PDA

View Full Version : My world - The Everlandias

LonewandererD
07-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Hey guys, i'm going to completely redo my world, which isn't a real bug issue as i have barely started mapping my world in the first place.

Anyway, instead of posting my three continent seperately i'm going to do my world, the Everlandias, all in one thread. At the moment i'm working on a colourscheme for my western continent of Adallia. I've been screwing around in photoshop and experimenting with Ascensions tutorials, great tutorials by the way, and have come up with this Practice Map.

Its a good start but it still needs work. Firstly, I want to know if anyone has a good way of colouring areas to look like marshland, my attempts haven't been working for me, too plain. Secondly, does anyway have a suggestion as how to make the open green area in the bottom right look like sweeping grasslands? At the moment they look a bit dull. Thirdly, should i make the forested areas darker? They need to look dense yet lively and luscious, for want of a better word, as Adallia is a very rainy place.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-D-

Steel General
07-20-2009, 12:35 PM
Looking pretty good so far, the green is a little over-saturated for my taste, but that's just me :)

You might want to check out the Genetica Viewer from Spiral Graphics (http://spiralgraphics.biz/), it comes with aa whole bunch of different textures that you can manipulate to some degree. There are a lot of nice textures included with it.

I use them all of the time. One in particular ('Just Add Bison') may work for you.

Ascension
07-20-2009, 07:18 PM
For marshland I've been messing around with some new techniques...try them and see what you think...I did these on my Jasmine Coast map in the top right corner (this is just grayish because it's supposed to be haunted as opposed to marshy). Grab a big airbrush (I use the airbrush soft round 300 or 100), set the flow low, around 10-20% and paint in some black on a new layer above the land. Set this layer to Hue...this will turn everything that is underneath of the painted area to become a grayscale. If you then reduce the opacity and let some color just barely peek through then you can get some nice effects. Lastly, I'll duplicate this layer, pop the opacity all the way back up, set the fill to zero and the mode to normal and add a layer style of color overlay (something brown or tan) with a low opacity just to give it some color variation and possibly a pattern overlay of clouds or something to give it some light/dark variation.

LonewandererD
07-21-2009, 04:22 AM
Kay, here we go.

I've been messing around with making marshlands, i sort of like mine because it looks wet but seems to be lively, which is what i'm aiming for with the marshes of Adallia. I like it but something seems off, maybe i should make the green brighter, it looks a bit too cool right now.

I darkened the forest because, as Steel General said, the other green was too over-saturated. I'm really liking that forest texture, thanks again Ascension.

And finally i made the areas to the bottom right brighter to represent open grasslands. Its fine but it still feels like it needs something. While fooling around with the grass i found a good colour that i'm going to use for my desert regions on one of my other continents so its not all bad.

I'm still trying to draw up my main map for Adallia, pics to0 come soon.

Any help would be appreciated.

-D-

LonewandererD
07-22-2009, 05:07 AM
A few more updates to the practice map.

I've changed the marsh area to be darker and blended it in better with the treeline, the bluish-green wasn't working for me. Also i change the white around the lettering from a white stroke to a white outer glow so that it still makes the lettering legible while not overpowering it.

-D-

Karro
07-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Hmm. I think I prefer the previous marshes, just because it looks like marshes (i.e everglades-style) to me, with lots of grass and spots of water showing through. The new style is just kind of a grayish blur, and seems pretty indistinct. Anyway, good implementation of Ascension's style, overall.

LonewandererD
07-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah, i agree with you there Karro, the Evergaldes feel was more appealling.

So i changed it back, but i'll be using that brownish green marshes to represent wastes later on. Also i added another layer on top of the mountains peaks. Its hard to see but it's small layer of light grey. It make the peaks look higher and painted across a larger area it gives the illusion of snow in the upper regions of the mountains.

Okay, this is my colour scheme that i'm going to use for my map of Adallia, its almost done so i should start to be adding coloured versions soon. To get more detail i'm going to colour it country by country and then combine it together into one large continent map.

-D-

Karro
07-22-2009, 12:47 PM
Can't wait to see a full-fledged map! Good luck.

LonewandererD
07-24-2009, 01:08 PM
Okay, after drawing, and cursing, and more drawing i was able to draw the map of Adallia.

It was drawn by hand on six a4 pages and assembled together on computer where they were cleaned and gaps were filled. I'm going to break the map down into countries and colour them individually. I will then bring all of the colour maps together into one complete coloured version of Adallia, that file is going to be huuuuuuuuuge.

Then the final coloured will be broken down into countries again so i can make regional maps with details like towns, forts and place names. In each regional map the other countries will be grayed out so that they're still there but all of the focus and detail will be on the region in question. So i have some work cut out for me, but what the heck, thats half the fun right :) .

Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.

-D-

Steel General
07-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Neat land shapes!

Looks like you still have some tiny gaps you may have overlooked.

LonewandererD
07-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Nah, it looks that way because its zoomed out to about 55% of it really is, the lines are there, they're just very small.

I zoomed in really close and drew over all gaps with the pencil tool, occasionally checking it with the magic brush to find and fill all gaps.

-D-

LonewandererD
08-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Hey guys, hows it going

I've made a slight altercation to the map, I've made a split in the landmass in the northeastern area of the map. This was to break up the total land mass and allow for more naval interaction. Also the new straight that was created serves a role in the history of Adallia.

With that done i split Adallia into four realms for colouring. I've coloured the first realm and put in the basic idea of borders and names but i'm going to wait until after the whole thing is complete before i make final decisions about my countries and add any labels.

So, waht do you think so far?

-D-

Gandwarf
08-02-2009, 08:39 AM
That's looking very nice! The layout of the land is very interesting and I love the style you picked.

You do seem to have some river issues though. I see rivers splitting, which they normally don't do. Water tends to take the way of the least resistance. So if you are shooting for a realistic map, the rivers are a problem. It's your map of course, so you can do anything you want :)

Are the small dots in the ocean islands?

LonewandererD
08-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Yeah, i'm going to redo the rivers. I did them in a bit of a hurry and when you're zoomed in really close its hard to remember where the rivers were going and coming from.

All those small little dots aren't actually supposed to be islands, they were just stray/mess pixels that seemed to get picked up by the shelf layer during construction, in the final map they won't be there as some of them are in locations that will be occupied by other landmasses. That and they're a bit unsighlty.

-D-

Gandwarf
08-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Ah, good then... the littles dots are indeed a bit unsightly :)

Ascension
08-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Good stuff. Very interesting landmass shape, I like it.

Steel General
08-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Coming along very nicely...looking forward to seeing more.

LonewandererD
08-03-2009, 05:09 AM
Hey guys, update more frequently now that i have an easy colouring system.

I tweaked the map i posted before to remove most of the river violations and those little annoying dots, i left some to serve as small islands.

I've also coloured another region, the area directly to the south. The colours didn't come out excatly the same, a problem somewhere in the Land phase, but when you put them next to each other its not that noticeable.

I'm not including any borders or place names yet until i've settled on how many kingdoms i want. I want to keep it down to around 11-13 becuase i have to write a back story for each and the fewer there are, the easier it will be.

-D-

Coyotemax
08-03-2009, 05:44 AM
Those are nice, I really like the shape of the one on the right..

LonewandererD
08-03-2009, 05:52 AM
Thnx man

I'm actually going to redo the one on the right as the flaw in the land stage has really messed with the colouring of the rest of the map. I'm working on the third section and found out what the flaw was and now that i've found it the problesm with the second section are now a lot more noticeable.

-D-

LonewandererD
08-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Finished colouring the third, and smallest, region of Adallia. The continental ridge didn't quite come out the way i had hoped on this one but it's good enough as it is.

-D-

Karro
08-03-2009, 11:14 AM
The progress here is looking really good. There's still a few river issues on the first map, as well as some on the second:

Map 1:

1. toward the south, there's a collection of three nearby lakes. All three of the lakes are connected, and between them there are 4 outlets to the sea, all being fed by one set of streams from the mountains, which would be a highly unusual situation. The interconnectedness, per se, isn't the problem, but the number of outlets to the sea that a single stream is feeding. To fix this, you could do several things: (a) split off the different outlets to the sea and have each fed by a different set of (non-connected) feeder streams or (b) eliminate some of the outlets and let only one outlet dominate. Additionally, it would be unlikely that a river would split to feed two different lakes. Take the Great Lakes as an example: while they are all interconnected, each has an exit river that feeds the next lake, forming a chain of lakes rather than a web.

2. Just north of that, there are several more interconnected lakes with 5 outlets to the sea.

3. On the western promontory, there are several feeders heading to one lake with two exit rivers (one of which immediately splits). One of those exits feeds another lake, which also has two exits, so that at the end, you've got a total 5 outlets to the sea here.

4. Toward the east, around the volcano overseeing the marshland, you've got a lot of rivers feeding into what I think is a single outlet to the sea (which is good), but in the headwaters just north of the volcano is a set of small lakes that are meshed together. To fix this one, just chain the lakes together with one line of rivers (they can have other rivers feeding into them, but have only one exit that continues downstream), or break off the links between them and have each feed the downstream river separately.

5. On the northern cape/horn you've got a river that splits partway to the sea into two outlets.

Quick rule of thumb: starting at the sea, I shouldn't be able to trace a line upriver and then back downriver to the sea again at a different location without ever leaving the water. Many streams feed into fewer and fewer major rivers as they go toward the sea.

Map 2:

1. Northwestern island: one lake with two exit rivers going to the sea.

2. Northwest corner of the mainland: A medium round lake has many feeder rivers and one exit to the sea, but one of it's feeders appears to be from a river that splits and feeds another lake that also has an outlet to the sea. That feeder would tend to feed one of the lakes or the other, but not both.

3. Southern Coast of the midwest, a small lake has two exits to the sea.

4. The southeast on the western cape, two exits to the sea from a single lake.

5. The southeast on the eastern cape, two exits to the sea from a single lake.

Anyway... that's all that I can find. Haven't looked at the third (posted just now) map, so no comments on that, yet.

Points of praise: Overall, this looks great! Good luck with the rivers.

Steel General
08-03-2009, 11:49 AM
The latest posting looks good (except for the continental shelf ;))

For me the shelf is to smooth, except for around the small island in the south where it looks like the shelf bubbled up around the land. I've been having my own issues with continental shelves so I don't have a good fix for you to try.

Maybe try applying a pattern to the bevel and see if that breaks things up a bit.

LonewandererD
08-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Thnx words of advice Karro, its this kind of feedback i'm after. I understand what my problems are now, rivers were never my strong point :oops:, and I'll try and fix them tommorow.

I'm not going to fix map 2 as that is getting completely redone but i am going to take what you have said into account.

Quick question: do marshes/lakes have to be near a river to form. That's been one of my problems as i've been trying to get rivers to flow towards lakes and marshy areas to provide water but if they aren't needed that would be great. I know that underground rivers do exist and that these can from lakes, i have a document talking about that around here somewhere.

Thnx for the help :)

-D-

LonewandererD
08-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah, i'm going to break up the continental shelf, i think it cam out this way because my shoreline is a bit too smooth or something like that. The area of "bubbly" shelf is supposed to be an underwater split, the idea is that is where two tectonic plates are pulling apart. The centre island was formed when a hotspot under the break pushed the land up and formed an island volcano, sort of like with Iceland or Hawaii.

Maybe i should just remove the continental shelves altogether, it looks good but its getting a little annoying.

-D-

Karro
08-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Thnx words of advice Karro, its this kind of feedback i'm after. I understand what my problems are now, rivers were never my strong point :oops:, and I'll try and fix them tommorow.

I'm not going to fix map 2 as that is getting completely redone but i am going to take what you have said into account.

Quick question: do marshes/lakes have to be near a river to form. That's been one of my problems as i've been trying to get rivers to flow towards lakes and marshy areas to provide water but if they aren't needed that would be great. I know that underground rivers do exist and that these can from lakes, i have a document talking about that around here somewhere.

Thnx for the help :)

-D-

Lakes are typically fed by rivers (rivers come down from mountains and enter into lakes, sometimes more than one into a single lake, sometimes only one) and typically have a single river exiting them and heading toward the sea.

Marshes can be the result of several things. Basically, a marsh is a type of wetland subject to frequent flooding. This could be at the confluence of several rivers, or even a single river going over a particularly flatlandish area, or it could be a coastal marsh subject to tidal flooding. A river-fed marsh will probably become particularly sodden after a heavy rainfall dumps an excess amount of water into the river and surrounding area. Basically the marsh forms because of poor drainage (for instance a river runs through a wide flat area with a fairly narrow exit for the water, causing the water to pool up). Think of this kind of freshwater marsh as a large, very shallow lake.

Swamps are basically the same, except that the dominant foliage is now, rather than reeds and other herbaceous marsh plants, large swamp-loving trees (for instance, cypress) although this distinction seems to be primarily a North American distinction (the terms swamp and marsh being roughly interchangeable outside the U.S., I believe).

Coastal, saltwater and brackish marshes do typically occur at the exit-points of rivers and estuaries, particularly over an area with a lot of sedimentary build-up at the river's mouth. These marshes become flooded daily due to tidal movements.

Short answer: yes, typically there are rivers involved (though I don't know that this is always the case).

Gandwarf
08-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Excellent post Karro, thanks!

LonewandererD
08-04-2009, 05:52 AM
Almost of all of Adallia is coloured, yay for progress.

I've redone the lower area that had the colour problem and i redid the shelf on the third map. I've also removed all river violations i could find, thnx for that Karro. Also, on each map, i went back and put an inner bevel on the lakes so that they cut down into the terrain instead of sitting on top of it.

One more map to go, then comes the hard part, labelling.

-D-

Steel General
08-04-2009, 07:31 AM
I like the continental shelf much better now, I'm still struggling with mine. :)

Karro
08-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Hey, no problem, these are looking great now. Awesome.

LonewandererD
08-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Yay, final area complete. I'll post the complete map tommorow.

I also went back to the second map and tried to break up the large grassland in the centre, wasn't entirely successful but it'll do.

-D-

LonewandererD
08-05-2009, 06:32 AM
A few hours of tinkering and cleaning and all of my maps are combined together. I've put in the borders and nations, yes I know five of the nations have the same nation colour, that has something to do with the back story.

I've put in some of the main labels, mostly just ocean/sea and nation names. I'll start to label the countries individually later on.

Sorry if its hard to read but i had to shrink the image to upload, the limit is still 3600x3600 right?

A few questions first.

1) Would you say this place is bigger or smaller than Europe (minus Russia). I have the scale around 1 mile a pixel, would that be big enough to make it the same size as Europe? Would be closer if it were 5 or 10 miles a pixel.

2) Adallia sits on the equator, and a fault line, and is subject to torrential seasonal rains, cyclones (or would it be typhoons?) and the occasional earthquakes. Would the rains/storms happen in the summer or the winter season.

3) As it sits on the equator how much difference would there be between winter and summer. It would still be warm and humid I know that much?

-D-

Steel General
08-05-2009, 07:28 AM
This came out quite nicely, great job so far!

It's not so much dimensions as megapixel total (limit is ~33 Mgpxl) and a file size of ~4.7MB [.jpg] and ~7MB [.png] (those may be off a bit), as long as you're under those you should be good to go.

I'd say it's bigger than Europe (given your scale), maybe closer to Australia *shrugs*.

I would think that there would be more arid/dry areas, but I didn't go back through the whole thread so if not, just ignore that.

LonewandererD
08-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Go Aussie!

Yeah i though that some of the areas should be more arid but I had a theme for my continents, Adallia is supposed to be epic forests, Loratolia is supposed to be sweeping grasslands and vast deserts and Khazardia is fertile marshes and cold wastes.

Maybe i should make it a bit smaller than Europe, or about the same size. Would 1 pixel= 1/2 mile work? And should it be miles or kilometres? I'm an Aussie so i'm used to kilometres but alot of maps seem to use miles.

-D-

Steel General
08-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Europe, from the coast of portugal to the russian border, is around 1800-2000 miles (if my calculations are close), so 1 pixel = 1/2 mile would work.

When you add the scale you could include both miles & kms (it's really your preference).

Karro
08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Go Aussie!

Yeah i though that some of the areas should be more arid but I had a theme for my continents, Adallia is supposed to be epic forests, Loratolia is supposed to be sweeping grasslands and vast deserts and Khazardia is fertile marshes and cold wastes.

Maybe i should make it a bit smaller than Europe, or about the same size. Would 1 pixel= 1/2 mile work? And should it be miles or kilometres? I'm an Aussie so i'm used to kilometres but alot of maps seem to use miles.

-D-

I think you only most see miles because so many of us are USians, where, for whatever reason, we still use miles. I'd imagine on the maps of the European members you're more likely to se KM, since that just makes more sense to them.

Also... looks really good, all put together. That must have been a challenge to meld them all together like that.

altasilvapuer
08-05-2009, 01:45 PM
It seems to me, too, that fantasy worlds tend to be measured more in miles, leagues, etc. Archaic is the name of the game, in a sense.

Science fiction worlds tend to be measured in metrics, I've noticed. That's why my current project is in km, even though I'm from the US, and have to crunch numbers to convert to km every time.

As for the climate of the nation in question, I'll have to go back through this post, as I'm coming to this thread late in the game and haven't read all of it, yet, and now have to get to work! :O

I'll probably check back here this evening and take a look over it and see if I can figure it out, if no one's beaten me to it.

-asp

LonewandererD
08-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Updating

I've altered the terrain in the south to look drier as that area is closer to the tropics line. I tried to do the same for the area around Trant as it is right on the equator but it didn't look right, also the forest to the south of the Trant Straight is there to cover a join between two maps.

Also I was looking for something unique to be used as compass for each of my knigdoms/nations, there own unique symbol or something like that. So i was flipping through the tutorials section when I came across Yandor's Insignia Tutorial and I though that was perfect for my needs. I whipped up insignia's for seven of my countries, they're not as good as Yandor's ones but they'll do just fine for my needs.

The four that have been posted below are the insignias for The Free States, Haart, Ihlea and Lobradia respectively.

Great Tut Yandor :)

-D-

LonewandererD
08-08-2009, 04:57 AM
Here are the other three insignia's I've done.

Maeora, New Demora and Rythia respectively.

-D-

AslanC
08-08-2009, 06:31 AM
Looking very very nice sir :)

I envy your skills :D

LonewandererD
08-08-2009, 06:33 AM
The last two insignias, Belloria and The Zephyrn Empire respectively. The second insignia will be used for all of the nations in Adallia with yellow borders.

-D-

LonewandererD
08-08-2009, 08:36 AM
If it seems that I'm delaying the innevitable and arduous task of labelling, well, you're right.

I've been fooling arounf in photoshop to find a good looking compass that can be used with the disc insignias I made before. Here's my test compass, plus my test border and the test test font I'm planning to use for the main title of the individual maps. The text is a bit bright but it has a drop shadow, not visible on the black background, and for the most part will be situated on top of the insignia/compass.

So, what do you all think?

-D-

Gandwarf
08-08-2009, 08:42 AM
The compass fits in greatly with the insignias. That's what I think :)

Steel General
08-08-2009, 09:25 AM
The compass fits in greatly with the insignias. That's what I think :)

Agreed, and I'll have to check out that tutorial you used for the insignia's. Don't remember seeing that before.

LonewandererD
08-08-2009, 10:56 AM
First Kingdom done, the south-eastern territory of New Demora. I'm on a roll.

It doesn't feel finished yet, what else should i add to it. I don't need a legend because the map is pretty map self explanatory and a legend would take up too much room.

My naming system for New Demora was a little sketchy, i din't really have a plan for naming towns, cities were named after past Emperors, with the capital being named after the first Emperor of the Old Demoran Empire, Emperor Dalsheid the First.

Do the greyed out areas work, i wanted to try and draw attention away from the other countries and focus on New Demora.

-D-

LonewandererD
08-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I know i shouldn't be posting this much but here is a copy of the map without the grey areas. Which one is better?

-D-

Flaterectomy
08-08-2009, 11:58 AM
I have done some amateur texturing for 3D shooters and what I very quickly learned was that a good grey texture requires a fair amount of colour.

Here's an example. (http://forums.mapcore.net/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=1329&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=2655#p230582)

That stone texture is full of different colours (the use-many-different-colours principle works with any single-tone texture, really), and I think it would work very well for your greyed-out areas. They'd stand out because they're not as green as the kingdom that you're focusing on, but they'd not look as desaturated.

Hope this makes sense and is of use to you. :D

LonewandererD
08-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Thnx for the tip flaterectomy but i think i'm going to stick with the grey, its easy to do which is good because I'm not the smartest when it comes to photoshop.

Now I've done two more maps, I've made some changes in these maps which will be done to the map of New Demora. Below are the maps of The Free States and Sorres. I've added in the main trade/travel routes and I've change the font effects, the white glow wasn't really working for me, the tan glow still makes them stand out without overwhelming the terrain. I also added a stroke and a bevel just to give it a little extra pop.

On the Free States map i was able to set down my naming conventions. Instead of trying to make it different for each country, the naming of places is dependent on which of the five common races settled the area. They are as followed.

Humans: Cities are usually named after a historical figure/event or place. Towns are normally something that describes the area but respelt to feel more fantasy. E.g. The Sorres Town of Port Nortewynd was derived from Northwind. I'm avoiding using cliche names or names that sound too "European", I do want to fall into the trap of basing my humans off fantasy europeans.

Ithekins: Names are normally base around G's, T's or F's with heavy use of vowels. This is not depicted in the Free States map too much.

Doumrs: With the exception of forts all towns and cities are consisted of two parts. Town names always start with "Dann" while cities sound like people names instead of a place name. Forts are normally named after a water-based thing, again respelt.

Shian'Shi: Heavily based on S's, X's and Z's, basically because the Shian'Shi speak with a lispe, it has to do with the shape of their mouth.

Myr's: Town and Fort names always start with "Laer" and Cities start with "Mon". These mean "Big Burrow" and "Big, Big Burrow" respectively. Myr names will always tend to avoid harsh sounds like G or K.

Sorry for boring you with that. What do you think of the maps.

-D-

Gandwarf
08-09-2009, 06:46 AM
Nice work so far. The last two maps are looking pretty! Good job on the insignias, they look great on the maps and give it a little extra.

LonewandererD
08-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Thnx Gandwarf

Suddenly me and photoshop are getting along very well, here are four more maps: Trant, Ilhea, New Demora (redone) and The Darsen Isles. Six down, seven to go; I should have all of Adallia completed in no time.

Just to clarrify, the maximum dimension size is 30 megapixels correct, is that 3000x3000?

-D-

Karro
08-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Looking very spectacular!

LonewandererD
08-10-2009, 01:07 PM
Thnx :). Just for the record, i've added a new bevel to the place symbols to give some extra pop and I've added a red triangle to city symbol , the white ring, the make it look more impressive than the fort and town symbols.

But alas, me and indecision are constant companions. Moments after setting down the naming conventions i found myself questioning them. For the most part the culture of Adallia is the same from country to country; the culture is known as High Style Everlandian and has been spread across about a quarter of the Everlandias by the Zephyrn Empire.

I like the idea i had with the Doumr and Myr naming conventions and is inclined to have a singular word in front of a title to represent something about the place, like "Laer" and "Dann" meaning town or its equivelant. This also helps to break from the European feel which i really want; its not that i hate europe, hell i have a strong european background, its just that a lot of fantasy places have done a European-esque medieval world and i want to break from that.

So I'm asking, does anyone have any suggestion on how i can create a coherent and effective, and maybe exotic/flavourable, naming convention that i can apply elsewhere in the Everlandias, or does anyone know of a place i can go that could help me. If it helps i can elaborate on some of the other customs/conventions of High Style Everlandian culture.

-D-

Karro
08-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Thnx :). Just for the record, i've added a new bevel to the place symbols to give some extra pop and I've added a red triangle to city symbol , the white ring, the make it look more impressive than the fort and town symbols.

But alas, me and indecision are constant companions. Moments after setting down the naming conventions i found myself questioning them. For the most part the culture of Adallia is the same from country to country; the culture is known as High Style Everlandian and has been spread across about a quarter of the Everlandias by the Zephyrn Empire.

I like the idea i had with the Doumr and Myr naming conventions and is inclined to have a singular word in front of a title to represent something about the place, like "Laer" and "Dann" meaning town or its equivelant. This also helps to break from the European feel which i really want; its not that i hate europe, hell i have a strong european background, its just that a lot of fantasy places have done a European-esque medieval world and i want to break from that.

So I'm asking, does anyone have any suggestion on how i can create a coherent and effective, and maybe exotic/flavourable, naming convention that i can apply elsewhere in the Everlandias, or does anyone know of a place i can go that could help me. If it helps i can elaborate on some of the other customs/conventions of High Style Everlandian culture.

-D-

Check some of the Toponomy threads. There's not many, but a few good ideas bandied about there. A couple options: (1) "steal" names from real-world cultures that mirror the flavors you are trying to evoke. (2) try and figure out the linguistic/phonological structure of the languages of your source cultures and use one of the "word generators" posted in those threads to make up a series of words that follows a similar, consistent phonological structure.

LonewandererD
08-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I've found my naming system. After rummaging through all of my old forgotten downloads i realised i had downloaded a copy of the Everchanging Book of Names. So now i'm just generating whole lists and composing a mega list of names that i like.

But alas, i solve one problem only to find another one. I thought it would be easier to name the countries if i fiddled around with them a bit, but while fiddling i began to notice many flaws and problems that i didn't like. I waould lkist them but i don't want to bore you.

So, even if i fix all of these problems there will still be more problems that I can't fix. So, instead, I'm just going to start over. The main problem was that I didn't have a clear plan when I was working my way through, a lot of it was experimenting and some important things that i did have in my main plan were left out. Well, they say third times a charm, so Adallia Mk 3 should work out.

First question for my new map. Granite and Limestone are key building materials in the construction of Zerrani buildins which are scattered all over Adallia. Under what circustances do these two rocks form. Also, are they're any other rock types that would make for surperior building materials and under what circumstances do they form?

Second question. How does obsidian form? I heard that it was formed around volcanoes. On the same note is it true that volcanic soil is more fertile than normal soil?

-D-

LonewandererD
08-22-2009, 07:23 AM
I no this thread is no longer of any real interest but here is my brief plan of what the revised shape of Adallia will be. In the process of drawing the good copy now.

-D-

Ascension
08-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Don't sell yourself short. I, for one, read every single post but don't always comment. Sometimes, it's just better to let the artist make his own journey rather than for someone else to step in and force him down a different path. Keep walking and we'll keep watching. I like the shapes here.

Steel General
08-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Always good to have a basic idea of what you want, all to often I just kind of 'wing-it' in my maps.

LonewandererD
08-22-2009, 10:50 AM
winging it was the main problem with my last map, everything was all over the place, especially the mountains

-D-

LonewandererD
08-24-2009, 08:59 AM
Brief update.

I've done the base map for Adallia Mk 3 and I'm now breaking it down into smaller sections for colouring.

I think I've accomplanished the changes that i wanted in this new map. It feels more balanced now, if that makes sence, and looking at it I have a clear idea of where the country borders are going to go whereas before it was just make-up-as-i-go.

What do you think?

-D-

Gandwarf
08-24-2009, 09:13 AM
It does indeed feel/look a lot more balanced. Very nice landmass shapes!

Ascension
08-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Very stylish, looks cool.

Steel General
08-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Neat shaped landmass, looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Probably because I've been working on my challenge map (when I should be working :D), I kinda see a kabuki face in this.

AslanC
08-24-2009, 03:39 PM
I like it... looks very action packed... the shore line I mean. A world where stuff happens. :)

Ascension
08-24-2009, 05:39 PM
That's a great description AC. We would all be better served to think like that.

LonewandererD
08-26-2009, 04:05 AM
Map has been coloured, and in record time, for me anyway.

I haven't drawn in rivers and lakes yet, i wanted to do all of the main terrain before working on the smaller details. Next I'm going to tackle map details like borders, lat/long lines, rivers, etc. Should i include volcanoes, they're a big part of Adallia but my volcano making skills aren't the best.

Made some modifications to how I colour my maps. The forests are less dense and there is a lot more in the way of marshes and wastes. Not sure if that entirely works but having huge blocks of just forest didn't really work either, should I change it back? Now that i think of it all that exposed grassland doesn't quite work, I might lessen the amount of grasslands. Also I've made the mountains sharper, they were too blurred last time around. Its hard to spot when zoomed out but you should see it when you zoom in. Also the forests are painted with a lighter green, not very noticeable but it does help to give a tropical look.

While I'm on the subject, can anyone suggest a way that I can make this map look more tropical, especially in regards to the oceans. Its warm right now, but not quite warm enough for my tastes and the oceans look a little lifeless.

Also you may have noted that I don't give a lot of feedback for other people's work. I really want to but I never know what to say, for the most part other people's work are above my level and I don't what suggestions or help i can give.

-D-

Steel General
08-26-2009, 07:13 AM
This is looking quite good, I like the additions of the swamps, etc.

As for making it look more tropical... you might consider darkening up the trees/forests. For me I always view a tropical jungle/forest as being very lush with deep, dark, rich greens.

Don't feel obligated to give feedback (though it is nice), there are many times I don't comment simply because I can't come up with anything constructive to say. Though even a simple "Hey! I like this" is encouraging to see.

Ascension
08-26-2009, 09:15 AM
The more you learn the more you will be able to discern with a keen eye and help others. As for volcanoes, since you're using my atlas tut, I did a volcano tut long ago. You can also look at Pasis' volcanoes.

LonewandererD
08-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Updating...

First a quick question. Is there anyway that i can post my fullsized map? Its actually 7000x7000 pixels and this pic is less than half that size. Its just that on a smaller size like this the details and true feeling of size seems lessened, and a little blurred. On the fullsize map you can go into 200% zoom and it still looks like its zoomed pretty far out. Also I plan to combine all of my smaller country maps into one huge master map, insane I know >:) .

Anyway, onto the map.

I have made the forests/jungle (which is the correct usage?) denser but still have plenty of grassland/marsh/wastes to break up the sea of green so it doesn't become too overwhelming and to add some variety. I've decreased the size of the outerglow for the main landmass, no beaches in the world would look that big from so far out, as far as I know anyway.

Also I've completed the rivers and lakes for Adallia so I call upon the river police to give it a once over to see if I missed any violations. And finally I've put in the base lines for nation borders and the nation names. These aren't permanent and will change, the red is terrible but will serve until later. While I'm on the subject, when the map is 100% labelled I'm going to have a lot less room to put the country names in amongst the local place names, don't anyoen have a suggestions to work around this?

