PDA

View Full Version : New Dawn of the West (redesign)

Coyotemax
07-29-2009, 02:56 PM
Ok, as per request, and so we don't clutter up inappropriate areas of the forum, here's my response to the map creation request by Aslanc

I saw the request, and the funny part was that I'd already been looking at the hex map and considering working it into an antique map for fun and practice.

So without further ado, here are the efforts so far. I put a bit more work into this one than some of the previous ones - my quality control goes way up when it's for other people :)
Though to be honest, I think I spent more time playing around with effects and filters than anything else, trying to create exactly the right look.

Still a ways to go!

AslanC
07-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Okay how do you want the feedback and notes?

I can just start blasting them out, or work stage by stage.

It is up to you sir and your comfort levels for me :)

And again, I am simply blown away with how awesome this is.

I will be trying my own as well, but this project must see the end of the road IMHO :D

Coyotemax
07-29-2009, 03:08 PM
whatever works, is good by me, i'm pretty free form that way.

Toss in your thoughts as you get them and I'll see about working things in/taking things out.

AslanC
07-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Okey dokey :)

The first though I have is this... the southern continnt, Azusa, on my original had a massive bay (Slaver's Bay) and on this one it is just gone.

Azusa is actually one of the few places I created whole cloth and not inspired from an existing map :)

The second thing is the compass and mile counters are huge (and I would love the mile bar to be in leagues, that just seems to be the order of the time :) ). Can they be reduces a touch in size?

The third thing is the dedication plate. I can provide you with the campaign specific names and institutions that would fulfill those roles.

And I actually have to thank you, as your map made me create a new one to add to the world :)

I hope this doesn't come off as harsh or demanding, I just tend to get matter-of-fact when I type directions.

I remain humbled and blown away by your generosity and amazing artistic talent :)

Coyotemax
07-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Nope, not harsh or demanding at all. And I can easily work those changes.. Considering I was working with practically no direction up to this point, I was completely expecting a whole list of updates :) (yay for nondestructive editing!) I need to get lunch on th go and then i'll start working on the updates.

LamilLerran
07-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Looking very good already. I'm a bit confused about what one of the symbols represents (see attached detail). I'm guessing that's supposed to be some sort of wetland from where they're looked on the map, but I must admit that the symbol itself isn't really giving me that impression. This isn't a type of map I have much experience with, so I'm not sure if this is a good suggestion, but you might try a more stereotypical swamp symbol (like the one I attached, perhaps).

Coyotemax
07-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Totally my bad, I was getting impatient at that step :)
*adds another item on the To Do list*

Coyotemax
07-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Well, it looks like there's a major revamping of the coastline coming up.

So here's what the To Do list looks like now.
(italics is done)

re-add slaver’s bay
black out artifacts in border
resize compass
resize/position cartouche
resize scale (in progress)
change miles to leagues leagues (in progress)
redo swamp plants and colours
remove/lighten/recolour grey tone under mountains
recolour volcano and lava
move volcano to be more prominent
dedication/cartouche to be reworded

**waiting to see what the latest input will do to the map, heh**

AslanC
07-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Wow only three of those are mine... you sure do kick it up when you do this stuff :)

Okay here is your reworded cartouche. :)

Title is "The West" instead of "Dawn of the New West".

The King's name would be Wortigern Pendragon III

I would love to have a cira. dating of;

487 Common Reckoning
1496 Imperial Reckoning

With the assistance of the Acolytes of Kalin

obtained from the Imperial Galfas Society

In Game Note: Lucian Galfas was the greatest Verendi cartographer. He was the first man to map what is now called the West

Now how you want to make that all fit is up to you my good man :)

Coyotemax
07-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Ok, the new landmass is in, it went very smoothly (though I'm working at 3000x3000, i think the file you sent me was about half that, lol - still the resizing worked nicely for the landmass and rivers) oh, and the decorations didn't need any adjusting whatsoever, they look like they were placed specifically for this landmass.. we win!

I'm going to totally redo the mountains and foliage etc. The challenge with this is going to be conveying the terrain from your hex map somewhat accurately while not crowding things, and still leaving room for the text (hence the 3k size, but still..)

I was going to make the PSD available for you to putter with if you wanted, but then I realized the stripped down version (with all the spare layers etc deleted instead of just hiding like i usually do - i hate deleting things) is 126 megs *choke*

Looking at some of the other maps on this site, I imagine that's not unheard of, however this is a first for me :) (it doesn't seem that long ago that I had my first computer, heh.. and I remember at one point thinking wow! i have a 100 meg hard drive! how will I ever fill that up???)

