PDA

View Full Version : ***June/July Lite Challenge Voting - Archeology***

ravells
07-10-2009, 07:30 PM
VOTE FOR 1 (ONE)

view the thumbnails here Jun 09 Thumbnails (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_LiteJun09.htm)

(http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_Jun09.htm)

Summary of the rules for this month's challenge:

Draw an abandoned city, excavated ruins, or the layout of a tomb. This can be a real location, or someplace completely fictional.

Must include:
-A list of major finds and where and/or when they were located at the site. (examples: relics, art, weapons, bones, etc)

-At least one detail presented in exposition. (examples: magnified diagram of the king's tomb, picture of an artifact, photo of the archeologist, etc)

Not too many entries this month , but a lot of effort in the few.

Good Voting everyone!

Gandwarf
07-10-2009, 07:53 PM
Voted for Immolate as I think he best caught the spirit of this challenge. Some amazingly beautiful work by the others though!

Jykke
07-10-2009, 07:54 PM
My vote went for syt's map, because it had that nice post apocalyptic feel to it.

Syt
07-11-2009, 12:50 AM
My vote goes to Jake - I really like his adventurer's guide/expedition diary feeling.

Steel General
07-11-2009, 09:08 AM
I voted for Immolate, as like Gandwarf I felt that his best fit the overall theme of the challenge.

Immolate
07-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I voted for Syt because I felt his entry was excellent, but beyond that, it was the most shared experience because he took the time to document the process and trusted us not to help and not judge him adversely for learning. The Lite contest should be a journey of discovery for both contestant and judge, and Syt's entry honors that by letting us see the progress unfold--on the map and in his mind.

Wonderful job everyone and rep for all for making the effort.

NeonKnight
07-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Can't get to Thumbs :(

NeonKnight
07-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Had to look the 'hard way'.

My vote went to Immolate, for the very evocative entry of the Wellington Dig.

Here is my reason.

In 1985, I began my illustrious yet short live university career (I only made it through two years before being placed on academic probation and then started a summer job that would become my career). But it was what I majored in at university that speaks volumes to this challenge.

And what did I major in?

If you didn't guess by now I am giving you each BAD rep. It was....ARCHAEOLOGY! That's right, I was pursuing a BA in Archaeology.

So, looking at the entries, Immolates was the one that struck me as being closest to something I would see on a real dig site. The Map was broken down into squares (which is done before any digging even begins so that artifacts can be accurately recorded when found (i.e. Bronze Adze, located in Area 24-b, 3 metres down, etc, etc.)

The other entries were stellar, and I could easily see some of them being in a Movie or something like Relic Hunter or Indiana Jones or something, but again, Immolates brought me back to my past.

And Yes Immolate, there WAS bronze age Man in the U.K.

Immolate
07-11-2009, 01:50 PM
NeonK,

Yeah if you read through my entire WIP thread you'll see that I self-educated as I worked through the map. The original village (never posted) was full of irregular but most-assuredly rectangular structures until I learned more about the actual culture of bronze-age Britain. I would actually love to participate in building a roundhouse now that I've learned so much about them, but I live in a place where the ground is sand, hardwood is dreadfully expensive, and zoning laws are of the soul-destroying variety. Besides, nobody would really want to lay thatch, as it was a difficult and itchy job at the best of times. I did build a roundhouse for my dog last year though, if that counts :)

Gandwarf
07-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Cool house. Now I want to see your dog :D

Immolate
07-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Her name is Cinders. We give her everything she wants. Everything.

Gandwarf
07-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Her name is Cinders. We give her everything she wants. Everything.

Yes... I can see why you would want to give her anything she desires.
I will now create an altar for her and start to worship.

Nice doggie!

Steel General
07-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Cinders - God of Canines in the CWBP! :D

Immolate
07-11-2009, 11:06 PM
"Stare deep into my eyes and know thy doom, oh mortal!!! SQUIRREL!......................................... .................................................. .................................................. ............."

waldronate
07-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Distractable minions are the best kind! Nothing like dragging a rag soaked in a certain scent across the roadway to draw away the evil mage's gnoll guards.

ravells
07-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Congratulations on the win, Immolate! Enjoy your silver compass!

Don't forget everyone to rep the person you voted for if you can!

Redrobes
07-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Well done immolate. You and your dog|god can celebrate with whatever ritual you deem suitable.

Immolate
07-16-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks Redrobes, ravells, and everyone who took the time to enter, offer advise on, and vote for their favorite map. I am deeply honored by the award and though it is an award for beginners, the competition since I've been around has been fierce. A beginner here is often a seriously talented and creative force.

This is only my third contest, but I love the way that the contests force you to be a better cartographer and go that extra mile to add that last bit of zing to your creation, to do that last bit of research or spend that last hour of tutorial time. Though I am still very much a beginner, I believe I have learned an enormous amount about Photoshop and map making in the couple of months I've been going to school here.

Thanks again, those who voted for me, those who voted for the other fantastic entries and those who, through competition and generous suggestions, motivated me to do better than I could do alone.

Syt
07-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Congrats, Immolate, it's a win well deserved. :)