PDA

View Full Version : Blackwind Stronghold (Retro)

Anomaly
07-17-2009, 08:08 AM
I feel kind of ashamed of this map compared to others posted in this forum, with their high color and shading. You guys have been going forward, but I've been looking backwards. If you're old enough to remember maps inside modules that looked like this one, you're Old Enough. :)

This is the Blackwind Stronghold, an ancient, abandoned guild fortress below the city of Anchorest. It was designed as a 0-Level dungeon.

Gandwarf
07-17-2009, 08:10 AM
I remember these maps from ancient D&D modules :)
Very oldskool, brings back memories.

Ascension
07-17-2009, 08:12 AM
Don't be ashamed, most of us older dudes love these old school maps...back in my day we didn't have color, we had nonphoto blue and white. These kids and their rock n roll music and fancy colors...bah humbug :)

NeonKnight
07-17-2009, 10:36 AM
BAH!

When I was kid, NOTHING was in color. Whole damn world was black-n-white, color not being invented til 19-aught-70. Only then we didn;t call it color, we called it: "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!"

Talroth
07-17-2009, 11:09 AM
BAH!

When I was kid, NOTHING was in color. Whole damn world was black-n-white, color not being invented til 19-aught-70. Only then we didn;t call it color, we called it: "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!"

Given your username, that post was exceptionally amusing.

Steel General
07-17-2009, 12:27 PM
While we like all of our fancy colors, textures and the rest. A good bunch of us go all misty-eyed for good old fashioned cyan dungeons. :D

töff
07-17-2009, 01:03 PM
most of us older dudes love these old school mapsIt's true that they are primitive in comparison with some other styles. BUT, remember, it is a style. Comparing the cyan grid maps with the Photoshop satellite maps is like comparing medieval illuminated manuscripts to Maxfield Parish.

Sigurd
07-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Really nice clean map. Good job.
Ranking different styles is silly - they're different. Your car goes faster than my bicycle and much faster than my mothers apple pie. You've done very well in your chosen style - no more or less than any other map here could hope for.

Sigurd

giantacroyear
07-17-2009, 05:30 PM
What Sigurd said. Style is subjective.

I love the old school maps because I am another who is "old enough" :).

All you're missing by the passage from #27 is an arrow with the words "To the Underdark" ! :)

Cheers,
GiantAcroyear

Zenfar
07-21-2009, 09:24 PM
White Plume Mountain here I come. I still remember my players blowing there DEX rolls and hanging over the lava...