Ok, I need to make some salsa so the flavour has a chance to settle and be ready for dinner, then it's back to work!

AslanC
07-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Swoon!

Wow she looks great!

3000x3000? Yikes that is huge :)

I see where there are some disconnected rivers, that was my bad on the file I sent you. They need to be connected ;)

I can't wait to see your take on the mountains and forests.

Oh and ones thing before you do it again, no cactus or cow skulls in Solani. Nothing lives there as it was all scored clear. Though when you make the lake of fire, can you put a small island in the middle? It is the location of the City of Brass.

So loving this map thus far :)

Coyotemax
07-29-2009, 10:58 PM
To Do:

dedication/cartouche reworded
resize dog head embellishments on the scale (smaller)
redo terrain and plant life
add text layers (cities, regions, features)
re-work the overlay effect layers to work better with the ocean gradient
get the art looking more consistent

Might be a bit early for this yest, but how clean are we keeping the map, or do we wear it down a bit more (ie does the king let it hang on the wall and admire it, or does it get taken along on military campaigns etc?)

One other question, we have a rather large list of nations (36, holycarp!), are we wanting to define each of the borders and edge them with colours, or leave it a bit nebulous? (border disputes, the map changes every week, why bother, heh)

AslanC
07-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Might be a bit early for this yest, but how clean are we keeping the map, or do we wear it down a bit more (ie does the king let it hang on the wall and admire it, or does it get taken along on military campaigns etc?)

So long as it is readable and looks good hanging on my gaming room wall at 36x36 inches ;)

In other words I trust you on this.

One other question, we have a rather large list of nations (36, holycarp!), are we wanting to define each of the borders and edge them with colours, or leave it a bit nebulous? (border disputes, the map changes every week, why bother, heh)

The latter. No clearly defined borders. In the West borders are defined by natural landmarks (rivers, mountains, hills, forests, etc...)

And with war coming a mere 15 years after this map was comissioned, things will change.

My campaign is a snapshot of 499cr (1509ir) and as such this map is already 13 years out of date, though fortunately nothing much has changed in that time. :)

As I said I am really loving it and looking forward to how it advances as we go.

Don't put names until I get you an updated list with the minor renames I made.

And again, thanks so much :)

Coyotemax
07-29-2009, 11:29 PM
Excellent. I was dreading having to section it off into that many pieces, and concerned about how it would work in with the other detail. (i was going to make you section it off if you did, hah!)

No worries about the namies yet, I'm planning on leaving that to last.

(salsa almost done, yay!)

AslanC
07-29-2009, 11:47 PM
i was going to make you section it off if you did, hah!

I would have done so with a smile sir :)

But the most important question is this...

How was the salsa?

Coyotemax
07-30-2009, 12:06 AM
It is happy.

Salsa Verde, just keep in mind that if you only have a blender, and not a food processor, you must start with the tomatillos, not the dry leafy stuff ;)

(and our dogs are wierd, they like eating the hot pepper cores!)

Ok, back to the map.

Steel General
07-30-2009, 08:27 AM
THis will be an interesting map to watch develop...looking forward to seeing it finished.

Coyotemax
07-30-2009, 09:19 PM
Ok, Here's the reworked terrain and plant life.
I haven't done the recolour layer to make the areas pop out yet (forest, desert etc) but I think it's coming along.

I think it's about as detailed as I'm comfortable with considering we have the text to add yet. Plus with the colour tinging that'll make thing stand out more so it should be good.

Yes I know the lava lake in the corner needs work, I just left it like that as a reminder, I just started on it :)

Dunno if I already said it, if so I'll say it again, the work you did on the coastline was awesome. I really like the addition of the coast in the top right, too.

Coyotemax
07-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Adjustments to the To Do list

dedication/cartouche reworded
resize dog head embellishments on the scale (smaller)
redo terrain and plant life
get the art looking more consistent
reworked coastline shading effects
rework the lake of fire layer
add text layers (cities, regions, features)
colour tint layer for terrain features and plant life
re-work the overlay effect layers to work better with the ocean gradient (in progress)

AslanC
07-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Well thank you sir :)

I had that upper righthand sea in a bunch of previous incarnations of the map and then lost it along the way some how. Silly moi

Now it back and serves a purpose :)

I am loving the minimalist feel compared to my over crowded hex map... this feels more like an artist's interpretation of the West.

Shall I start going over it and looking for things that need to be fixed or tweaked?

AslanC
07-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Oh and real fast, don't do the spherize thing, it doesn't work for me... if it isn't too much trouble to undo :)

Coyotemax
07-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Ok, I can remove that easy, it's on a layer by itself.

