PDA

View Full Version : [unpaid]Roleplay World Maps

NReeki
07-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Hi, I'm very new here, so sorry if I miss anything.

I have an RP board, and I just recently set up two new RPs which require world maps. The first RP is set in the late 1700s and the other is loosely based off of Spore. I hope that there can be somebody kind enough to please make two different maps, preferably in greyscale, with earth elements if at all possible. I know what I'm asking for is steep, but I can't make maps at all...

For the 1700s RP, I would like the continents to be small, surrounded by seas with island chains present.

The Spore one, much like Earth, but at the same time not too much like it...does that make sense?

As I've reread the sticky (thanks RobA) I added these in:

The map needs to be somewhat similar to this one (applies to both maps) *Warning: Big map)

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/7552/iamsargun2.png

It will need to be quite smaler, but I'm looking for a blank Earth-like map, with three or four continents.

There is no time restraints as I have all the time I need to look for a map. As the artist, you'll hold copyright to the map, and I will credit the artist on the board.

RobA
07-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi NReeki - this is the place to ask.

If you read the sticky in the forum it indicated a few more details you should include with your request. Take a read and then edit your post. It helps people know what you want without having to ask the same questions over and over...

-Rob A>

NReeki
07-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Ah, OK. Thanks! I've edited the post to reflect more (I hope).

Jykke
07-24-2009, 12:51 PM
just the continents, no borders, labels or anything like that ?

Steel General
07-24-2009, 01:26 PM
A very simple sketch of what you are looking for might be helpful to any of those interested in this.

RobA
07-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Still a bit confused-- are you looking for "earth-like" or earth?

Wikipedia has blank world maps in SVG format that can be opened in may programs and turned into a bitmap at any size:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Worldmap_wdb_combined.svg

-Rob A>

NReeki
07-24-2009, 02:35 PM
just the continents, no borders, labels or anything like that ?

That would be best if possible. Since I already have an earth RP, I would like something different from the map I have above. I could certainly try to make an impromptu map in Paint (I have no acess to a scanner) and upload it here.

Jykke
07-24-2009, 03:13 PM
most people have their own style of doing maps etc.. and I'm not sure if you would get exactly what you want if you let someone else do the job :P

beriothien
07-24-2009, 05:09 PM
The link you gave us is broken, because apparently it ''Can not be shown because it has mistakes.'' .
Quoting the error the site gave me.

NReeki
07-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Well, really I'll be happy to take whatever I can get. To me, what the map looks like doesn't matter, as long as I can edit it easily I'm happy.

As a side note, would it be considered advertising to put a link to my RP board so you can get the gist of what the map may need to look like?

ravells
07-25-2009, 06:19 PM
Not at all, pop your link this thread. That's fine.

NReeki
07-25-2009, 09:46 PM
"pop your link this thread"? Sorry, me American ears ain't used ta that...:D

In any case, the board link is here:

http://z13.invisionfree.com/N_Reekis_RPG_Board/index.php?act=idx

NReeki
07-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Alright, I worked a bit this morning and drew up this map, basically what I would like. I consider my map to be infinetly inferior, because, well...it was made in Paint.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/3221/empiresofarchioplago.jpg

Obviously that's the basics of what I need. Like before, it doesn't have to look exactly like this, but if you guys can create a map with a few continents, that's be great.

ravells
07-28-2009, 03:34 AM
Something like this?

(Using RobA's tutorial on coastlines).

NReeki
07-28-2009, 08:19 AM
YES! That's PERFECT! Thank you! May I have a direct link to the image, please?

Also, I love the font. Where did you get it?

ravells
07-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Welcome!

If you click twice on the thumbnail it will open the image to its native size and you can copy or save it. The font is called Tempus Sans ITC, I think it's one of the ones that ship with Photoshop.

NReeki
07-28-2009, 09:29 AM
Ah. I'll have to steal Photoshop from my friend when he gets back from Bible Camp then.

RobA
07-28-2009, 10:12 AM
I've been playing with the cubism filter in gimp to fractalize a coastline, thanks to someone's suggestion I can no longer locate...

Here is the result with your source image (not to steal Rav's thunder):

It ends up being a bit rougher. I'd like comments on the results/comparison with the other technique.

Thanks,

-Rob A>

Steel General
07-28-2009, 10:27 AM
It seems to work similar to the Crystalize filter in Photoshop.

ravells
07-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Nice RobA (and I suspect much faster than the not-so-precise coastline technique). It is definitely rougher but it seems to leave hairlike protrusions unlike the other one though.

NReeki
07-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Out of the two, personally I prefer the first. To me, it looks "cleaner", but that may be due to the rough edges on the second map.

I've also decided that I'll skip the trouble of a second map and just use a USA map for the Spore RP. Now it'll be up to the members of the RP board to decide which map they like better.