Okay, back to work. Things remaining on my checklist before I get down to labelling individual countries include...
- Volcanos
- Redone borders with nation colours
- A redone ocean, the current one doesn't look right to me
- Lat/Long Lines
- Creating a border
- Placing Compass, Scale and Title

Acension, I used your volcano tut last time round but I've found that it doens't work as well when you with creating large groups of volcanos, something goes wrong with the gradient phase. Also does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do to make the ocean look more like an ocean. I can't really think of a way so I was just going to make it a solid mass of blue, dull but it'll serve its purpose. Also does anyway have a method for making cool looking borders that don't distract from the map, my attempts so far have been somewhat basic. Do I ask too many questions?

More work to come soon.

-D-

Steel General
08-27-2009, 10:09 AM
The forum software has a pixel limitation as well as file size limits. If your image is more than ~33 megapixels total, it will not upload. You'll need to lower the size and/or the resolution.

Ascension has some great techniques for doing borders in one of his tutorials (can't remember which).

I'm having a hard time actually seeing the rivers, but from what I could see I didn't find any violations. As for your oceans, I think they are fine.

Tear
08-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Some food for thought considering the ocean:

You used your light blue cloud pattern in areas where one would expect deeper waters and the coastal areas often use the darkest shade of blue.
You could try to use the lighter shades of blue to indicate shallow waters, while using dark blue for deep areas, instead.

Might be worth a shot.

LonewandererD
08-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah, i thought uploading my full pic was too much to ask for, oh well.

Sorry if you couldn't see the rivers clearly Steel but I had to lower their opacity a bit because they were too bright and stood out too much. I can load up and image with brighter rivers if that helps.

Searching through Ascensions tuts now for borders. I swear, i would have given up mapping altogether if i hadn't come to this place, thanks Cartographers Guild :lol: . Sappy thing to say I know.

-D-

Steel General
08-27-2009, 11:26 AM
Don't worry about re-uploading another version, others may see them fine.

LonewandererD
08-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Update

Okay, now I'v reached the point where I need to get down to the fine details, labelling. For the main map I've added the Lat/Long lines, a compass and a scale. I'm going to redo the titles and country names, the mainly just being used as notes of sorts right now. I've also redone the borders between countries and I've cleaned up the ocean. Also I've added volcanos, I've tried to stick to the general rules of volcanos i.e, they form in chains, etc. They didn't turn out quite as I hoped but they'll do. I've also made the rivers brighter and darkened some of the bright patches of mountain.

I'm going to lessen the glow of the borders so they don't overwhelm my labelling. Also I'm going to brighten up the oceans, they are a bit dull right now and that is somewhat holding back the tropical feel. I mean when you hear the word "Tropical" one of the things that jump to mind is sparkling, sapphire waters, not a mat of blue. While I'm sort of on the subject, does anyone know how I can makes some cool looking coral reefs, I saw something on someones tut (ascensions) that looks good but I'm not sure if it will fit in with the style of my map. Will still experiment with it though.

As always, any feedback/constructive critism is welcomed.

-D-

Coyotemax
08-28-2009, 07:58 AM
One of the things I did for underwater features was to get a good moonscape or other nifty texture (don't be afreaid to build something up), greyscale it, and put it on a layer over the ocean with Overlay, then adjust the transparency a bit.

check here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6390)for my experiments, i go into a bit more detail with how I got the effect.

Might be a little much for what you're after, but with some effort, mgiht help you get to where you are going.

LonewandererD
08-28-2009, 11:58 AM
I think I've hit the tropical look I was after. With a lot of fiddling around I was able to make my water look brighter, warmer and cleaner, also, my landmass has seemed to become brighter by comparision.

Still not sure as to how I can make up some coral reefs but i was thinking of just using my shelf layer and a small brush/pencil to draw some in and then try and add some purples, pinks and greens for colour.

What do you think?

-D-

Steel General
08-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Worth a shot, you can always delete the layer if it doesn't turn out right.

LonewandererD
08-31-2009, 11:54 PM
Getting close to the finish now, finally...

Okay, I've made several small changes...

- I altered the legend to read Major and Minor Settlement as their is no word in Adallis (the native tongue) for city or town. I also included trade routes.
- I put in more minor settlement symbols and made them a lot smaller, now my countries look populated. I did the same for ruins.
- I redid the traderoutes so that they link all the major settlements and forts together and only inlcude minor settlements if they happen to be in between or on the way, it looks more organised that way. I also changed the setting on the traderoutes so that they blend into the backgorund whilst still being noticeable.
- Fiddled around with the title.
- Added country names, you may have to look for them, they're not immediately apparent.
- I fiddled round with the borders and resized the names.

Okay, I don't have an awful lot left to do for this map. I only need to name the remaining forts. As with the major settlements I'll be repeating names over again depending on what type of fort it'll be, for example river forts will be Joa'Ahm (bridge) and while major forts will be Droh (Fortress).

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to add airship tradelanes, airships do exist in our world, they're just new. However, airship traderoutes would have to take into account local magick currents which is a while other thing to think about. Finally I have to break the main map down into smaller regional maps and add in some local feature names, or should I just add them to the main map and then break it down?

Is there anything else I can do to make this map look better before I declare it finished?

-D-

AslanC
08-31-2009, 11:59 PM
What's that font you used for the title of the map? It's very sexy :)

LonewandererD
09-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Sexy? Really?

I was going for different but okay. The Title font is "Vivaldi". Is it just me or does the title look like "Aladdin", I love that movie :)

-D-

AslanC
09-01-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the font name, I really like how it looks the way you did it :)

And I really like your map... and nothing says "good job" like rep. You are repped :)

Ascension
09-01-2009, 12:18 AM
I couldn't do it any better...it looks like I did make it :) That, in itself, earns props from me. And since I like what I do, I like what you did. More rep headin yer way.

Gandwarf
09-01-2009, 04:04 AM
Some labels are a bit hard to read. I am referring to the larger yellow and orange labels on land. Labels like "Norsomm" or "Horsomm". It's almost if they blend into the land, part of the problem is the color I think.

LonewandererD
09-01-2009, 09:03 AM
Sorry Gandwarf. It's Norsomm, its just that the font makes it look like a H. I purposefully made the names blend in so that they don't overpower the landscape.

-D-

Steel General
09-01-2009, 10:24 AM
Came out quite nicely...

As for the 'Airship Lanes', add them in then post 2 versions of the map - 1 with them, 1 without them.

LonewandererD
09-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Well that took longer than I thought.

I've finally labelled all of the forts, again I recycled words, in this case most of the words were Lon (Gate), Droh (Fortress), Keis (Hall) and Domma (Tower). Yes, the names are wierd and some are quite long but that because all of them are written in Adallis and Adallis names are long. Basically, most of the names are along the lines of "Tower of the Red Sun" or "Fortress of the Broken Blade", and so it was hard to keep the title short. Truthfully I like the Adallis words because they add a certain regional flavour that makes it unique but, if anyone would like me to, I can make a second copy of the map but with all the settlement/fort names translated to english. It will take some time though because some of the words don't have a definite English counterpart, for example "Laer" has no real counterpart. If I do so I would have to translate this map to be completely 100% written in Adallis, right now it sort of pseudo-Adallis.

I also went back and added in more tradelanes I had forgotten and added in labels for some regions of the map e.g. the Jinte Lowlands. I'm leaving out airship lanes for now but I am going to go back and revisit them. Is there anything else that people feel I need to address/change. If not, I'm going to give this map its final tweaking, call it done and start breaking it done into smaller regional maps, once I've redone some of the country insignias, and then start planning my next continent, the northern lands of Khazardia.

-D-

Karro
09-08-2009, 01:10 PM
One criticism:

You have what I suppose to be country names in various colors and somewhat translucent. However, they're pretty difficult to read, being both fairly faintly colored and not opaque. I'd do something to increase their readability, like add an outer glow on them, perhaps a black outer glow, or something else like that.

Gandwarf
09-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Very, very nice. Really one of the better maps I have seen posted to the guild for some time.

Two nitpicks:
- Like Karro I find the country names to be very difficult to read (sometimes impossible).
- I am not too fond of the fact some places haven't been named. I would have removed them myself I think... I can understand why you decided to keep them though.

Ascension
09-08-2009, 06:39 PM
Using fonts for flavor I am all for but turning down the opacity on them is only good for fat/bold/easily readable fonts. Low opacity + script/thin fonts = hard to read. However it sorta works for that one country name that is white so maybe do them all that way or increase the brightness of the others. You can increase the brightness of a color by changing the numbers on the color picker...the closer you get to 255 (in RGB mode) the brighter it will get. So for like a bright pink I would go 255 red 224 green and 240 blue. For a bright yellow I go 255, 255, 192. And so on and so on.

LonewandererD
09-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Okay, I went back and fixed the country title fonts, I can't believe I missed them, they were on the top of my to do lists :oops: . I added an outer glow and a bevel to make them stand out, however, these names will be removed from the individual regional maps.

@Gandwarf, Im thinking of removing the unnamed lesser settlements, not sure if i will though. I like having them there because they make the countries seem more populated but without names they do look a little... off. Its just that coming up with 300+ in Adallis is just something I wouldn't be able to able handle now. So below I've attached a copy of the map with the new country labels and all unnamed lesser settlements removed, I admit it does look a little cleaner.

I will have to update the legend now that I have a large gap, any ideas as to what I can put in there? How am I doing now, any problems?

Also, if anyone is interested I've added my formal Adallis name under the title. Try saying that really fast >:)

-D-

Diamond
09-09-2009, 04:50 AM
Holy Schmolies! I don't look in this thread for a few days, and all of a sudden you've got this awesome thing of beauty posted. Damn, that's a sweet map...

*wipes envious drool away* :D

Gandwarf
09-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Removing the settlements has indeed made the map look cleaner... I think it looks betters!

I still have some problems with some labels. Some examples:
- The Rhizan Expanse
- The Bhuj Midlands
- The Beljedan Highlands

These are not very readable I think, because they are transparant.
Otherwise a very nice map!

As for the legend, you could at least explain the different icons for the cities and what is a land trade route and a sea trade route.

LonewandererD
09-09-2009, 08:04 AM
@Gandwarf. Yeah, I will make the sea and land trade routes seperate on the legend but what do you mean by explaining the differences of city icons. Do you mean make a different icon for Sol, Laer and Keis? Or do you mean explain the differences between fort and cities symbols? Sorry, I'm a little confused.