And yes, by all means suggest fixes and tweaks. Let me upload the latest variant, I have the geopgraphy colour tinted now, still putting off the lake of fire :)

(too bad about the lat/long lines, the sheer amount of effort I went through for that.. my comp kept telling me it was out of memory when I even tried loading the filter.. of course I was working with a 9000x9000 file.. I had to shut down **everything** but windows critical tasks, and ran memturbo to scrub every bit of memory it could find before it wouldn't complain at me, heh - but i kept the finished file in case i ever need to do something like that agan :D)

AslanC
07-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Okay now you are gonna make me feel guilty :(

But onwards and upwards. :)

Love the colour shading it is very tight.

I will make my dinner and then post my notes, there are only 10 or so ;)

Coyotemax
07-30-2009, 11:13 PM
I look forward to it, I've stopped puttering and tweaking for now, I got the lava as close as I can get it without headbutting the keyboard in frustration every time I look at it.

I'll just edit the previous post to upload the new copy, that's the only change, not worth an entire extra upload.

AslanC
07-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Okay. All full of food... just lit a smoke and got my bottle of Crystal Lite... let's do it! :D

Notes Image 1 (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/AslanC/Notes01.jpg)

So the only note here is the lack of mountian feeding that short river into the lake.

Nice and easy to start, let's conitnue.

Notes Image 2 (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/AslanC/Notes02.jpg)

Green - I am not grooving on the cross pollination of junlge and swamp. Can you remove that extra tree or two?

Blue - Mountains should tapper towards the sea in Thess, as it is representative of Ancient Greece. Can you add a couple?

Gold - Bennaccio will be too large, can you populate that area with some trees?

Notes Image 3 (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/AslanC/Notes03.jpg)

Green - I am thinking islands should have nothing on them at all. This repeats later with Zealand. Can you remove those trees?

Blue - That mountain is sitting a touch too close to the coastline. Can it be moved back a touch?

Notes Image 4 (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/AslanC/Notes04.jpg)

Green - The hex map is approximately 1500 miles from east to west. If we convert to leagues this map is about 3600 miles. Can that scale be adjusted? A league equals about 3 miles if I am not wrong.

Notes Image 5 (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/AslanC/Notes05.jpg)

Green - Island thingy mentioned earlier.

Blue - Those mountains should be larger as there is one pass between Pendria and Colwyn, which is why Colywn is important, holds back Vikings coming through via Blackfish Bay.

Gold - The Duchy of Shale is like the Scottish highlands, some small mountains around that trapped loch would be awesome sauce! :)

Notes Image 6 (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/AslanC/Notes06.jpg)

Green - Now you got me thinking if I should through another nation up there. I was gonna say add mountains, but now I think not. Gonna have to cook up a good name... drat! ;)

Notes Image 7 (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/AslanC/Notes07.jpg)

Green - This is Mithras Vale, there should be mountains coming down this side as well leading towards Two Moon Lake. Can you add?

Notes Image 8 (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/AslanC/Notes08.jpg)

Green - This is the Veldt, it is a mountain plateau plain. There need to be mountains on this side as well. Where the river flows out of the Veldt is a high waterfall and the forest below is the Mistwood.

Notes Image 9 (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/AslanC/Notes09.jpg)

Green - All these areas need more mountains. The Iron Coast is formidable, Nyrmedia is kept safe more or less from Solani and Ushak by the mountains along those borders. The ones to the south (The Red Mountains of Solani) should be large all to the coast.

Notes Image 10 (http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/AslanC/Notes10.jpg)

Green - There should be some swamp there according to the hex map. Can it be added?

Okay so I hope I didn't come off too picky or jerky. I have a matter-of-fact way and it can seem a bit off putting.

Certainly if there are reasons for certain things let me know.

As to the lava in the latest version; it looks great!

The volcano though needs to be blurred I think as it stands out too strongly compared the other mountains.

Okay you may proceed with the throwing of rotten fruit at me ;)

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 12:03 AM
No problem, nitpicky is ok, and everything you tossed is completely doable.

I'll let you know when the list is done.

AslanC
07-31-2009, 12:05 AM
Most cool of you sir :)

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 01:13 AM
Notes Image 1
lack of mountain feeding that short river into the lake.

