PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Velesh

sarandosil
07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
This is a world a friend created, which I'm spiffifying the map for. It's very much a work in progress, both on the map-making and world building I think, so it won't be finished soon but comments are welcome.

Here it is in two different water styles. I've been putzing around all day in Photoshop trying to get an ocean and like and so far I'm not happy with any of them, but I might end up going with the first water style for the time being.

Tear
07-14-2009, 07:04 PM
I like the first a lot better than the second.

töff
07-14-2009, 07:31 PM
been putzing around all day in PhotoshopI wonder what that's like :|

I like the first one, too -- more character!

Ascension
07-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Add me in as another for the first. The second one looks like distort-glass while the first one looks like it was based off of some difference clouds that got hit with lighting effects (how I do my mtns).

sarandosil
07-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Add me in as another for the first. The second one looks like distort-glass while the first one looks like it was based off of some difference clouds that got hit with lighting effects (how I do my mtns).

The magic is gone, eh? I used to look at images and go "WOW that is great looking!" and these days it's more like "hmm, looks like a cloud render with a chrome filter there."

At any rate, you're mostly right :p I did do that but I'm not sure it's actually visible; the texture comes mostly from a texture overlay in the layer styles (and the waves beyond the reef are a texture overlay of one of the patterns you had in one of your tutorials).

Ascension
07-14-2009, 08:56 PM
There's still plenty of magic...I had never thought of using that technique for waves and I've been struggling with waves for years. Thanks, man, for keepin the magic alive...in me at least :) Oh and have some rep to boot ;)

sarandosil
07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
I wonder what that's like :|

I like the first one, too -- more character!

You have Photoshop in your software list so I'm assuming you're talking about having a stretch of time to devote to this. What that's like is like being unemployed, heh.

Ascension
07-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Just single...lots of free time muhahahahaaa :)

Steel General
07-15-2009, 06:02 AM
I'll throw my hat in the ring with the others, the first version is much more appealing. It looks like it could be various underwater reefs, continental shelves, etc.

Karro
07-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah, as with the others. I think the second looks like bumpy glass, which is not quite the right effect for seas.

altasilvapuer
07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
I like the first one more, as well, I think. I'm going to cheat, though, and say both. Maybe you should see what happens if you blend both of those sea types together? The first one seems better to me, but like it might be slightly missing something.

I definitely like the difference clouds-chrome idea, though! I'll have to have fun with that!

-asp

sarandosil
07-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Sheesh, I can't for the life of me make a forest texture that looks halfway decent.

Davros01
07-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Lol,

hate to follow a crowd, but the 1st definitely looks better i think.

silverhead
07-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Just single...lots of free time muhahahahaaa :)

You don't know how true is that until you're not single anymore ;-)

sarandosil
08-02-2009, 12:32 AM
A little of bit of Ascension, a little bit of Pasis, and a little bit of Saran goes a long way in making a small update.

But I still can't make a decent forest texture *grumble*

Gandwarf
08-02-2009, 05:54 AM
Looks like everybody is combining styles at the moment :D
Nice! I wouldn't do red labels though. They tend to bleed into the terrain. Some of the labels are hard to read at the moment.

sarandosil
08-02-2009, 11:04 AM
It seems to be partially a problem with the bevel effect, in that it's more readable without it and the dark bit of the bevel with any color bleeds into the terrain. I'll probably have to mess with the settings overall to get it fixed.

Maybe a different font would help too.

Steel General
08-02-2009, 01:19 PM
To me red text over green, never really works all that well. You could try putting a dark glow or stroke on them to cut down on the 'bleeding'.

sarandosil
08-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Can't really add a stroke to it, even a 1 pixel stroke renders it unreadable. The glow works, but I think I'd rather not use it, as it makes the text visually heavier.

sarandosil
08-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Changed the color to white and messed with the lighting on the bevel.

It's more readable on the darker green, but not so much on the desert (Pelennis).

Edit: Attached wrong picture. Hold on a sec

Edit edit: I must have been doing something wrong. I added the stroke again and now it looks awesome. I switched the color to white and added a stroke, it looks much better. Great suggestion!

AslanC
08-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Looks good so far and those names jump off the map now!

Steel General
08-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Text looks good - white with a black stroke/glow, usually can't go wrong with it.

sarandosil
08-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Hopefully other colors look good as well. I was hoping I'd have the labels for town/cities/nations etc in different colors.

sarandosil
08-08-2009, 07:53 PM
River police: Is this river an outlaw?

http://www.routinedelirium.com/forsaken/river.jpg

AslanC
08-08-2009, 08:00 PM
I am not a member of the River Police, but I don't see why not. Two rivers joining, making one. It flows in the low lands, to the sea.

sarandosil
08-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Mostly I was wondering if it's realistic to have it flow between to mountains ranges like that. Seems alright to me, but I know pitifully little about geology (and I wanted to be a geologist when I was in highschool, oh the irony).

AslanC
08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Ever heard of a river valley? ;)

So long as that was the path that lowered the most as it went, ie the path of least resistance, then you are fine :)

Gandwarf
08-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, this can certainly be a realistic river.
With time (lots of it!) a river can even carve through a mountain. As long as it's running down hill.

Steel General
08-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Looks good to me...though it does look like it's laying on top of the ground rather than carved through it, no big deal just wanted to point it out.

sarandosil
08-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Yeah I'm kind of at a loss as to how to make it look better.

Steel General
08-08-2009, 09:48 PM
I usually use a bevel (which it appears you have done), try fiddling with the settings a bit or maybe put a low-opacity inner-shadow on it. I always seem to struggle with rivers on maps of this 'scale'.

sarandosil
08-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Problem is that the river width is like five pixels in that image, which doesn't accommodate much of the layer styles (I tried an inner glow and outer-glow but couldn't swing either into something nice). I could make the rivers wider for it to take effect, but I'm somewhat worried that a river wide enough would kind of break the scale (not that it matters too much though, I guess).

I think part of the problem is that the forest texture doesn't show the bumpiness of the land beneath it, which I can't figure out how to do either. The only bits on the map that have any feel of height to them then are the mountains, and everything else ends up looking flat.

Here's the full map if anyone cares (slightly outdated by now); http://www.routinedelirium.com/forsaken/veleshupdate3.jpg . I'd just finished rendering two cloud layers, one for random forest placement and another for random mountain placement. It's very rought at the moment because I haven't touched up any of it yet.

sarandosil
08-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Ok I made it two pixels wider and the shadow does look good at this width. Probably need to adjust the color of the river though.

Funny stuff, I was just looking around in Google Maps and I found this : http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=k&ll=27.936181,94.100647&spn=1.902331,2.469177&z=9 now that is a bright blue river, but I probably couldn't get away with using that color.

Ascension
08-09-2009, 12:50 AM
While not in technical violation it does violate logic. If you were to think about the actual height of the land then that valley would close up on the right side forcing the river to the west-northwest. To prevent that the land in that area would have to be higher than the end of the valley but since it is near a coast that isn't very likely. If there were some big hills there or maybe put some more space at the end of the valley on the right. At any rate, looks pretty good otherwise.

sarandosil
09-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Doesn't seem worth starting a new thread over, but this the wip for a different setting (my own this time) that I'm working on. New water effect for it.

Steel General
09-23-2009, 01:48 PM
Looks pretty good, I would probably reduce the bevel on the land mass a bit.

Ascension
09-23-2009, 05:36 PM
The colors are rich and vibrant = I like it. The only quibble I have is that the borders seem kind of wimpy thin.

sarandosil
09-23-2009, 05:46 PM
Steel: It's not supposed to have a bevel on it at all, hah. I think I did end up pasting a layer style on it that it wasn't supposed to have, so that I fixed

Ascension: Not too happy with the borders either, but couldn't figure out a way to make them look nice either. They're one pixel wide, and two pixel wide borders looked too thick. I also tried adding a glow to them like you had in your Atlas Style tutorial, but on my Photoshop an inner glow just modifies the one pixel length, and with an outer glow the colors from two different countries bleed into each other. Not sure what's up with that.

Ascension
09-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Well here's what ya do; first make sure that your borders wrap all the way around the continent edges and that there are no gaps, then follow these steps:

1. Use the magic wand tool on the borders layer.
2. Click on an open area to select that country.
3. Create a new layer.
4. Fill that area with a color.
5. Repeat as often as necessary for each country.
6. Now you can add an inner glow to each country separately.

OR

7. Marge all the countries together onto one layer.
8. Ctrl+click on this layer in the layer stack.
9. Select - modify - contract = 20 or so.
10. Select - feather = 20 or so.
11. Hit the delete key and you get a faded edge border where the middle is clear and the edge has a color.
12. Adjust opacity to suit.

landorl
09-24-2009, 11:06 AM
About the river -

I would look at making it widen up a bit before it joins the sea, and it could also do with a bit more "winding" in the lower stretches of the river. It is a perfectly realistic river though. Even though the NW coast is closer, it doesn't mean that it is easier to reach.