at the final product and tell me what you think.

looking forward to developing this world further.

thx,
Marc

Gandwarf
07-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Oh my god... you have totally messed it up!
No, just kidding. Really like the result, but would like to see a bigger version?

Why did you attach two maps by the way?

waldronate
07-23-2009, 04:21 PM
One looks political and one geographic. At least that's what my stereo-deltagrapher says.

Gandwarf
07-23-2009, 04:21 PM
Ah, yeah now I notice some borders and colors in the first, thanks.

Ascension
07-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I don't notice anything missing or messed up but I what I do see is that it totally kicks butt for a CC3 map. Very nice colors and shading. Well done, man.

Coyotemax
07-24-2009, 02:35 AM
Zuul, Mothrix, Rodan, I detect a subtle monster theme here :)

I love the map, and the history that's being developed! And Port o' Potti is brilliant, I wish I'd thought of that!