Notes Image 2
jungle and swamp. remove extra tree or two
Mountains should tapper towards the sea in Thess
Bennaccio too large, populate that area with some trees

Notes Image 3
islands should have nothing on them at all - (yeah, I was thinking that myself)
mountain is sitting a touch too close to the coastline

Notes Image 4
Can that scale be adjusted? - (i was waiting for you to say something about that, heh)

Notes Image 5
Island thingy mentioned earlier.
mountains should be larger as there is one pass
some small mountains around that trapped loch - left a gap in there for you between 2 of the big ones

Notes Image 6
no apparent action required at this time

Notes Image 7
Mithras Vale, there should be mountains coming down this side

Notes Image 8
mountain plateau plain. mountains on this side as well.

Notes Image 9
All these areas need more mountains. The ones to the south should be large all to the coast.

Notes Image 10
swamp there according to the hex map. Can it be added? - (i kept looking at that area thinking something was missing...)

The volcano though needs to be blurred

Certainly if there are reasons for certain things let me know.
- (I was trying to keep areas from filling up too much with terrain in anticipation of adding text is all)

AslanC
07-31-2009, 01:19 AM
Looking super good my man! :D

Careful on the mountains bleeding over the coast lines and what not and you can thin the mounts abit around the loch, like else where on the map, the impression is all we need.

Wow... this just gets better and better.

Oh and did you darken it?

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 01:22 AM
I turned off the parchment overlay while I was working and forgot to turn it back on for the upload :)

I'll tone down those areas no prob.

AslanC
07-31-2009, 01:25 AM
No problems man... one last thing... the area down by lower middle left, the the coast breaks into those large islands... right beside the rive that flows down from left to right, there are no trees (Caralon/Boraquelle) Can you fill in that area too? It is all wilderness there abouts :)

I hope that made sense.

Oh and the volcano looks much much better :)

P.S. I am sure everyone following this must be happy they didn't volunteer for it, I am SOOO demanding ... ;)

Ascension
07-31-2009, 01:34 AM
I'm certainly happy :) but it's good for him...he's on "home confinement" on doctor's orders so it gives him something to do :)

AslanC
07-31-2009, 01:37 AM
I'm certainly happy :) but it's good for him...he's on "home confinement" on doctor's orders so it gives him something to do :)

So we have discussed in PMs... always happy to help the infirmed 8) ;)

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 01:38 AM
Ok, adjustments made and parchment added back in :)

I just re-uploaded over the last version since the changes are minimal again.

And yah, if I wasn't doing this, I'd probably be playing solitaire or something all day :P

AslanC
07-31-2009, 01:41 AM
Promise not to hate me?

Those new tress are on the wrong side of the river.

My bad totally for not being clearer. :(

And hey don't knock solitaire, it kept my departed mom happy for years on car trips ;)

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 01:45 AM
Ok I'm confused then, since there were already trees on the other side of that river.. did you want more trees on the left side than were already there, and the ones on the right removed??

AslanC
07-31-2009, 01:46 AM
This is what happens when I am up this late and been staring at a screen too long.

Those trees belong there, you are right, and I need some on the other side, joining the Coastwood.

So very sorry for the confusion my good man.

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 01:53 AM
Yes, I was confused allright. I was editing the trees at the bottom of the map (azusa?)

You're referring to the ones on the coast north of that, right? (d'oh)

AslanC
07-31-2009, 01:56 AM
Yeah Boraquelle... sorry about that again, I should have made an image for that one to show :(

Ah well, as in writing show, don't tell ;)

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 02:04 AM
Incoming.

And I fixed up the edits from the misinterpretation, I think it helped anyhow.

AslanC
07-31-2009, 02:06 AM
Wow!

Very nice! Very nice indeed.... so what's left to do now?

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 02:09 AM
If you're happy with the geography, I am :)

Time to fill in the text, and you said to wait till you get an updated listing :)

If you dont' have that done yet, I'm taking a break to float in the pool.

AslanC
07-31-2009, 02:12 AM
Wow so essentially I stand in the way of you and pool floating? Woof! That's a heavy responsibility ;)

I do have the list... but you know what? Let me take another gander at it before I give it to you.

Okay?

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 02:41 AM
Bring it on. Floating has been accomplised!

(actually it's neat, the doc wants me to float in the pool as much as I can, it's good for my lower back, heh)

AslanC
07-31-2009, 03:06 AM
Okay first the links to the material you will need.

This is the mark key document (http://sites.google.com/site/newdawnofthewest/MapMarkerKey.doc), updated from the previous verion.

This is the old hex map with markers (http://sites.google.com/site/newdawnofthewest/MainMapwMarkers.gif) updated for city and such locations.

And because the old hex map had no lakes, this is your last map with lake markers (http://sites.google.com/site/newdawnofthewest/lakemarkermap.gif) added.

