PDA

View Full Version : WIP Ė Volcanic Island

pasis
06-30-2009, 08:16 AM
I have been away for few months and only occasionally lurking here. But now I have got a bit more free time and decided to spend it well by reheating one of my unfinished maps.

The volcano on this island has been sleeping for centuries and is now about to swallow the nearby villages.

Alfar
06-30-2009, 08:28 AM
I like the forests and cliffs - very nice. Your volcano feels a little flat to me, though.

Also, the smoke looks somewhat odd - maybe it's the slant on it? Heavy wind from the west? Could also be that it doesn't fade out evenly at the top - if it's dispersing at the edges, I'd expect it to disperse in the middle of the smoke cloud, I guess.

pasis
06-30-2009, 09:04 AM
I will defenately have a new go with the smoke as it is a new thing for me and it's fun to experiment. Usually the smoke spreads around to a large area and it would cover too large part of the island, so there is a balance I have to find here.

Steel General
06-30-2009, 09:07 AM
I like it... though I agree the smoke should spread out some. You might consider looking at a tutorial on realistic clouds then darkening them up, maybe that'll give you the effect you want *shrugs*

RobA
06-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Here are a couple reference shots at a similar scale, the first from nasa and the second from national geographic:

http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/Spinoff2008/images/ct-10.jpeg
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/01/photogalleries/week-in-news-pictures-115/images/primary/090129-03-satellite-volcano-pictures_461.jpg

-Rob A>

Redrobes
06-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Very nice map. I posted some volcano smoke in the refs section just a few days ago so be sure to check that one too.

pasis
07-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Thanks for all the comments...
The smoke seems to be a tricky thing. I played and played with it but I couldn't get anyhing that would look good. The smoke has to be dense and layered with thick round shapes and mine was the opposite. I'll give it a new go when I get back from work later today.

pasis
07-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Finally I got something decent done. This is the first version of the new smoke. At least it is better than the first one.

Jykke
07-02-2009, 04:41 PM
nice looking smoke, care to share how did you manage to do it ? Just asking because of the big improvement over the last version.

RobA
07-02-2009, 05:01 PM
I have to agree with Jykke - that new smoke is schweet!

-Rob A>

pasis
07-02-2009, 05:55 PM
The smoke is hand drawn with tablet borrowed from my fried. I had several reference pictures mostly found from the quild pages to see how the clouds and smoke is formed.
I started painting with airbrush using a light and dark tone of grey to create roughly spherical shapes. Then I added shades of orange and browns and some white higlights.
I also created few new layers to add 3D feeling the same way as I do with my mountains. This way I got more higlights and shadows in the right places. More details of that technique is found from my tutorial. http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4405

I now also played a bit with water and added waves and ripples. Let me know if you don't like it and if I should stick with the previous water version.

ravells
07-02-2009, 07:34 PM
The smoke is fantastic!

Alfar
07-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Much much better!

Ascension
07-02-2009, 11:31 PM
That volumetric smoke is great, has a real depth to it. Rep for that as I now have something new to learn. I like the previous water tho.

Steel General
07-03-2009, 08:35 AM
I agree that the smoke is much better now.

I kinda like the water too.

pasis
07-05-2009, 04:41 PM
I think I'm now finished with my smoke. I'm happy with it and I cannot make it any better. I tweaked the water a bit more to give it better sun reflection and wave form. I added few rivers and small lakes, but no habitaion yet, it will be next.

And just before posting I added legend too. I usually do that last, but I felt I had to do something else than drawing more rivers or something. I wanted the legend to represent the Island so I made it to look like rusting metal with fire in it.

zhar2
07-05-2009, 04:48 PM
I cant get over how nice that smoke just is :shock:

amoliski
07-05-2009, 06:00 PM
The smoke is VERY impressive, I wish i had a tenth of your artistic talent!

pasis
07-06-2009, 07:29 AM
I had this photo of a village symbol from Tellaro Italy in the left. The octopus itself was great, but the picture or more precise the lighting was not perfect. So I retouched it, cleaned up the shadows, enhanced the colors and added missing details. Then I added some more rust to it to blend better with the colors of the legends I had created yesterday. I started playing with image distortion and reflections and finally came up with nice glass effect. So now the octopus is inside a solid glass mass and looks great.

Steel General
07-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Very cool...

pasis
07-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Applied the octopus to the map and used it as a compas. No other changes...

pasis
07-07-2009, 06:28 AM
I have a challenge again and now with the villages. The style of this map is "realistic" so symbols are not an option here. The scale is so that each pixel represents about 50 meters and if I would do the villages in scale, no-one would find them, so I will have to do something in between. I'm hoping to get something finished this evening, but so far all my attempts have been in vain.

I also have a story for this island ready and I will put some small parts of it into the map somehow, or maybe I won't, I don't know, we'll see...

Redrobes
07-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Thats good that your thinking about the scale. Your map must be 108 km top to bottom then. A village would be about 200 - 600 m across so you will need one or perhaps two regional maps to fill in. If you go for about a 5km regional map then you could just about do it with one regional one but it might be easier to do a 20km one too. Its more work but not double since you might be able to reuse the 20km one for another village later on.

pasis
07-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Thats good that your thinking about the scale. Your map must be 108 km top to bottom then. A village would be about 200 - 600 m across so you will need one or perhaps two regional maps to fill in. If you go for about a 5km regional map then you could just about do it with one regional one but it might be easier to do a 20km one too. Its more work but not double since you might be able to reuse the 20km one for another village later on.

Regional maps...hmm...good idea. I thought I was almost finished with this map, but maybe I'm not ;)

In meanwhile here is where I'm now. I made a compromise with the villages / towns and made them larger than they should be, but I might change them when I do the regional maps. Roads (the few that exists) are there also, labels too and some other stuff. In white text I added few snapshots from the story / history I wrote.
Please let me know your comments and suggestions.

Karro
07-07-2009, 10:37 AM
I know I'm late to the party here. But the smoke on that volcano is "teh awesome".

Gandwarf
07-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Great work Pasis. I had to rep you...
At first I didn't like what you were doing with this map, but your latest version is beautiful. The smoke is indeed "teh awesome", but the colors, the font, the writing... it's all working so great together!

Your compass is even more awesome than the smoke I think... how did you do that??
(oops, I noticed you explained it on the previous page!)

Sooner or later I am going to start a Pasis fanclub ;)

MadLetter
07-07-2009, 03:37 PM
Sooner or later I am going to start a Pasis fanclub ;)

I'll join!

Redrobes
07-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Its there waiting for you...

pasis
07-09-2009, 05:30 AM
played around some more with the compass I had created and added some spiral reflections. The reflections are not perfect as I created a separate spiral image and put it overlaying (with clipping mask) the original compass I had, but it look nice anyway.

The spiral image was created by using a freeware tool called Apophysis and even though this is not directly related to map making I thought I could show it anyway.

pasis
07-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Experimenting new things with this map, but I donít have any real 3D software, so Iíll do it manually with Photoshop. This is a first try and yes I know the wooden texture is too overwhelming / repeating and I need to fix it. I wanted the wooden table to be old and rough with some scratches in it. The effect is ok, but I need to work on the tone and the texture itself.
Iím planning to make the smoke to come out from the map, but in this version I have not processed it yet (and Iím not sure if I can do it but I'll try). I have never mapped anything in 3-D before and this is not actually a real 3D, but just a 2D image in Photoshop, so all comments and critics are more than welcome.

-Pasi

Gandwarf
07-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Cool idea about the smoke! It's going to be interesting to see how it works out.

My only nitpick at the moment is with the wood texture and you already know about it.

altasilvapuer
07-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Ooh, I like that idea! And you know, when I look at the map, the light blue flavour text almost seems to float up at me, too, just like the smoke will. Perhaps you could play that up a little?

The only downside of this angle/approach at the moment, though, is that it makes the title look a little flat, to me, personally. I'd recommend floating it, too, but the voice in the back of my head suggests that might be going a little overboard.

I love the concept, though! Very intriguing!

-asp

minifidel
07-25-2009, 12:38 AM
It's a wonderful looking map, and I know I'm late to the party, but the smoke looks absolutely fantastic. Your idea about having the smoke floating out of the map sounds interesting.

Jykke
07-25-2009, 02:11 AM
It would be interesting looking if the whole map was on 3d. I personally like more that it is just plain 2d and not 3d, because it will take so much attention away from the details etc. People will just look that there's a map layed on the table and not actually see all the stuff that's in it. Just my thought about it..

pasis
07-25-2009, 03:50 AM
It would be interesting looking if the whole map was on 3d. I personally like more that it is just plain 2d and not 3d, because it will take so much attention away from the details etc. People will just look that there's a map layed on the table and not actually see all the stuff that's in it. Just my thought about it..

I do agree it looses a lot when the map is not really 3D. Making it more 3D means I would have to draw most parts again and it doesn't sound that tempting. I will check how far I can pull this way and if it will be worth posting. I'm short on time now, so I'll put here what I have so far.

Jykke
07-25-2009, 03:58 AM
Well, it's looking better than I thought, but the image quality seems to have taken a big hit there.. just because of the resizing etc.. What might help with the fonts getting blurry, is actually working with the version that has the fonts unrasterized. If you applied the same perspective to them, it would preserve the quality a bit better (though it might mess up your effects on the text). But what comes to the landscape getting blurry etc, only thing what comes to my mind is working on a larger resolution version, and scaling it down later. Don't know if that helps at all :D Best option probably would just be to have the map rendered on a 3d program along with the table.

Jykke
07-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Ok so I tested the 3d thing out for you (even if you didn't ask for it..) but here's a quick render of your map with vue. Sorry about the poor table texture, but that shoudn't matter as the image is just to demonstrate this method..

Gandwarf
07-25-2009, 06:00 AM
This is so cool :)
Magical map...

Steel General
07-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Neat stuff, and the table texture isn't bad at all.

Ascension
07-25-2009, 01:28 PM
If you have your original text on a separate layer then skew that to fit and add a drop shadow and they'll float. Good stuff here by everyone contributing...kind of like a mass experiment. I'm gonna have to unzip my trial version of Vue one of these days and play with it when I get some time.

pasis
07-26-2009, 02:17 AM
Last try before going to a vacation. Spent a more time with it to get better 3D quality. It looks better now especially when I added some lighting to it. But as it is done with photoshop and not a read 3D program any editing requires quite a lot of work.

ravells
07-26-2009, 05:10 AM
Hi Pasis, gorgeous work and imaginative work as usual. Not sure if you've already tried this but one way to make the map look more '3d ish' would be to make a grayscale height map out of your contenents and use that as your channel on the 'Render Lighting effects' filter.?

Another way might be to download a free 3d program like Bryce 5.5, and use your map as a texture fill.

Some links: RoA's forced perspective (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1046&highlight=forced+perspective)
My efforts at using Bryce / FT for a 3d effect. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=3306#post3306)

Of course Redrobes and Waldronate are miles ahead on this type of mapping now...

Gandwarf
07-26-2009, 05:18 AM
I think the smoke works pretty well. Not a huge fan of the wood texture.

ravells
07-26-2009, 05:25 AM
mmm looking at the wood texture each of the 'boards' is identical which may be a part of it.

Gandwarf
07-26-2009, 05:29 AM
Yeah, I guess that's mostly it. I think Pasis knows it as well.

Jykke
07-26-2009, 05:44 AM
It probably works best as a normal map I think.