PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for forum avatar

Darken
07-27-2009, 12:47 AM
So, it's been about a year now and I should probably go ahead and make an avatar, but I'm drawing a blank on ideas. So, I could use some inspiration from anybody and everybody. No limits on genre or anything, just whatever you can think of.

Thanks!

Ascension
07-27-2009, 01:40 AM
Depends on what you want it to convey. Something personal, something hidden, something that you like, something funny...lots of ideas out there.

waldronate
07-27-2009, 02:35 AM
I recommend two soybeans, three kernels of corn, a grain of rice, and eighteen planaria arranged so as to suggest world peace. Or maybe a cutout of a section of a satellite photo of Earth's day-night terminator showing high-relief clouds to suggest darkening.

icosahedron
07-27-2009, 09:52 AM
As Ascension said, it depends what you want to convey. My first thought from your handle was an eclipse, but equally you could use thunderclouds or a Ringwraith, or...

...and it doesn't even have to be about your name.

I doubt if you'll get much of any use from us unless you give us a clue about your preferences - there are too many possibilities.

You're the best person to devise something you like. :)

Braindead Warrior
07-31-2009, 01:56 PM
I recommend two soybeans, three kernels of corn, a grain of rice, and eighteen planaria arranged so as to suggest world peace. Or maybe a cutout of a section of a satellite photo of Earth's day-night terminator showing high-relief clouds to suggest darkening.

That post is completely irrelevant. 0_o.... and besides are you a cereal designer? We all sure love cereal designers... as for the avi, a good old orc face is a sure solution for everyone :)

Midgardsormr
08-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Here, I made a picture of a ninja you can use:

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 02:00 AM
This was always one of my favourite avatars on a different forum.., but i got told not to use it because the forum mods kept messaging me to tell me there was a problem with my avatar...

NeonKnight
08-01-2009, 04:09 AM

I am quite sure that is a Picture of a Cow Eating Grass

Gandwarf
08-01-2009, 06:20 AM
In cases like this just use Google images and pick the first image you get back.
A search for "Darken" netted me this:

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l206/darkenperu/darken/darken_myspace.jpg

Your new avatar!

Midgardsormr
08-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I am quite sure that is a Picture of a Cow Eating Grass

The cow is a ninja. They're masters of disguise, don't you know?

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Remember: for every ninja you do not see, there are three more watching you - AND ONE OF THEM IS BEHIND YOU RIGHT NOW!

Map Vandal
08-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I think you should use this as your avatar:

Gandwarf
08-03-2009, 03:20 PM
That's that sissy Darken Rahl :D

Steel General
08-03-2009, 03:28 PM
This is close, though it's 'Darkness' not 'Darken' :D

Karro
08-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Speaking of... I see you have a shiny, glossy new av, Steel.

You know... I don't have one either. I keep meaning to take some time and GIMP up a rough version of what I think is my family arms (at least, the one I most commonly see associated with my name; I've seen a second but it seems to be much less common)... but never really had time.

Steel General
08-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Speaking of... I see you have a shiny, glossy new av, Steel.

Yeah I like to change up my avatar every once in awhile (usually holidays). But I thought Iron Man was a good choice, just played around with the hue, saturation, etc. a bit.

WidowMakers
08-03-2009, 09:06 PM
It is dark and I made an ambagram for you name.

sort of like my WM
http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/8693/wmminibwpd0.png

RobA
08-04-2009, 04:49 PM
It is dark and I made an ambagram for you name.

sort of like my WM

Nice!

Any tips on making ambigrams?

-Rob A>

WidowMakers
08-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Nice!

Any tips on making ambigrams?

-Rob A>Sure. I will try to make a little "mini" tutorial tomorrow. But to quickly explain, I just draw 1/2 the word, flip it, modify teh flipped shapes to look like the second 1/2 and then keep doing it till they look good.

There are a couple generators out there but they only do Old English and a script version. I will see if I can digup my old WM file and go through the process.

msa
08-04-2009, 11:48 PM
So, it's been about a year now and I should probably go ahead and make an avatar, but I'm drawing a blank on ideas. So, I could use some inspiration from anybody and everybody. No limits on genre or anything, just whatever you can think of.

A two-thumbed fist, blazing red and raised in the universal sign of revolution, clasping a peyote button.

ravells
08-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Sure. I will try to make a little "mini" tutorial tomorrow. But to quickly explain, I just draw 1/2 the word, flip it, modify teh flipped shapes to look like the second 1/2 and then keep doing it till they look good.

There are a couple generators out there but they only do Old English and a script version. I will see if I can digup my old WM file and go through the process.

I'd love to see a tutorial on this. Those ambigrams look really cool. I hadn't even realised there was a name for them.

WidowMakers
08-05-2009, 06:38 AM
I'd love to see a tutorial on this. Those ambigrams look really cool. I hadn't even realised there was a name for them.Here is basically what I did I just did teh first time I made one. But I did not follow a tutorial. But this covers all the things I went throught. It is really jsut a bunch of trial and error. And really fun.

http://www.ambigram.net/tutorial/

I also have several in my picture albums.

ravells
08-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Excellent tutorial, thanks! You really do need an artistic eye for this and I'm keen to give it a go. Would you recommend starting with pencil and paper and then moving onto a vector program to make the letter forms?

WidowMakers
08-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Excellent tutorial, thanks! You really do need an artistic eye for this and I'm keen to give it a go. Would you recommend starting with pencil and paper and then moving onto a vector program to make the letter forms?Paper and pencil is good to get an idea about if a word can work. But...I like to quickly move to Photoshop (or another raster program). That way you can quickly copy and rotate the letters.

I start on the left side of the word, get a 15 pixel brush (don't worry, the clean look comes later) and draw. Once I think my left side looks good, I copy the layer and rotate it 180 degrees. Then I see how these letters need tweaked to look better. Then I rotate that layer back and repeat (I save layers that I think are ok and do not want to mess up if I decide to go back).

After I have my word done, it is really rough. Then I saved the image and imported it into illustrator to really clean it up. I did Widow (by tracing the imported image) and then just copied and rotated it.

DONE! It took me about 3 hours of solid work (but much more rework and initial doodling to figure out what I was doing) to make it. I made the Diego names (in my albums) in about 45 minutes. And Darken here was about that as well.

ravells
08-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I loved the work in your gallery, thanks again for pointers! Ambigrams are truly a beautiful artform.

WidowMakers
08-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Here is my rough .psd file that shows my steps to get closer to teh final set. Then I dumped it into illustrator (also attached)

icosahedron
08-27-2009, 10:15 AM
Following this thread with interest (I've almost got an 'Icosahedron' ambigram figured out :) ) I looked around the web for examples and I found one that neatly solves a perennial problem with maps of buildings.

Whenever you have a stairway, unless you are a master with shadows (I'm not), there is a difficulty deciding which way the stair goes. Even if you put an arrow on it, you still don't know whether the arrow is supposed to point up or down.

But I found a simple ambigram I can use:

dn

'DN' for down, but looked at the other way up, it says 'UP'.

It won't help the Shadowmasters, of course, (and those guys are as ubiquitous as the River Police) but it may be useful for my fellow novices to add this simple text icon to their shadowless stairways.

Steel General
08-27-2009, 10:35 AM
That's a neat find...

Turgenev
08-27-2009, 06:41 PM
I thought that was an albino in a snowstorm. :lol: