View Full Version : First Post - Question of Old Maps

07-19-2009, 04:07 PM
I've been looking on google for the better part of a few hours now. And i'm wondering, and have always wondered -- what the heck are these lines?

They converge in a circle pattern. They look like sight lines or degrees. I'm not sure what they are called. Very interesting. Anyone have any insight as to their use and where I might find out more about them?


Link to wikipedia map that shows the lines I describe. Also seen on a map from the movie Goonies. Not sure if you guys know which map I mean. Any insight would be much appreciated.


07-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Hi Captainjames...they're called rhumb lines....more information here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1320)

Welcome to the guild!

07-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the reply! That was driving me nuts.