I will look into those hard to read labels.

-D-

Gandwarf
09-09-2009, 08:22 AM
I just noticed you already have a legend, with the different settlement icons explained. I totally overlooked it. Ignore my comment about the city icons then.

Steel General
09-09-2009, 09:12 AM
This has developed into a great piece of work.

My one little nit-pick is the larger red labels, very tough to read (especially over the forests). Other than that it's very nice.

LonewandererD
09-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Red labels? Oh, do you mean the land trade routes or the country symbol for Haart?

-D_

Steel General
09-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Red labels? Oh, do you mean the land trade routes or the country symbol for Haart?

No I mean the country labels (sorry should've been more specific) like New Demora(?) in the south.

Red over green can be troublesome (think color-blindness tests).

LonewandererD
09-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Okay, this is the last chance to suggest any changes to the map before I call it done. As much as I love this map I want to move on before it drives me insane. I've already started to break it down into smaller maps.

-D-

Gandwarf
09-09-2009, 12:54 PM
No more suggestions...
It turned out beautiful. So how many hours? :P

Karro
09-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Looks great, and only wanting for a higher resolution to read some of the smaller labels. Also, for whatever reason (and I'm not color-blind by any means) but the New Demora label is still the hardest to read of the country labels. It might be the color, although I usually find red-on-green pleasantly fine to read, but in this case I think Steel may still be right. Otherwise, Great job.

Ascension
09-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Here's what I think...the colored text for the country names is still hard to read (but much much better...probably due to the font rather than the color) but I did snag a copy for myself...so that says a lot. Nice job.

LonewandererD
09-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Its over, this map is done. How many hours it took, I can't say so I will settle with ALOT. And now, only two more, larger continents to go :((

Look for it in the finished map section. Now, i move onto the next nightmare, Khazardia, Everlandias Nortre.

-D-

ravells
09-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Looks beautiful. I love the shape of the island chains.

LonewandererD
09-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Thanks :) . The smaller regional maps are straight forward and easy to do but should I post them here or just put them straight into the finished maps section?

-D-

ravells
09-10-2009, 09:01 AM
It's entirely up to you. If they are in the finished map section then they will be considered for featured map.

landorl
09-10-2009, 11:28 AM
I love it and I sure hope this one ends up in the Cartographer's Choice area!

Andartar
09-10-2009, 05:34 PM
That's a very nice map! It turned out beautifully.

Diamond
09-11-2009, 03:00 AM
Yep, I agree. Very, very nice.

LonewandererD
09-11-2009, 10:59 AM
I decided that I'm not going to do smaller regional maps. This style is good for large multi-country maps but when you break it out into regions it looks a little... off. I will go back and redo it someday but not until after I've gotten the hang of pasis's style. But until then I'm moving on.

I've started to draw up the plans for Khazardia but first I wanted to experiment with the new climate types that would be present. Adallia for the most part was tropical because it sat in the wet zone on the equator. Khazardia however has four climate types (i simplified earth's climate type into four distinct ones). These types are...

Tropical - For the areas close the equator.
Arid/Dry - For the inland areas on the tropic lines. This includes deserts.
Tundra/Wastes - The extreme north, doesn't always have to have snow for the waste only areas.
Temperant (Is that the right word?) - Everywhere else.

Loratolia is going to be the same, just exchange north for south. Temperant regions are going to the same as the Tropical style, just that the forests will be darker, grasses will be greener and marshes will be darker and less abundant. I'm still fiddling with Tundra/Wastes but I have done the Arid/Dry style below. I've included the main features I will use i.e. mountains, grasses/savanahs, marshes, forests and desert/arid wastes.

What do you think? Should I distinguish between arid wastes and deserts?

-D-

Steel General
09-11-2009, 11:01 AM
These types are...

Tropical - For the areas close the equator.
Arid/Dry - For the inland areas on the tropic lines. This includes deserts.
Tundra/Wastes - The extreme north, doesn't always have to have snow for the waste only areas.
Temperant (Is that the right word?) - Everywhere else.-

The word you're looking for is Temperate :)

I would distinguish between deserts and wastes (even if just with a different color)

Gandwarf
09-11-2009, 11:04 AM
That last example looks great already! Love the transistion of the desert to a more temperate climate. I would suggest planting some vegetation along the rivers in the desert in the final map. Water means life:

http://exploringafrica.matrix.msu.edu/images/4811as01nilemeetsdesert.jpg

LonewandererD
09-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Will do Gandwarf, but not on this map, this is only a colour/style test.

Yeah it would be a problem if a climate was temperant, mother nature is very annoyed in those areas :)

I have some questions if anyone can answer them. I need some measurements to help to set up Khazardia. I tried looking at an atlas but it didn't help. So, using the measurements for our world, my questions are...

1 - How far is it from the equator to the poles?
2 - How far is it from the equator to the tropic lines?
3 - How far is it from the poles to the artic circles?

If possible I would like the know these measurements in miles.

If anyone could answer these three I would be most grateful. The idea for Khazardia is that the southern most point sits between the tropics and the equator and the northern most point hits the artic circle. Of course, all of the ice up there hides the actual end of Khazardia and makes it look like it goes all the way to the north pole, where the Everlandian Santa lives. I am very aware that Khazardia is going to be quite big, Adallia is going to be tiny by comparison.

Any help would be great.

-D-

Karro
09-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Will do Gandwarf, but not on this map, this is only a colour/style test.

Yeah it would be a problem if a climate was temperant, mother nature is very annoyed in those areas :)

I have some questions if anyone can answer them. I need some measurements to help to set up Khazardia. I tried looking at an atlas but it didn't help. So, using the measurements for our world, my questions are...

1 - How far is it from the equator to the poles?
2 - How far is it from the equator to the tropic lines?
3 - How far is it from the poles to the artic circles?

If possible I would like the know these measurements in miles.

If anyone could answer these three I would be most grateful. The idea for Khazardia is that the southern most point sits between the tropics and the equator and the northern most point hits the artic circle. Of course, all of the ice up there hides the actual end of Khazardia and makes it look like it goes all the way to the north pole, where the Everlandian Santa lives. I am very aware that Khazardia is going to be quite big, Adallia is going to be tiny by comparison.

Any help would be great.

-D-

Earth's meridian circumference is 24,860 miles, so the distance from the equator to the poles is one quarter of that, or 6,215 miles.

The tropics lie at about 23 degrees, 26 minutes, with each degree representing approximately 68.7 to 68.8 miles. So the tropics are roughly about 1,600 miles from the equator (I calculated about 1,608 or 1,609).

The arctic circle is at about 66 degrees, 33 minutes, so from 90 degress (the poles) down, with each degree at this point representing roughly 69 miles (the difference having to do, I think, with the oblong shape of the earth, being somewhat flatish at the poles compared to the equator), the circles are roughly 1,618 miles from the poles (not appreciably greater than the distance of the tropics from the equator).

LonewandererD
09-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Thanks a million Karro :)

As my map is divided into 100x100 mile square grids I'm going to round to the nearest 50 miles (100 pixels). So my measurements are

Pole to Polar Circle = 1,600 miles
Equator to Pole = 6,200 miles
Equator to Tropic = 1,600 miles

This means that Adallia, which is about 3,300 miles from north to south (and about 2,900 miles from east to west), should fit snugly between the tropic lines, on the assumption that its 3,800 miles from tropic to tropic. I have 500 miles to spare, i actually have more to spare than this because i counted by grid, not by where the land actually sat in the grid and so the actually length is less.

So, from the southern to northern tips, Khazardia should be about 4,600 Miles. Using my grid system, this comes down to about 9,200 pixels. That's big, but big is realistic and realistic is what I need.

Thanks again, now that I have my height I need an approximate length, does anyone know far it is from the eastern to western border of Russia? I'm aiming for about that size for my width, maybe wider if i feel that Russia isn't big enough. I'm thinking that Khazardia needs to be twice as wide as Adallia, or close to it, so I'll need about 5,800 miles (11,600 pixels). Is that about the distance from the east border to the west border of Russia, or is it closer to the distance from east of Asia to the west of Europe?

Khazardia will be divided into about three maps so my comp doesn't crash from trying to run 9,200 x 11,600 pixels. Each map should be a little smaller than Adallia.

On a side note, would a landmass this big really be classified as a single continent? Should I break it down into more continents?

-D-

Karro
09-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks a million Karro :)

As my map is divided into 100x100 mile square grids I'm going to round to the nearest 50 miles (100 pixels). So my measurements are

Pole to Polar Circle = 1,600 miles
Equator to Pole = 6,200 miles
Equator to Tropic = 1,600 miles

This means that Adallia, which is about 3,300 miles from north to south (and about 2,900 miles from east to west), should fit snugly between the tropic lines, on the assumption that its 3,800 miles from tropic to tropic. I have 500 miles to spare, i actually have more to spare than this because i counted by grid, not by where the land actually sat in the grid and so the actually length is less.

So, from the southern to northern tips, Khazardia should be about 4,600 Miles. Using my grid system, this comes down to about 9,200 pixels. That's big, but big is realistic and realistic is what I need.

Thanks again, now that I have my height I need an approximate length, does anyone know far it is from the eastern to western border of Russia? I'm aiming for about that size for my width, maybe wider if i feel that Russia isn't big enough. I'm thinking that Khazardia needs to be twice as wide as Adallia, or close to it, so I'll need about 5,800 miles (11,600 pixels). Is that about the distance from the east border to the west border of Russia, or is it closer to the distance from east of Asia to the west of Europe?

Khazardia will be divided into about three maps so my comp doesn't crash from trying to run 9,200 x 11,600 pixels. Each map should be a little smaller than Adallia.

On a side note, would a landmass this big really be classified as a single continent? Should I break it down into more continents?

-D-

It looks like Russia is roughly 5,000 - 6,000 miles across at it's widest points, depending on how you define the widest points.

As for whether a continent this size could be one continent: that all depends. It could be a super-continent that consists of several smaller plates that have smashed and stuck together - kind of like the whole Eurasia continent has bits from a European plate, an Asian/Russian plate, and the Indian plate. It's potentially conceivable that it's all on one massive plate, but that seems somewhat less likely.

LonewandererD
09-12-2009, 10:00 AM
No maps right now, but i do have some questions.

