PDA

View Full Version : *** July 09 challenge voting - Enchantment ***

ravells
07-26-2009, 08:55 AM
PLEASE VOTE FOR 1 ENTRY

SEE THE THUMBNAILS HERE (http://www.cartographersguild.com/utilities/Thumbs/Html/Challengers_Jul09.htm)

PLEASE REP THE ENTRIES YOU VOTE FOR

Another month passes and thank you to those who took part. Some truly beautiful entries this month with only a short amount of time to complete them, possibly explaining why other entries were unfinished.

This month's challenge subject was:

We are are looking for a magical map, the kind that maybe held you as a child that you saw in an illustrated book or maybe the more scary type. Rich colours, places which suggest an otherwordliness....the choice is yours...we want a map which spells and epitomises the word 'enchantment' and what it means to you.

We had many imaginative entries which truly summed up the word 'enchantment' , unfortunately we can only each vote for one of them.

Good Luck to the contestants and thanks for voting!

Ascension
07-26-2009, 10:02 AM
For me, there was only one that really enchanted me. Others are good, unique, and cool but only one made me want to fly there and peer over the edge. So I tip my hat to Tear.

Gandwarf
07-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Noooooooooooo... why did I get just one vote?
Some very good entries, but had to choose between Jykke and Tear. It was very, very hard, but I finally went with Jykke.

Steel General
07-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I ultimately had to go with Tear as I felt that was the one that best embodied the challenge.

Redrobes
07-26-2009, 11:17 AM
A few unfinished ones, a few excellent entries done but for me too the map from Tear had that word enchantment in spades. Jykkes was marvelously done and m^5pig's was a nice book like illustration but alas for them my vote went to Tear this time.

Gamerprinter
07-26-2009, 12:03 PM
It was tough again, I almost went for Tear, but Jykke has tried so hard the last several challenges and the giant turtle is very nice. So I just flipped a coin and Jykke won.

GP

Coyotemax
07-26-2009, 12:30 PM
It's the turtle that did it for me. As I looked at the other ones I was thinking "oh cool" but when I figured out the turtle I said "Oh Neat!" out loud. How could I not vote for that one :)

Gandwarf
07-26-2009, 12:41 PM
LOL... let's see if this is going to be another close contest then.

DethinBlack
07-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Oh man. I really wanted to enter this contest, but didnt have time... Kinda glad I didnt because I had a similar Idea to Tear's. Though, he went about it way differently then I was thinking about it. It turned out Ridiculously awesome!

In the end, though, I think I will go with Jykke. Ive always liked the idea of the massive turtle that has people living on it, and the map just kind of struck me :D

I wish i could vote for two though :(

:P

joćo paulo
07-26-2009, 01:43 PM
All were great!
Oh!That light of dusk, jykke!
But my vote goes to the Tear's enchanted island.

Anomaly
07-26-2009, 08:22 PM
I really liked all of the entries. Congrats on jobs well done, folks.

The turtle wins it for me - I love the concept, and I'd love to be a player in that universe. It's evocative.

joao paulo - Yours was awesome, too. I'd like to have it done as an embroidered tapestry so I could hang it on my wall. :D

minifidel
07-27-2009, 03:37 AM
The two maps I liked the most were Jykke's and Tear's, and Tear's just kind of took my breath away, it was honestly beautiful.

Gandwarf
07-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Ooh, this is going to be a close vote. Me like :D

NeonKnight
07-27-2009, 11:31 AM
I wanted to vote for three! Tear's, Jykke, and Mmmmmmmmmpig's.

But it was Tear's that won out for me. The colors (like waterbrush), and the evocative imagery, I almost felt like I had read the book from which it came, and that, THAT to me was the heart of this challenge.

Karro
07-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Curse you, oh Dark Lords of Cartographer's Guild. Only one vote! You do this to torment me, don't you?

I shall report back later after I've decided between Jykke's and Tear's. Both are so beautiful and enchanting, in unique and individual ways.

Well, this is no knock against Tear's, who's entry has a beautiful, fairytale elegance to it, but in the end I just couldn't help but think of how stunned I was by my first impression of Jykke's Nemo. I've always loved the idea of an island growing on the back of a ginormous tortoise swimming through the sea. (I also love the idea of floating islands in the sky, too... which is part of what made this hard.) In the end, Nemo has my vote.

Redrobes
07-27-2009, 02:07 PM
I think there might have been a real issue if in this month we were allowed to vote for two.

ravells
07-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Heh, suspect the two horse race would have just read double the current score!

I'm really hoping there's a tie so we can give the award to both maps.

Karro
07-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Heh, suspect the two horse race would have just read double the current score!

I'm really hoping there's a tie so we can give the award to both maps.

Here, here.

Gandwarf
07-27-2009, 02:30 PM
There can be only one!

In case of a tie I will offer my services as referee. I can assure you I am impartial. I always wanted a shiny gold compass to add to my collection.

msa
07-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Tear's use of colors and ethereal styles really did it for me. I wanted to give some love to mmmmmpig, whose parchment and bold colors really captured the style that went best for this challenge, too. I liked Jykke's concept and execution a lot, but I felt like the style was a little realistic compared to the other two.

Great work on this challenge all around (as usual), though.

mmmmmpig
07-27-2009, 10:33 PM
Clearly there were 2 that stood out from the rest. I went with Tear's mainly because of the color scheme. It seemed very airy and ethereal. Kudos to all who entered this month though. It was nice to see a good smattering of entries after such a short time frame.

Thanks to those of you who voted for mine. I wish I had more time to work on it, but the vacation was amazing.

I hope to get to some more detailed C&C this week.

AslanC
07-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Something about Tear's map made me feel a hint of memory... a shadow of something from my childhood... and that took me away from my desk for a few seconds... well done sir... you got my vote.

mmmmmpig
07-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Here we are with C&C. Remember these comments are only to help and not to hurt. Again, I am critting and commenting from a place to make us all better. Some of these will seem very nit-picky, but that is because the devil is in the details.

Tear: you got my vote. This map is absolutely incredibly well done. I have 2 small quibbles about the map itself. One is purely aesthetic and the other is philosophical.
The aesthetic: I think there is not as much of a sense of floating as there could be. Maybe adding some more background haze under the floating land would do it, or some more obvious clouds beneath the land mass.
The philosophical: Using real world terrain and areas is a perfectly acceptable practice and I am not saying not to do this, but I think you could have made a bit more effort to obfuscate the landform that this is coming from. The fact that another member recognized the land form and offered a the picture that your map area was created from means that you did not, in my own personal opinion, modify the land form enough. Push, pull, stretch, add, and subtract. Especially if the contest is about being “enchanted.” I was momentarily brought back to the real world with the real world example.

All that being said, this map is phenomenal and quite deservedly got my vote.

joćo paulo: The concept behind this map is very strong. I think it is a form that could have been pushed a bit further (time permitting). I love that the cardinal directions were indicated by the four biomic landscapes. I feel the place where you could have pushed this further is in the rest of the figure.
There was no idea of even an abstracted place. The top of the image could have been indicative of the sky or air or the stars while the floor of the image could have represented land or grounding or something. This is such a great concept I want to see it pushed further. It could be very allegorical or ancient religion texty like the Egyptian Book of the Dead or something like that. Great Stuff!

Jykke: This one almost got my vote, just barely missed out, in fact. I have some small points that I want to mention.
Point 1: The concept is pretty awesome, especially if the squid below has a deep sea culture living on its body as well. It could be a cultural battle as well as a mega beast battle.
Point 2: I think the landforms need more variation. Make it a community on the turtle’s back with farms and houses and everything (granted it is easier said than done). I was looking forward to seeing some farmland and areas that were not forested. Point 3: the lighting is a bit dark. I am not sure (I am sure you mentioned it) what software you completed this within, but it is never a bad thing to tweak levels in an image manip program after the 3-D engine renders it. It may not be an accurate lighting scheme, but this is an illustration and often illustrations require some modifications to straight up physics.
Point 3: The insets that you added to the map don’t quite work. The one of the fort is great, but the one of the tower is not as useful. Maybe some extra data is required for the towers. Garrison numbers, a diagram, schematic, something else. It looks hastily pasted onto the image.
Point 4: Nemo needs an incredible wake.
Point 5: These are all very nit-picky issues, so take them with a grain of salt. This is a badass map.

Mmmmmpig: Finish your stuff, you hack.

Xyll: I love the beginnings of this. Here are some things I thought might be good elements to help finish this out.
-Settlements in the fire and ice realms.
-Towers and gates along the wall
-A transition landform for the wall to sit atop of
-Great concept, I hope you get a chance to finish it

Drahyden: It is like a funhouse/magical version of a hypercube. I like where you are going with this and I hope you are able to finish it. I really like the hex structure of the rooms. And the honeycomb look of the final map. You have some nice areas on that map to add illustrations of your rooms style and such. Please finish it.

