PDA

View Full Version : The Lands of Orbonne

misteradam
07-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Hello friends and fellow artists,

Here is my latest cartographic effort. Ink on paper + some photoshop magic.

-Adam

Ascension
07-11-2009, 11:44 PM
This is stellar. I like everything except the mtns, they don't seem to measure up to the forests and towns in terms of detail. I know that detailing them more will make them darker and stand out more and draw the eye, but maybe if you did it in a gray...I dunno. Awesome nonetheless.

misteradam
07-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks Ascension! I agree with you- looking at it again, the mountains don't pop out as much as they should. If I end up making a color version of this, that will definitely be addressed.

Gandwarf
07-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Repped! Great map. Really like the perspective and symbols, especially the variety. The farmland symbols are almost cute ;)

Some critique though:
- The line representing the coast is much too thick I think. It's distracting. Did you try something a bit toned down?
- I agree with Ascension that the mountains could use some help to pop out more.
- It looks like the big river to the north is splitting? This is very unusual in the real world as water tends to take the path of least resistance.
Or is the river upside down and starting from the ocean? It's kinda messing with my head at the moment...

So what's up with the Sea of Glass, it looks like an entire town is buried underneath it? Is it frozen?

Really great map, something to look at for minutes... I love all the little details. Seems like a fun world to explore.

Steel General
07-12-2009, 09:37 AM
Very nice, looks like it came out of the inside of a hard-bound book.

I think the mountains lack some of the extra details you put into the forests. The trees seem to really 'pop' and the mountains seem kinda flat.

misteradam
07-12-2009, 11:33 AM
thanks for your critiques, guys! I'll make some amendments to this.

Gandwarf
07-13-2009, 03:46 PM
So misteradam, was this map made because of this thread?
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4455&highlight=orbonne

I just noticed Elena was asking for a map of the continent of Orbonne.

misteradam
07-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Gandwarf- I've been found out!

Elena
07-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Hehehe :) he contacted me there. Adam is honestly one of the most awesome people I've ever worked with on a commission project.

Gandwarf
07-14-2009, 07:33 AM
he contacted me there. Adam is honestly one of the most awesome people I've ever worked with on a commission project.

Good to know :)

misteradam
07-19-2009, 11:59 PM
I worked up some revisions..thanks for your help guys! And thanks for the props, Elena. It was a fun map to do.

Ramah
01-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Oh... I'd completely missed this map. Great stuff. Really well done. :)

the-golem
01-21-2010, 03:01 PM
This is the exact sort of map style I'm aiming to do myself.

If you don't mind, could you perhaps explain the process you use?

torstan
01-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Beautiful work. Well done. I particularly like Sailor's End.

misteradam
01-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks all, glad you like!

the-golem: I don't mind at all!

I drew it with some brush and micron pens on a peice of 24"30" paper, some nice smooth finish strathmoore 500 series, 2 ply plate.

Scanned it in and made some corrections in photoshop, drawing on it with a tablet. A few of the lines were created with the pen tool like the wall and some of the continental borders, but it's essentially all "hand drawn" custom made icons.