1) This isn't that important but it is something I would like some opinions on. To the east of the my southern continent I have a large island chain. This chain is very large, reaching about 2,000 Miles with the largest island about 1000x600 Miles. These islands are pretty close together so from space they appear to be almost one landmass and for the most part they all sit on the same tectonic plate. My question is would it be big enough to be classified as a continent or should I just keep calling it a very big archipelago?

2) This has to do with colouring. I'm trying to create a style for snow for my maps and I'm at a loss how to go about this. I tried to simply lightly paint on some white using a soft airbrush but this didn't give me a realistic enough look, this technique does work for mountains though, but it has to be used very lightly. Then I tried changing the colour of the land using a gradient to try and get some white that naturally fades into my base land colour but the transition didn't look right and the setting I use for land colour (Hard light) doesn't work so well with the white. Then I tried to paint straight white and try to break it up by fiddling with the fill/opacity or apply some sort of texture. The textures didn't work to well on the flat white, it didn't look realistic enough, and neither did the change in fill or opacity.

I say this alot and I'm going to say this again, I need help.

I need help not just wiht coming up with snow but with some other snow related problems. First I need to know what kind of mountains would look good in a tundra/snow environ and how to make these mountains look like they're covered in snow and how the transition from snow covered fields to snow mountains should look. Same goes for forests, i have a colour but no idea how to apply snow.

As always, any help would be great.

-D-

Steel General
09-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Can't help you with the island chain -vs- continent question, I'm sure someone will be along to give you an answer.

Snow and ice can be tricky, I usually use a texture and/or pattern to do it. Plenty of good ones out there.

For snow caps on mountains, I usually use a medium opacity/flow, round airbrush and 'dot' the mountain peaks, I've also used pattern/textures to do it as well.

There really is no "right" way to do it.

You may want to look at some of the finished maps, find one with the right 'look' then check with the author to see how they did it.

LonewandererD
09-12-2009, 12:22 PM
practice map updating

I've played around with the desert in the arid/dry area map. It can now be distinguished from arid wastelands, which had its own tweaking, but the transition is easy and clean from one to the other.

I've also done the map of tundra/snow areas. As is obvious the snow map is considerably colder and contrasts greatly with the warmer arid map, just the way it should be. The contrast may seem a little big now but on my actual maps the two area will never be right next to each other and will seperated by temperate zones that should make the transition from one to other a little cleaner.

How am I doing?

-D-

Ascension
09-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I like the color schemes, very sweet. There is something about the brush that you are using for the forests...it kind of looks stereoscopic, like one of those posters where you have to unfocus your eyes to see something 3d.

Gandwarf
09-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Very nice. The snow looks good and I love what you did to the river in the desert. Looks very convincing.

LonewandererD
09-14-2009, 08:09 AM
Okay, here's a very basic plan of what I have planned for Khazardia. The map will be about 9000x9000 pics so I can assemble it all as one giant map and then break it down into two or three smaller maps when its done.

I have an idea of the land but not of who shall be upon it. I've roughy guessed where some of the realms will be (the numbers) but I need some inspiration as what to do with the leftovers. Here's what I have so far. 1) is the Tonrell States, several warriors nations comprised almost entirely of humans. They're highly religious and suspicious of the outside world yet highly mercantile. 2) The northern reaches of the Zephyrn Empire. 3) The Magocracies, several nations entirely devoted to pursuit of magical power and sorcery. 4) The Valesnan, a demi-empire comprised entirely of civilisation-hating beast races. 5) was put there by accident, I actually have no idea what goes here. 6) This hasn't been put in but is the High Wastes a desolate tundra land adjacent to 4 and 5, note that the islands in the southeast are also taken. In one of these realms I need to out a large desolate area known as the Dendigrothi Waste.

Any ideas would be great.

-D-

Gidde
09-14-2009, 09:09 AM
Mountain placement looks good, and I really like the crater archipelago in the southeast. Not sure if the rough sketch just doesn't incorporate it, but you may want to curve the mountains there if it actually is a crater.

Looking forward to seeing the pieces put together!

LonewandererD
09-14-2009, 09:15 AM
Just a note, the "crater" in the southeast was not naturally formed and so the landscape around it is going to look distorted.

-D-

LonewandererD
09-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Update.

Here's the base B&W map for Khazardia, it came out bigger than planned but I can work with that. The red lines indicated the postitions of the Polar Circle and the Tropics Line.

As always, I have some questions for our world gurus. First, do deserts have to sit on the tropics line or can I explain it away with two large rain shadows? Second, assuming that this map depicts Khazardia in the summer, would snow descned south of the Poilar Circle line, and if so how far?

As always, any help or feedback is welcomed.

-D-

Yagisan
09-17-2009, 09:45 AM
Update.

Here's the base B&W map for Khazardia, it came out bigger than planned but I can work with that. The red lines indicated the postitions of the Polar Circle and the Tropics Line.

Is this the entire northern hemisphere ?

As always, I have some questions for our world gurus. First, do deserts have to sit on the tropics line
No - not all deserts are the hot and sandy type ;)

or can I explain it away with two large rain shadows?
It depends - I've tried to accurately model the climate zones for Prime, and where the deserts appear depends on temperature, rainfall, wind direction, rain shadow areas, booth in January and July. In my case, both my "cold" deserts are caused primarily by rain shadow year round, while my hot desert is cause by both high temperatures, and rain shadow (posted -> http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=80412#post80412).

Now, assuming that's the entire northern hemisphere, I'd tentatively place a cold desert between the two mountain ranges north of the number 5 in the handdrawn map, and perhaps a hot desert to the left of the mountains at number 3.

Second, assuming that this map depicts Khazardia in the summer, would snow descned south of the Poilar Circle line, and if so how far?
I think you might get some snow in the region bounded by mountains above 1 depending on ocean currents - if a warm current is coming past then it's possible - if a cold current it's unlikely.

As always, any help or feedback is welcomed.

-D-

Karro
09-17-2009, 10:05 AM
In addition to those notes, deserts and semi-arid environments also tend to form in the interiors of large landmasses. This is because even if there are no impediments like mountains to cause rainshadow... as moisture is moved across large land areas and cools, it condescends (rains). At some point, enough moisture has already been removed from the air that without a large body of water to draw more moisture from as air currents move further and further inland, the air gets drier and drier and the land gets less and less rainfall.

As I understand it, between rainshadow and the massive size of the Asian continent, this is what causes the Gobi Desert, which isn't very near the tropics at all.

LonewandererD
09-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys and to answer your question Yagisan no this is not the entire northern hemisphere, if it was I would have a rather small world. I'm working on this world with a friend of mine, this is the northern hemisphere in my half of the world.

You've pretty much guessed where I was going to put the hot and cold deserts in the northern hemisphere, I just needed clarification that my placement didn't violate normal environmental placement. With the cold desert, would it become grassland if it where watered by rivers that are fed from the mountains and the annual thawing of ice? Or would the areas arounf the rivers be green but the rest dry? I have an idea of a grassland orientated country and I want to know where to put it.

Also, the mountains on my plan are going to be smaller on the actual map, they look bigger on the plan because I had less space to work with.

I did think I was going to get snow in the no1 region, I'm going to change the direction of the mountains in that region so that they angle down to the southeast and not the southwest, this should mean I would have snow trapped between in the mountains and the inland sea right?

I have some basic knowledge of water currents and climate placement that I'm using to colour the rest of Khazardia. Here's what I think its going to look like, correct me if i'm wrong. The southeast on the ocean side of the mountains should be tropical and wet. the other side of the mountains is going to be arid turning into desert further in, sort of like the southern regions of america and mexico. The northwest should be cloudy, miserable and heavily forested, like England and I think Scandinavia (check spelling). The northeast should also be heavily forested but a little warmer and more pleasant than on the other side because water is travelling up from the tropics, like Maine. The south west should be arid changing to greener areas along the coast, like the Meditirenean (check spelling). The centre is a mix of grasslands, wastes, deserts and forests (for the areas that gets enough rainfall). Am I right in my planning? And what areas, if any, in the centre would be forested?

-D-

LonewandererD
09-19-2009, 04:05 AM
Not really an update but something I need to run by our climate experts.

Here is the basic climate layout for Khazardia. The numbers and red lines are the smaller sections I've broken the map down into for colouring also there for the convenience of pointing out where change is needed. Red on green is terrible I know. Right now I've done section 1 and I'm currently working on section 2. Colour code is as follows...

Blue = Water.
Brown = Major mountain chains.
Dark Green = Temperate zones, heavily forested turning into grasslands in low rainfall areas. Warmer and more pleasant in the east and colder in the west.
Lighter Green = Warmer zones. Mainly plains/savanah in higher rainfall zones but arid wastes further in where it is dryer. Green along the coasts and around local water sources like rivers and lakes.
Bright Green = Tropical zones, same as Adallia, jungle terrain and marshes.
Papyrus = Desert.
White = Snow covered/tundra. Heavily forested in higher rainfall areas.

Is this plan accuarate you do I need to change stuff?

-D-

Yagisan
09-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Here is the basic climate layout for Khazardia. The numbers and red lines are the smaller sections I've broken the map down into for colouring also there for the convenience of pointing out where change is needed. Red on green is terrible I know. Right now I've done section 1 and I'm currently working on section 2. Colour code is as follows...

Blue = Water.
Brown = Major mountain chains.
Dark Green = Temperate zones, heavily forested turning into grasslands in low rainfall areas. Warmer and more pleasant in the east and colder in the west.
Lighter Green = Warmer zones. Mainly plains/savanah in higher rainfall zones but arid wastes further in where it is dryer. Green along the coasts and around local water sources like rivers and lakes.
Bright Green = Tropical zones, same as Adallia, jungle terrain and marshes.
Papyrus = Desert.
White = Snow covered/tundra. Heavily forested in higher rainfall areas.

Is this plan accuarate you do I need to change stuff?

-D-
I don't claim to be an expert, but on a quick once over, these are my observations:

For snow to fall we need moisture in the air to hit a nice cold area, and as moisture tends to come in from the sea, and not seeing all of the northern hemisphere, but noting the large sea to the side, I'd hand wave that it's likely you do have warm currents heading that way, and in fact the snow at 15 is on the wrong side of the mountains, and that the location you have snow in, may well be icecap and/or frozen tundra.

The coastal regions around number 5 would have a climate similar to Perth near the dark green regions, becoming more like Broome towards the desert.

