PDA

View Full Version : JUNE ENTRY: Niagara

RobA
06-13-2007, 01:39 PM
This is just a WIP.

I contour traced the Niagara peninsula, and drew in all the rivers and water. Wow. Something I would have never tried without my tablet :) This now gives me a "clean" basemap to work with as the areal photo was too cluttered.

I oriented the map so E is up. Still haven't decided on the style. I think I will play a bit now that the tracing is done....

Haven't decided anything else yet. I'm still not sure is I should leave in the Welland Canal, or not, but we shall see....

I think I also will want to grossly distort the scales of various terrain features that I want to make "important"...

-Rob A>

ravells
06-14-2007, 10:15 AM
The rivers look fantastic!

RobA
06-14-2007, 04:47 PM
The rivers look fantastic!

Thanks! You never appreciate the detail of real rivers and streams until you trace them :)

Here is the same map with a bit of antiquing, a fer more rivers, and a light bump map to highlight the terrain and the escarpment.

Next step is adding features and (some) colorizing...

-Rob A>

ravells
06-14-2007, 07:17 PM
This is beginning to look truly amazing! I love the textures and the colours. It's hanging together really well. I'm very jealous! :)

The map has a really nice early 19th century feel to it. I hope you're going to do it as some sort of Daniel Boone type map!

Re the rivers: one always assumes that they are just wiggly lines that get larger as you go downstream; looking at yours there's a lot more to them than that. It just shows how important it is to learn how to draw from good references before you embark on the imaginative stuff.

marvelous work - can't wait to see the rest.

Ravs

heruca
06-14-2007, 07:20 PM
I may just have to get me one of those new digitizing tablets. I have a really old Wacom one that I can't use with my current computer (it's got one of those old Apple ADB connectors). :(

RobA
06-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Just to show how dependent the rivers are on the terrain... Here is a quick markup of the general features...

Hoseman
06-15-2007, 10:51 PM
I may just have to get me one of those new digitizing tablets. I have a really old Wacom one that I can't use with my current computer (it's got one of those old Apple ADB connectors). :(

I'm not a mac guy, but I knew there had to be an ADB to USB adapter. And there is!

Check out http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imate/

I don't know if you're using a PC now, or a Mac with USB ports...read the product description carefully, cause support varies. But hey..it's only $39.00. Hope this helps. :)

heruca
06-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the tip. I'm using a Mac with USB ports now, so that may be just the ticket.

RobA
06-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Latest Update. This represents an early era of Niagara that never was...

I realized the challenge was the "hometown" but figured I'd keep going with a region as the map is getting fun (even if it doesn't count...there still might be a last minute detail of one of the cities...)

I jumped over to Inkscape with a jpg of the map and started drawing trail and cities. Imported them back into the Gimp as paths, stroked them and started colouring. As the map is slightly more realistic than symbolic, I haven't decided if I will add tree/grassland/forest/scrub type symbols.

P.S. I really like the woodcut effect I managed for the water. Let me know if anyone is interested in the technique.

As always, looking for comments....

-Rob A>

pyrandon
06-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Looking great, Rob! Very, very cool. I love your color choices, especially.

How did you achieve the pattern effect from the stroke for the roads?

RobA
06-20-2007, 09:09 PM
The roads were imported as a SVG to a merged path. I just stroked the path with a 4 px solid line, then re-stroked the same path with a white dashed line.

The road layer is set to a multiply (IIR) blend mode.

-Rob A>

RPMiller
06-20-2007, 10:13 PM
That is really shaping up to be a beautiful map Rob! I love the subtle color changes and I'm envious of the elevation representation.

ravells
06-21-2007, 05:47 AM
This is looking simply superb. I love the way you've used the woodcut effect on the coast and the sponge effect for the sea (never seen that done before) - although I'm curious, there are two little blips on the right hand side off the coast line - are they meant to be anything specific?

The other thing that I love is that the rivers look ever so slightly indented into the landscape, but for the life of me I can't tell whether that's just an optical illusion with the colour scheme you've used or whether you've added a barely perceptible highlight on the edge of the river or the river banks. Do tell!

The landscape texture is just wow.

Maybe you can find someone to sell this map to when you've finished, maybe a local newspaper if they want to overlay specific information on top in relation to a story?

Really, really beautiful.

Ravs

RobA
06-21-2007, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the complements!

The two blips are small islands. I think I either need to emphasize them more, or eliminate them entirely (bwahaha....good-by islands, I have the power of of creation and destruction in my hands........

(sorry for that, got carried away for a sec... :D )

The rivers are kind of indented. I drew a height-field map of the area, then subtracted a blurred copy of the river layer from that, so when I applied the bump map to the main land layer it effectively embossed all the rivers. I also added a blurred copy of the rivers (and roads) to my layer mask for the colouring so there would be a barely perceptible clear area around them. This gave them a bit more punch.

-Rob A>

RobA
06-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Lunchtime Project-

Added some labels (but forgot to label the escarpment itself :) )and pumped up the colours with another wash layer...

heruca
06-21-2007, 02:59 PM
The coloring and texturing of the land on this map is absolutely fantastic. Top-notch stuff that I hope I can achieve someday if you'll share your secrets.

But I'm getting the feeling that there is a clash of styles between how the land mass is depicted and how the water is depicted. Have you considered doing away with the woodcut effect and going for a completely naturalistic approach on the water?

RobA
06-21-2007, 05:45 PM
But I'm getting the feeling that there is a clash of styles between how the land mass is depicted and how the water is depicted. Have you considered doing away with the woodcut effect and going for a completely naturalistic approach on the water?

I know what you mean. I started the map "old fashioned" in the water then just went crazy with the land.

Here is a redo of the water...

pyrandon
06-21-2007, 11:33 PM
I'd respond to this, but I'm busy picking up my eyeballs off the floor, since they popped out when I saw your revision...

RobA
06-25-2007, 02:44 PM
Well, I'm done with this.

I added the escarpment (more fun with Inkscape.....path along path is very cool BTW), a title, and a compass rose with East (represented by a cross) as up...

I'm done with this as I spent more time than planned (but it was fun!) and the deadline is now....

Here is a link to the general area:
http://maps.google.ca/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.049823,-79.271851&spn=0.714525,1.450195&z=10&om=1

-Rob A>