PDA

View Full Version : Agoya Shrine, Kaidan

Gamerprinter
07-24-2009, 03:25 AM
Inspired by my own Assassin's Lair map from last month. I thought I use the style to create a site map for my upcoming Pathfinder Adventure module, The Gift for my Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting.

Agoya Shrine - located just east of the Pass through the mountains. This will be the party's "campsite" for the third night on the road. A Shoten (shaman) will provide food, lodging and some education on the religions of Kaidan. He will provide some divination to the party, and he has a puzzle to solve.

This took me five hours to create, tonight.

Enjoy!

GP

Jykke
07-24-2009, 03:39 AM
Pretty nice :) You work quite fast I have to say!

ScriptKitty
07-24-2009, 03:42 AM
Nice stuff! Though when I think of a shrine, there are always little details that I think of... Little things like a water basin with a ladle near the entrance, for purifying one's hands and mouth before approaching the main building of the shrine. I really like the gate too, in my mind I picture it with a red frame and roof resembling a torii... if it had a shimenawa hanging across it, it would -really- remind me of a torii. I also love the design of the priest, a nice heian influence.

Gamerprinter
07-24-2009, 03:46 AM
You're right, ScriptKitty! I forgot the purification spring, something I need to add then. The shadow on the gate illustration moved anyway, while I was saving the file, so I need to fix that anyway.

The gate is made of stone, though it could be painted as well.

Hey check your PMs at the top right of the page - I sent you a couple PMs, ScriptKitty.

GP

Gandwarf
07-24-2009, 04:39 AM
Very nice Gamerpinter. The "shaman" and temple look great.

Jykke
07-24-2009, 04:53 AM
the dirt looks good on the stairs, but it would look even better if it continued on the upper stairs in smaller patches. It also bothers me a bit that it's just a bit too transparent when it hits the stairs.. but that's just a minor detail. :) I love the artwork btw, just awesome.

Ghostman
07-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Another excellent building map from GP. Five hours? Wow that's fast! Did you have illustrations of the Shoten and the gate entrance ready when you started making this map?

Jykke: good call with the dirt. I might add that there appears to be no dirt whatsoever on the steps of the gate.

Steel General
07-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Great stuff GP!

Good to see your various vision/ideas for Kaidan coming to fruition.

joćo paulo
07-24-2009, 08:54 AM
I realy like this old man :D

Karro
07-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Very artistic and pleasant to look at. Great job; your game is going to rock with this kind of work supporting it!

Gamerprinter
07-24-2009, 12:36 PM
OK, I tweaked the map some. I added a purification spring at the rock just passed the gate. I played with the dirt on the steps, but couldn't get it the way I wanted, so I removed the dirt off the stairs completely - it works better (besides shouldn't that priest sweep the stairs as part of his daily chores.) Fixed the misaligned shadow on the gate, and fit the outline to the shrine better than before. No reason to spend any more time on this, I still have too many maps to create. Oh and changed the grid from white to black. Its all good. (Time tweaking: 10 minutes.)

GP

Jykke
07-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Yeah, that fixed it. Good work :)

Gamerprinter
07-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Another excellent building map from GP. Five hours? Wow that's fast! Did you have illustrations of the Shoten and the gate entrance ready when you started making this map?

Jykke: good call with the dirt. I might add that there appears to be no dirt whatsoever on the steps of the gate.

I had photographs of the Shoten Priest and the Gate Entrance, did quick sketches of them first - as the first thing I did in starting this map. Actually I did the illustrations and the map title labeling, before I even started on the map.

GP

ScriptKitty
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
The spring looks great! ^^ Little details always add so much.