In 13 I'd expect a bit more tundra, and for some reason the coast along 2 just screams NSW to QLD coast to me.

Hope it helps,

Yagisan

LonewandererD
09-19-2009, 07:10 AM
You don't know how strange, and somewhat refreshing, it is to hear someone use Australian locales as descriptions, it really helps. I was going to have the coast line of 2 to be rainforest but being so far north of the equator, and the tropics line, i thouhg it would be more temperate. But looking at Queensland and NSW it does make sense.

I'm going to be put more tundra up in 13, its actually supposed to be the site of cold desert, at least I think it would be, and I will put some snow on the other side of the mountains in 15. Iw ill have to look up the climate types for Perth and Broome, i'm not that familiar with them as I'm on the other side of Australia.

Thnx Yagisan

-D-

Yagisan
09-19-2009, 08:16 AM
You don't know how strange, and somewhat refreshing, it is to hear someone use Australian locales as descriptions, it really helps. Well, they would be the ones I have the most direct experience with ;) ( I'm in Sydney myself)

I was going to have the coast line of 2 to be rainforest but being so far north of the equator, and the tropics line, i thouhg it would be more temperate. But looking at Queensland and NSW it does make sense. The mountain range just evokes the great dividing range, and the obviously more arid interior would suggest a quick transition from central NSW to far western NSW climate. The southern end looks like sub-tropical Brisbane and as you get further towards the equator, you transition into tropical Cairns.

I'm going to be put more tundra up in 13, its actually supposed to be the site of cold desert, at least I think it would be, and I will put some snow on the other side of the mountains in 15. Iw ill have to look up the climate types for Perth and Broome, i'm not that familiar with them as I'm on the other side of Australia.

Thnx Yagisan

-D-

I think this picture makes it rather clear what I think the area looks like:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Australia_satellite_plane.jpg

This is an extremly useful page for climate classification http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6ppen_climate_classification

As for your cold desert in 13 - I'd think of something like the Nullarbor Plain in the warmer regions with tundra closer to the pole

LonewandererD
09-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Thnx, I have on Koppen around here somewhere but could never really get into it, suppose I'll have to get into now, should be a great help. Thnx for reminding.

You know, I've heard it sung in song but have never really took it seriously but Australia really does look like it's sunburnt. "I love a sunburnt country!"

-D-

Karro
09-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Well, I can't put this in Aussie terms (I'm a USian, myself), but I think your arid grasslands that you see mostly in 5 and 3 would extend upward further into 6 and 7 possibly even 10. Not that USian terms will help, but I'm thinking how the Great Plains extend over a very wide portion of the interior of the US and you get arid "badlands" up in the Dakotas. You would still have temperate forests on either side in 6/8 and 9/12

LonewandererD
09-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Not a bad idea Karro, I did want a grassland orientated culture and now I know where to put it.

Don't worry about using USian terms, quite a bit of my inspiration for Khazardia came from looking at some maps of the US, mostly the southern/central regions.

-D-

Karro
09-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Glad I was able to help!

LonewandererD
10-06-2009, 10:44 AM
My first maps never survive for long and Khazardia was no expection as I'm now working on Khazardia mark 2. Mark 1 lack that sense of scale I really wanted. I'm going to recycle a lot of mark 1 for mark but ultimately its going to be bigger, large to extend from the equator and past the polar circle, about 5000 miles from north to south and 8000 miles from east to west. Also, mark 2 is going to be broken up more, with more bodies of water cutting into the land; mark 1 was just too blocky for me. The idea is that a large that is already broken up will be easier to split into smaller regions. The regions of Adallia (of which there are 3) we broken up by political borders whereas the regions of khazardia need to be broken up by geographical borders, i.e. The Talumachi City States are seperated from the Cynnagul Lands by the Cynan Straights.

Enough of that, I has a question. I know that rain can block wind and any rain it carries, thus forming rainshadows, but can the mountains also redirect rain? If i have wind coming down from the north bearing rain and it hits a mountain range that is angle down to the southeast would the rain then be directed down to the southeast?

Also, does any know how to make convincing looking ice/ice caps in photoshop?

-D-

Karro
10-06-2009, 10:51 AM
My first maps never survive for long and Khazardia was no expection as I'm now working on Khazardia mark 2. Mark 1 lack that sense of scale I really wanted. I'm going to recycle a lot of mark 1 for mark but ultimately its going to be bigger, large to extend from the equator and past the polar circle, about 5000 miles from north to south and 8000 miles from east to west. Also, mark 2 is going to be broken up more, with more bodies of water cutting into the land; mark 1 was just too blocky for me. The idea is that a large that is already broken up will be easier to split into smaller regions. The regions of Adallia (of which there are 3) we broken up by political borders whereas the regions of khazardia need to be broken up by geographical borders, i.e. The Talumachi City States are seperated from the Cynnagul Lands by the Cynan Straights.

Enough of that, I has a question. I know that rain can block wind and any rain it carries, thus forming rainshadows, but can the mountains also redirect rain? If i have wind coming down from the north bearing rain and it hits a mountain range that is angle down to the southeast would the rain then be directed down to the southeast?

Also, does any know how to make convincing looking ice/ice caps in photoshop?

-D-

I'm not 100% on this but I believe what happens is that the wet air starts cooling as it comes up over the mountains. As it cools, the water in the air condenses grows heavy, and falls. Because of this, the windward side of the mountain will get a lot of rain/precipitation and the leeward side will get relatively little. I believe that not much of it will be left to be deflected in another direction to go around the mountains.

Gidde
10-06-2009, 03:03 PM
That's my understanding as well -- moisture gets dumped rather than deflected.

LonewandererD
10-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Hey, minor update.

This is the new base plan for Khazardia (I'm thinking of changing the name, any suggestions?). It was drawn on two seperate pages which is why the the two halves don't line up right, the scanner did something weird to them. You get the idea.

Khazardia differs from Adallia in that Adallia was divided into countries with each country having its own colour. Khazardia is much larger than Adallia and so isn't divided into countries but cultural groups, as can be seen on the plan. Adallia didn't need this as it was all one culture. Each cultural group will have its own colour and will then be further broken down into countries.

Basically, this is what I have planned for each area. The two lines cutting across the landmasses are the tropics line and the polar circle.

1 - The Valesnian Empire. A brutish, primitive empire built on war and highly resistant to the spread of more civilised southern cultures. The area is heavily forested with the Western area being quite mountainous.
2 - Cyna. A small nation made up of near-xenophobic Ithekins. Dry inland but greener near the coast, especially during the wet season, sort of like the mediterenean (check spelling) climate.
3 - The Magocracies. Several nations unified under the pursuit of magick. The east and southern regions are topical with the rest being warm and dry almost all year round.
4 - The Tulimachi States. A collection of powerful city states associated with slave trade. Climate is the same as Cyna but on a larger scale i.e. a lot dryer inland.
5 - The Territories of the Zephyrn Empire. The northern provinces of the powerful mercantile empire of Zephyr in northern Loratolia. Very green around the coasts but the western area in the rainshadow of the mountains is very dry
6 - The Tonrell Nations. Several ancient nations renowned for the their sea faring accomplishments and featuring the largest number of Doumr who rule the nations. The area is cold and wet with vast pine (or is it evergreen?) forests.
7 - The High Wastes. For the most part this area is unclaimed and left to the less civilised races with only small civilised colonies being established in the west and south. Same as the Tonrell Nations but with larger expanses of tundra and grasses.
8 - No real idea. Need help with this one.
9 - Same as number 8.
10 - The Iset Nations. Several pseudo-european nations with strong religious beliefs and fierce prejudice of magick users. Your average temperate zone.
11 - The Khazard Expanses. Known as the land of thunder these lands are home to many giant races and small nomadic nations. The western areas are temperate forests and the central and eastern areas are wide plains and grasslands.
12 - The Dendigrothi Wastes. A forboding place contested by demon worshippers, the Valesnian Empire and the ancient Grandarch Giant race. Need help with the climate type here.

Have I got this right? Where would any hot/cold deserts form?

Truthfully this map is going to be a bigger pain than Adallia. Adallia was 2x2 pages, this is going to be 4x6 pages, am I going too big?

NOTE: For ease of colouring Khazardia will be broken down even further into smaller areas and so the areas on the plan are subject to change.

-D-

Gidde
10-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Personally, I don't think you can go too big, if your computer can handle it. After all, you're mapping a world that is likely (if it's Earth-like) 25000 miles around. The bigger the map, the more of that world fits.

The short short version of the desert question: Deserts will surround your tropics line (especially inland), and follow the east side of mountains (rain shadow). You'll have especially lush areas on the west sides of mountain ranges (where the rain gets dumped causing the shadow on the other side), especially on the west coast, though that will dry out near the tropic line.

LonewandererD
10-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Update...

Here is the b&w base map for Khazardia. It's not as broken up, ocean wise, as I would have liked so I'm going to make the next map I do a lot more broken up. I'm also drawing up plans for a small eastern pseudo-continent so I'll get pics up on that soon.

I'm glad I just recently changed to a better laptop for this map is huge, almost three times the size of Adallia and the image attached is only one fifth the size of its original size. I know it doesn't look like it but it is bigger than north america and europe and almost bigger than russia. I'm drawing up the climate plan for it using Koppen's Climate Clarrification System, this is a great boon to any map maker and I greatly reccommend it.

And just a few things to clarrify and question about. One, i didn't really make it clear at the beginning but the Everlandias are only my half of the world me and my friend are making, I have the eastern hempisphere, he has the west. Two, what kind of style would this type of map be? Is it Atlas, satellite, pseudo-satellite? And how do I refer to this style, do still call it Ascension's style, an adaptation of Ascension's style, or my style?

So, what do yall think, what needs work?

-D-

Ascension
10-24-2009, 01:02 AM
You make the most dynamic and exciting continent shapes, super cool.

LonewandererD
10-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Updating, this new laptop runs photoshop so much faster than before.

I have two map plans, one regional and one climate, both are likely to change, especially the former. Also included is Koppen's Climate Classification System, for use with the climate plan. As with before the map has been broken down into smaller portions for colouring and to make any future changers easier.

I'm also may put up more practice maps, I'm experimenting with more differing climate types and colours.

-D-

Steel General
10-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Hmmm...Might have to give that CCS (to long a name :)) a look-see. I usually ignore that kind of stuff and just wing it based on 'real world' knowledge.

