PDA

View Full Version : Gryphon's Watch - continued and finally finished

Steel General
07-08-2009, 01:39 PM
OK, since I didn't have time to finish this for the June Challenge I figured I'd move it over here and hopefully get motivated to finish it.

I think one of the hardest things to do on a building/structure map is/are the furnishings.

So here's the latest, made some progress (but not much), on the ground, 1st & 2nd floors I redid the spiral stairway. While I like it better than what I had I'm still not completely happy with it.

The ground floor is pretty much complete except for the armory. I did have the guard barracks there but felt it would better server as an armory.

So as always fell free to leave any C&C you like.

P.S. If any one comes across a good image of a sword with a gryphon/eagle pommel please post it in this thread.

töff
07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
*rallying cheer from somewhere up in the nosebleed seats*

MysticMagellan
07-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing this completed and I'll going to keep one eye on this thread to see your progress. A small comment - the top level floor texture looks slightly darker and more densely packed than the lower levels. Is that intentional?

Regarding the gryphon sword request. I might be able to draw you up one if I have time.

Steel General
07-09-2009, 07:00 AM
A small comment - the top level floor texture looks slightly darker and more densely packed than the lower levels. Is that intentional?

Yup, I wanted to 'dirty it up' a bit, without going overboard. I may change it back to match the rest - we'll see.

Steel General
07-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Regarding the gryphon sword request. I might be able to draw you up one if I have time.

Completely missed this part of your post, the first time.

If you have time to draw one up, that would be wonderful. I actually need the entire hilt (and maybe even a small part of the blade), but would be perfectly happy with just the pommel.

Phantos
07-09-2009, 05:06 PM
Sweet little keep, I hope you pursue it!

Steel General
07-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Having a tough time getting motivated to work on this, but I'm determined to see it finished...

So small update today - finished the ground floor and am probably about 60% done with the 1st floor.

Anywho...feel free to leave any C&C.

Tear
07-15-2009, 06:34 PM
The first thing that struck me when looking at the map was that the griffin in the center of most floors is too dominant to get by as an engraving/inlay/painting on the floor.

Maybe something along these lines would be an idea:
(I know it's not perfect but I guess you get what I mean)

Steel General
07-16-2009, 06:48 AM
@Tear - Yeah, I'm been thinking about doing something with those, just haven't quite got around to it yet. Hard enough to do all the furnishings, so I'll get back to those after I finish the rest of it.

Thanks for your comments.

Jykke
07-16-2009, 06:54 AM
It's quite a lot of work to furnishall the whole map. And to make it look like the rooms are actually used for certain purpose. I hope you'll have the patience to finish this one :)

Steel General
07-17-2009, 02:05 PM
OK so the work continues, though very slowly...

Decided to turn the roof level into a small aerie (sp?).
The level below that is more or less a room for magical scrying and such.
Not sure what I'm going to do with the 4th level - open for suggestions.
Library is on the 3rd level - very tedious/boring placing shelving units otherwise it would be further along.

As always C&C welcome...

MysticMagellan
07-17-2009, 06:56 PM
How about moving the commander and sub-commander's quarters to level 4 and make the outer area an office or war room. Then you could double the soldier's quarters or maybe add a kitchen to level 2?

Steel General
07-17-2009, 07:04 PM
Definitely some good ideas there MM, will give that some thought.

MysticMagellan
07-17-2009, 08:26 PM
I drew up a basic griffon-like sword. Let me know if you like it, and if you do I can add details, shading, runes, or whatever.

Steel General
07-18-2009, 07:32 AM
I drew up a basic griffon-like sword. Let me know if you like it, and if you do I can add details, shading, runes, or whatever.

I like it, but would it be possible for you to make the pommel stone the griffin head(s) and the quillons (not sure if that's the proper term) the claws?

MysticMagellan
07-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Something like this?

Steel General
07-19-2009, 09:08 AM
Yup that'll definitely work. Appreciate you taking the time to draw that.

Steel General
07-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Some more progress on this today...

Finished off the library
Added a second barracks chamber on the second floor and moved the dining room
Added an additional guest room on the 3rd floor
The "Castellan's" room will be moved to the 4th floor along with more generic quarters for additional guests.
Some additional furnishings in the Scrying Chamber - still not done tho

I think that's about it...hope to have this finished this week. I'm closing in on the point where I'm about to get tired of looking at it :)

Steel General
07-21-2009, 12:40 PM
So I've finally finished "interior decorating", and as I said before it is very tedious. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

All I'm waiting for now is for MysticMagellan to finish the sword he offered to make for me (thank you again BTW) and then I'll be ready to wrap this up.

I also added some heraldic gryphon heads in the corner for a little decoration

So here's what we have;

Ground Level: Kitchen, store room, sitting room, temple, guard room, armory, servants quarters
1st Floor: Barracks (2), Formal dining room
2nd Floor: Library
3rd Floor: Fancy guest quarters
4th Floor:Castellan's Room, other guest quarters
5th Floor: Scrying & conference room
Roof Level: Gryphon Aerie

As always C&C encouraged and appreciated.

P.S. Not sure why the uploaded image looks so crappy, looks fine in Photoshop before uploading.
P.P.S. Not the image, it was the monitor I was looking at earlier. Now that I'm home it looks fine.

MysticMagellan
07-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Here's the sword. I tried to match colors and style for the map. Let me know if you want anything more.

Steel General
07-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Awesome!

Again, I really appreciate you taking the time to make the sword. I doubt I could have done anywhere near as good a job with it.

Steel General
07-22-2009, 10:01 AM
So here's the finished version. I'll also be posting it up in the finished maps forum

MysticMagellan
07-22-2009, 07:40 PM
I noticed the sword I posted has a white matte. I created another with color transparency that should blend seamlessly.