PDA

View Full Version : paid Novel Map

Chel
07-24-2009, 12:44 PM
This is a map intended to be placed on a web site for the book and portions to be placed on the inside cover. I had never done a map to spec before. It's bloody difficult. And the client always ends up moving things based on how it looks after you're done.

I originally was working in colour, but there were so many changes I stripped it all down and reduced it to an outline. Now I have to go back and update/finish the coloured version.

Also, most of the action of the story takes place in the northern portion for the first book, so the detail in the southern regions will remain bare until the 2nd book is more complete.

Oh.. and hello again. I moved a couple times so I haven't been around much! :o

I'm not happy with how I handled the roads and I think the title is cramped up top. Thoughts?

Gandwarf
07-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Chel:
The location and title of the thread suggest that you are requesting a map. However, if I understand correctly you are working on a commission?

If so I think we are going to move the thread to the Regional/world mapping forum.

Gandwarf
07-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Really like the colored version by the way. A shame you had to strip it down to black and white. Still, that version is also beautiful and it might work better in a printed copy.

Chel
07-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Chel:
The location and title of the thread suggest that you are requesting a map. However, if I understand correctly you are working on a commission?

If so I think we are going to move the thread to the Regional/world mapping forum.

Whoops! I had too many of the forum windows open and clicked post in zee wrong spot. :oops: Ahem, that'd be great if it were moved. >.>

Gandwarf
07-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Thread has been moved :)

Steel General
07-24-2009, 02:15 PM
@Chel - From what i can see it looks nice. But I have a monitor on the slow slide to CRT death so I'll hold off on any C&C until I'm at home.

Flex those CL muscles Gandwarf! :)

töff
07-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Just put something light-colored behind your title to bring out off the terrain underneath.

It's a very nice piece! Cheers :)

Gandwarf
07-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Have some rep by the way Chel.
The colored work is really beautiful.

Ascension
07-24-2009, 05:23 PM
I really like this style...might tempt me into giving up my usual style. Cool stuff. One thing that I notice, and it's probably my monitor doing it but I see a lot of little red blinking pixels.

Gandwarf
07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
One thing that I notice, and it's probably my monitor doing it but I see a lot of little red blinking pixels.

Are you drunk??? :D

Ascension
07-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Nope, something's going wrong on my end, my monitor has these red blinking pixels all over it in the darker color ranges, and little orange blinking lines in the very light color ranges. I'll figure it out over the weekend.

Gandwarf
07-24-2009, 05:39 PM
It's definitely your monitor, I do not have similar problems.

Steel General
07-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Sounds like it's time for a replacement.

Jykke
07-25-2009, 02:49 AM
Sounds pretty critical. I hope a replacement monitor won't cost too much..

ravells
07-25-2009, 06:13 AM
Before you chuck out your monitor, borrow another one to see if it is the monitor....

Redrobes
07-25-2009, 09:30 AM
I like both maps and the B&W one would be good in a book. The colored one has great style. I like the trees especially and also the border and lettering around edge.

Chel
07-25-2009, 12:49 PM
I like both maps and the B&W one would be good in a book. The colored one has great style. I like the trees especially and also the border and lettering around edge.

The trees were difficult. Spent a good couple hours trying to figure out how other people did it. Eventually made myself some photoshop brushes set to variate size and colour, might post them here.

Chel
07-25-2009, 12:50 PM
It's definitely your monitor, I do not have similar problems.

He lies, I posted an animated gif with blinky dots to freak you out. :twisted:

cereth
07-25-2009, 02:38 PM
They're both very nice maps, but that colored map is especially juicy.

Awesome job! :)