Jeff_Wilson63
10-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Here is the b&w base map for Khazardia.
I sort of hate to say it, but this map strikes me as not just being unlikely, but completely impossible. I'd like to know what sort of geological processes made it that way. I wish I had some positive feedback to offer, but I don't.

LonewandererD
10-24-2009, 07:13 PM
For the most part, this world was not made by normal geological processes, it was literally hand crafted by the Elder Gods and has sinse endured two world wide catastrophies and the near-melting of the southern polar icecaps. The area at 11 used to be a solid landmass before the catastrophe.

I was thinking of alering some of the areas, would it help if i removed some of the outlying islands and filled in some of the area arounf 14 and 15?

-D-

Jeff_Wilson63
10-24-2009, 07:58 PM
What sort of catastrophes? Surface explosions/impacts? Outgassing? Eruptions? Nanoclasm? Magical transformation? Desertification?

Getting rid of some of the islands would help. You have a lot of barrier islands. Unless they're built on something unusual in coastal areas on our world, barrier islands at that scale tend to erode rapidly.

The area around 14 and 15 is actually the one area where the outline makes sense to me. I can see the continental rift to the (north)west of that area where two continental plates (or the equivalent) are pulling away from each other.

rdanhenry
10-25-2009, 03:53 AM
The thing that strikes me as off is the strait at the lower left. It is really very straight, like it was cut with the sword of a god. Now, if it was cut with the sword of a god, that's great. If not, well, I'd make it a little less of straight strait.

LonewandererD
10-26-2009, 04:48 AM
Okay, not much of an update but what the hey.

Attchaed is a slightly altered map of Khazardia, most of the changes aren't noticeable but the little things still count. I've gone back and removed alot of the small islands, there were quite aq few that just felt out of place. However, instead of deleting these maps I merged the large ones with the coast line of the straights in the south-west to break up the out-off-place straight look it had. I've also rearranged some of the islands, such as in the southeast.

I'm starting the colouring now. Should I update after I've coloured every few areas or wait until I've done the whole lot?

-D-

LonewandererD
10-26-2009, 10:57 AM
Don't you just love who can stumble upon sometinh nice completely by accident. I was playing around with my grassland layer, well I was actually trying to make my wastes look more wasted (i know there's a joke here), when I came across something interesting. Below are two maps, a before and after if you will, and would like to know of what poeple think. Does this new grassland look better than the one before, should I use it?

Also, and I know this will make me unpopular, but I'm considering redoing the map of Adallia, not a complete makeover but and improved version of it. I have a several reasons why i think i need to redo it and the first one is that in doing research for this map and experimenting with photoshop I've found many things in the Adallia map to be flawed and in need of change.

Also, and lastly, i've been experimenting with ways in which I can make my mountains look much more mountainy, they just seems so flat right now, Ascension's method, although great, just isn't working right with all of the changes I'm trying to make with the maps. Any ideas?

-D-

Ascension
10-26-2009, 12:10 PM
With a lil bit darker green painted over top that would make a nice forest. Also check my current wip, Aalder, as I will be posting a tweak for something a lil bit different for mountains.

Juggernaut1981
10-27-2009, 02:47 AM
Yeah currently your grasslands look like they've been overrun with blackberry briars. Awesome "not old growth" forest texture... waaaay too much shadow for grasslands.

LonewandererD
10-31-2009, 07:25 AM
Truthfully I haven't gotten a lot done on my maps, other stuff keeps getting in the way.

Before I do continue with my maps however I'm going to be doing a lot of experimenting with my colours in order to try and make my own style and improve on the litte things I had before. Right now I have a revision for my oceans. The first image is my ocean before the change and the second one is the ocean after the change, i felt i need to make a clearer difference between shallow and deep water. It gets deeper further out but this map is focusing on the coastal area so it isn't visible.

Next I'm moving onto grasslands and mountains.

-D-

LonewandererD
10-31-2009, 08:36 AM
I shouldn't double post but as soon as I posted the last post I epxeriment a bit more and came up with more ocean pics. Now the deep water goes preety close to the coast, as it does on satellite maps I've seen of earth. Here are two pics, the same thing but with different layer styles, which is better or should i use neither?

-D-

Steel General
10-31-2009, 09:13 AM
I like them both, but if I was forced to pick between the two I'd go with the second one.

Gidde
10-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Definitely the second.

Gandwarf
10-31-2009, 09:52 AM
The second!

Ramah
10-31-2009, 09:58 AM
Is it just me or do they "bubble" up over the land? Especially the rivers? Or is that expected at this stage?

LonewandererD
10-31-2009, 10:21 AM
It seems I'm going with the second one :)

@Ramah - I looked into the "bubbling" and found that it most likely caused by the shelf layer, I went back and tweaked it, maybe the attached version is less bubbly. I also added an outer glow for the beaches. I know the ocean looks darker in this one but thats becuase I forgot to save the previous oceaqn and made this one a shade too dark, i know what the mistake was and will fix it in future maps.

-D-

Ascension
10-31-2009, 02:19 PM
I like this just as it is...I always like the darker colors and the lil beachy thing looks good too.

LonewandererD
11-01-2009, 04:06 AM
Instead of trying to work my way through each little aspect of a map I just dove and decided to experiment with different environments and came up with these three.

The first one is a tropical/jungle terrain, the second is a more temperate areas and the third is a much dryer area. I'n trying the get some good pictures of pine forests so that I can do a colder region and I'm also experiment arids/deserts and plains.

Should I keep them or go ahead with what I had before?

-D-

Gandwarf
11-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Impressive... although the rivers are still bubbly I think (sticking out). It's kind ruining the effect for me.

LonewandererD
11-01-2009, 07:15 AM
These are pretty much refinements of what I had before with the additions of a fourth "plains" climate.

@Gandwarf - Not sure but i think i fixed the bubbly problem.

-D-

LonewandererD
11-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Not much but these are the winter versions of the temperate and plains climates.

-D-

Steel General
11-01-2009, 07:32 AM
They look good so far, but the rivers still look off to me. Depending on what your current settings are, maybe try reversing the bevel.

Gandwarf
11-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Yeah, the terrain looks great, but the rivers still seem a bit strange (more so in some examples than in others).

LonewandererD
11-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Hmmm, should I continue with these styles, the more get into them the more I question whether or not they fit with the rest of the map.

-D-

Ascension
11-01-2009, 08:16 AM
I think the terrains and forests look great. The river problem you have partially addressed...use an outer bevel. The other part is that you need to set it to down instead of up.

Gandwarf
11-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Yeah, as I said, the terrain looks great! It is just the rivers for me.

LonewandererD
11-01-2009, 08:27 AM
One problem with the rivers is that it is already set to down. To try and get a better feel for this new style I drew up two maps, same landmass but each coloured with the two different styles, minus the rivers. Which is better?

-D-

Gandwarf
11-01-2009, 08:38 AM
I think I like the first better.

Ramah
11-01-2009, 08:39 AM
The second one looks better to me there. But the sea still seems to be suffering from the same problem as the rivers. It seems to be above the land, like a small amount of liquid on a piece of plastic.

LonewandererD
11-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Hmm, truthfully I'm not too crazy about either map, they have their ups and downs, so I'm going to try and go for a third style that uses aspects of both, mostly the land textures of the second one with the more fantasy tyle of the first. Forests are still are puzzle though, i'm still ot sure how to make convincing jungles and such. I like my temperate forests and the texture i use for the dryer forests but ican't add them to the map in a way that looks convincing. I've seen a map that has sort of what I'm after but I've been unable to replicate a similiar effect.

I could just take the "Total War" approacha and only have smalll groupings of trees and more open spaces, playing Empire Total War was actually what inspired me to experiment, the overland maps look real good.

I think I've fixed the river problem, i changed it to an outer bevel, thnx Ascension. Now back to experimenting.

-D-

Ascension
11-01-2009, 09:21 AM
The second peninsula looks very jungle-y to me or very pine-y and I like it a lot...lots of contrast. The first peninsula looks more like forests on a plains area...colors are all closer together, I like that too.

LonewandererD
11-06-2009, 07:22 AM
To try and get an idea of how the continents will fit together I made a small map with both Adallia and Khazardia, both scaled down to a quarter of their original size. Sadly, looking at the landmasses together I'm not too thrilled, they don't look natural. Would anybody be angry if I started over again? I know I've already done it before but If it go back and really pay attention to getting it all done right I think it'll be worth it, I especially need to go back and work harder in detailing all of the individual areas.

Also, what software do I use to turn a flat 2d image in a 3d globe, when I've done my half of the world I want to see how it would look as if it where an actual world.

-D-

Karro
11-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Up to you, man, if you want to start over. Although, I think one easy fix is to move the Adallia continent to the east of rather than west of the Khazardia continent. At least, it works in my mind's eye.

To put these maps on a globe you can use Google Earth. I think there's a mini-tut somewhere on this site on how to do that.

basil4j
11-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I think you can also use bryce (there is a free version, I think v5.5 or something) which will accept a black and white height map and turn it into 3d.

RobA
11-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Gimp will do it (map to object/sphere). There is a post in the forums on using google earth to do it. any 3d modeling tool should be able to do it.

-Rob A>

LonewandererD
11-07-2009, 04:22 AM
In my search for better mountains i came once again to pasis' excellent tutorial, for which i will be using again when I try to tackle more believable town symbols. Anyway, here are four pics. The first is my orginal mountain type, the second is a mountain type i was going to use as low desert mountains, the third is my standard mountain type and the fourth is my cold/ash mountain type. I know I need more practice on actually drawing the mountains, I was never great at this style of mountain but chose it because it gives me more control on mountain placement which I need, but which of the textures/colours work and which don't. I am working on some more rock textures so if these mountains don't work I'll have some new ones up soon.

-D-

Preypacer
11-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Wow... Very nice work!

I love this style... it's actually the style I'd like to create the world map for my own project in. I think all the little details, little corners, openings in a forest, etc... help to stir my imagination to what might be hidden away in there that some adventurous person might discover.

Are there any specific tutorials or references that you used in putting this together? I read through most of the thread, though I may have missed such details since it was kind of a lot to read and I did skim a bit :-p.

Also, I'm starting to learn GIMP seriously now (dabbled with it on and off, but always resorted back to PS), so this would be a great way to learn the software and create an (ideally) attractive map.

Thanks!