PDA

View Full Version : Ubin

Naina
07-20-2009, 05:35 PM
This is me working on a request from DJKester. I'm trying to mimic the style here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14514&d=1246150120
Unfortunately, I'm horrendous at making mountains look 'peakier'. I've tried layering multiple stacks of noise with varying opacity, but it doesn't work very well.

Ascension
07-20-2009, 06:40 PM
If you're using Photoshop then use the filter-render-lighting effects and make sure to use a channel (I use red). I cover this in my atlas tutorial and my continent tutorial. Solid start tho.

EDIT: Read your hello post and saw that you're using Gimp, no idea of how to do lighting effects in Gimp. You might need to draw them in by hand or maybe one of our Gimpers here knows of a Gimp script to do something similar.

DJKESTER
07-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Naina,

This is a great start and I'm glad to be working with you on it. I think that is a great style and I'm sure that your style will be some what your own and unique as you evolve your techniques.

Nice start
Dave

Naina
07-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Learned how to do mountains and added a bit of texture to the land.

It was mentioned that the Ampara Wilderness region was jungle and swamp, so I added a big ol' drainage basin, Amazon-River style.

The big thing I'm debating right now is how much ground coverage to show on the map; most of the north is jungle, but you don't get that just by looking. I feel that adding any more colors or textures will start to detract from the style I'm aiming for.

RobA
07-21-2009, 11:09 AM
Same way in GIMP-

Either:
Filters->Distorts Emboss (with an elevation of 3)deg makes a good overlay latyer)
Filters->Map->Bumpmap
or
Filters->Light and Shadow->Lighting Effects

depending on what you want.

EDIT: See you managed already!

-Rob A>

DJKESTER
07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Its looking really good. As for the way to depict the terrain I don't have a lot of value to add.

i'm traveling on business. When I get home on Friday I'll send you some ideas on locals in the north and south.