PDA

View Full Version : Y helo thar

Duerma
07-14-2009, 01:00 AM
I figured maybe I should introduce myself if I've been in your forum, asking for maps, taking tutorials, etc. and so forth. My name's Beth, I'm a mother of 3, and I live in Utah. Right now I'm DMing a D&D 4e campaign. Since I majored in Ancient Near Eastern Studies and Linguistics in college, I tend to be fairly obsessed with making elaborate political settings with meticulous naming standards... so making maps kind of falls in line with that. I can't say I've ever been particularly proficient in cartography, but then, I suppose I've never really tried, so this forum seems like the place to be.

So.... HI!

Alfar
07-14-2009, 03:19 AM
Hi there, and welcome!

Looks like you've come to the right place, yeah. Make yourself at home and let's see some maps! :)

Steel General
07-14-2009, 07:39 AM
Welcome Aboard!

Be sure to check out the tutorial section.

Immolate
07-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Welcome Beth. How's the 4e working out from a DM's perspective?

Duerma
07-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Welcome Beth. How's the 4e working out from a DM's perspective?
I really like it from a DM's perspective. Our group really varies in numbers - if everyone's there we have 7 players, but there are weeks when we have just 3. I had such a headache trying to scale encounters in 3E, but in 4E I can easily figure out how to modify the encounters to any number of people that show up. I love how the monster stat blocks detail how everything works right there so I don't have to spend time looking up every spell my dragon can cast, and that all the monsters have paragraphs written about tactics so I can run unfamiliar monsters without looking like a noob. It's also very nice how the DMG gives you precise guidelines for what treasure to give at each level. Basically, it makes the tedious stuff easy so I can focus on the story.

Granted, it's not perfect - I hate the skill challenges and I miss being able to give out spellbooks with AWESOME SPELL OF BADGUY PWNAGE for the wizards. In general, though, it's been great. :)

NeonKnight
07-15-2009, 02:56 AM
Welcome to the Guild.

As a Fellow 4e DM, I hear ya on all accounts.