Darken: For something rough and simple, I get amazing amounts of pleasure watching the little boat come into and out of the bay. I think this has the bones of something truly magical. I could it becoming something really fun given time.

Elfspeaker: The concept is a strong one. It is unfortunate that you didn’t get a chance to finish it up. Here are my hang-ups. If each isle is supposed to be a separate realm, I feel that there are a bit too many islands and that they are a bit too similar inn look and feel. I would suggest removing some of them and making the others larger and more varied.

Great entries everyone! To those who finished congrats, to those who didn’t good starts. Again, these are just my own personal observations and suggestions, so treat them as such.

On to next month.

Gamerprinter
07-28-2009, 01:48 PM
I have to really agree with Mmmmmpig regarding the discrepancies in Tear's map. The fact that the base map was not yours and someone else's work is a big "no no" in my opinion. Also the background treatment using what appears to be a very grainy and low res skyscape image, didn't work for me at all. Had these two issues not been as they are, I wouldn't have needed to flip a coin, giving Jykke my vote - your's would have been the obvious choice.

Torq, one of our CLs who hasn't been around for a few months, did an island in the sky map last year that was a superlative job. While it was more a top-down map, rather than isometric like yours, his map really shined in the efforts to show the ground below the floating island. In his map, he placed some cloud layers between the island and the ground, as well as blurring out the ground level to simulate a "depth of field" effect - as your vision would be focused on the island itself, rather than the distant ground far below.

Your map is certainly "enchanting" but the discrepancies were serious enough that it couldn't get an automatic vote. The gods of fate determined my vote for Jykke, instead.

GP

Gandwarf
07-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Still, Tear seems poised to win :)

Great writeup by the way mmmmmpig. You should be the commentator for all our challenges :D

mmmmmpig
07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Gandwarf: I would love to hear others comments and crits for all the entries as well. the only way to get better (other than practice) is to get feedback

Tear
07-28-2009, 03:27 PM
@mmmmmpig: Thanks for the feedback. All valid points. I'll keep them in mind for future projects.

Jykke
07-29-2009, 01:54 AM
I gave my vote to tear for good sportmanship. I would have liked to see a high resolution version of your map :)

Those who voted for my map, thanks for the support!

Gandwarf
07-29-2009, 05:22 AM
Hmmm... looks like the race is over.

Blamenck
07-29-2009, 05:54 PM
I voted for Jykke - it seemed more detialed, more vibrant and higher quality than any of the other entries.

The reason for this is becuase I wan't too keen on the font used in Tear's map and it seemd that it has been overclothified. Apart from that it is truly magical, but Jykke's tops it for the effort I think.

ravells
07-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Well, congrats Tear on what was a head to head before you found a new gear on the home straight! A well deserved medal coming your way. And a special mention to Jykke with his brilliant entry of which he should be rightly proud. Thank you also to all the contestants who took part...I'm just sorry this month was a short one for the challenge and you may not have had the time to finalise your entries.

Thank you everyone for voting (I hope you remembered to rep your choice...Tear and Jykke should be on at least a gazillion rep points each!). If you've forgotten to rep your choice, then do it now!

Stand by for next month's challenge which should be coming up fairly soon.

Redrobes
07-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Well done everyone esp Jykke and Tear. Rep heading in... duck !

mmmmmpig
07-30-2009, 05:16 PM
Congrats on the win Tear!

Tear
07-30-2009, 07:43 PM
The fact that the base map was not yours and someone else's work is a big "no no" in my opinion.

While I understand mmmmmpig's point that photography of real world locations should not be used without enough modification to create something unique, your comment stating that aerial photography taken from a plane is on the same level with someone else's mapping work confuses me.
On the other hand, I am new here, and I am grateful for any kind of advice.

I gave my vote to tear for good sportmanship. I would have liked to see a high resolution version of your map :)

I voted for you because I really respect the amount of work you put into this project, and because of the awesome result.
You can see a higher resolution of my latest WIP here (http://www.1d6.com/misc/rotss_wip.jpg).

Congrats on the win Tear!

Thanks. Considering all the blatant mistakes I made, I didn't think I would be able to win this one.
I'll keep your feedback in mind. Thanks for taking the time to write it down.

Steel General
07-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Congrats on your first challenge win Tear...

Karro
07-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Congrats to both Tear (on his win) and Jykke (on his very decent second-place showing). I already repped you both on the WIPs, and I'm not fast enough with my rep-stick to hit you again yet.