In the document, under cities I have bolded the capitals and the important cities for trade, if you want to minimize the amount of cities on the map.

Lakes, again feel free to minimize the amount of names on the map.

Forests as well.

Since the map was made in Pendria, I have translated all the foriegn names into Pendria (read English and are in brackets after the original name).

Anything else? Let me know.

AslanC
07-31-2009, 03:08 AM
I missed one translation on a river, Del Imperiatrix is The Empress.

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 03:30 AM
Ok, so when I made the example cartouch on the first map, and picked out Pendria because it sounded fun, I actually nailed it? Or are you running with the inspiration? :P

Ok, so I'm putting all the names in English then, right? If there's a translation in brackets, I use the translated version?

AslanC
07-31-2009, 03:33 AM
Nope you nailed it. Bravo!

Pendria is a poor middleages England. The nation is bankrupt because King Mortigern Pendragon III was as mad as a hatter.

His young wife now rules since his death and she is struggling to make the kingdom strong again. Unfortunately the Baron of Elise smells blood and seeks to regain fealty from the Duchy of Argonne. Something the Duke of Argonne isn't that opposed to.

This will be the catalyst that triggers what eventually will become open war in the West.

My poor players ... heh heh heh :D

Yeah use the translations for the map :)

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 03:44 AM
You say the king is dead (LONG LIVE THE KING! - sorry, reflex, hahahah)
That's not going to affect the timing of the map having been made (it is dedicated to him after all) vs the year of his demise, is it?

And I hop you doublechecked the spellings in your key, since I'm simply copy/pasting, so any misspellings are yours :P

AslanC
07-31-2009, 03:49 AM
Wortigern died 4 years ago... 495cr. This map is from 8 years earlier... so I think we are safe :)

Projects such as this undertaking were common in his court and one of the reasons his nation has no money.

AslanC
07-31-2009, 03:50 AM
Oh and spellings are correct. :D

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 04:13 AM
And I hop you doublechecked the spellings in your key

Oh, sweet Irony...

On another note, is there a way to break apart text layers in photoshop?

For example, I paste all the nations (with line breaks) as a singly unit into photoshop, can I chop it into layers from there?

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 04:47 AM
10. Koshn’yevs (The Orgrewood)

That's intentional? (triplechecking, heh)

Which reminds me, there's a few forests and such that might sound good without "The" in front of them, or do i just keep "The" as is?

AslanC
07-31-2009, 04:50 AM
Doh! Ogre... not Orgre... Heh...

Okay you got me there.

Which ones without the are you thinking?

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 05:10 AM
All of the water features, actually (except for the rivers that don't end in "River")

AslanC
07-31-2009, 05:14 AM
Give it a go for then, I trust you and if I hate it, well I will just have to deal with it ;)

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 05:20 AM
Well, check out some actual atlas maps and such, and compare to other old maps, there's not many The's. That having been said, when you look at everything arranged and want them added, let me know and I'll put them in anyway :)

Btw, I found another questionable..
14. Lakk Yorlikal (The Blur Eye of Yor)

Blur? or Blue?

AslanC
07-31-2009, 05:23 AM
LOL! You are like some kind of typo hound! ;)

Blue... my bad again.

Okay go without the "thes" and we shall see how it turns out :)

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 05:41 AM
You wouldn't know how good I am at ferreting typos by some of my posts :P

My problem is I type almost as fast as I think, and don't always remember to go back and check to see how I spelled everything.

When it matters though, I'm scary good at spellchecking and grammar (half of the managers at work run their emails past me, hehe) - the trick is to read the words themselves and tune out the context and meanings.

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Ok, I noticed an issue in your map key - it goes as such:

71. Swordhold
72. Thessula
78. Tin Hill
79. Toulyon

I suspected it was just a matter of skipping numbers, unless you had 5 towns in between those two alpabetically.. but then I found a 73 on your hex map just west of Norshire - so there's at least one missing.. (donut know about the other 4 numbers yet, I'm still working on placing)

[edit]
Ok, there's a 73 on the map, Tin Hill is listed as 78 in the key which is not on the map, and 74 through 77 are in neither so i'm hazardiung a guess that 73 on the map will be Tin Hill :)

AslanC
07-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Wow let me take a look at that.

And good morning :)

AslanC
07-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Okay don't know how that got missed... but am fixing now sir :)

Stay tuned for the updated material :)

AslanC
07-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Okay fixed the numbers and the are now;

72. Thessula
73. Tin Hill
74. Toulyon
75. Trellholm
76. Trent
77. Tusca
78. Urlon
79. Valen
80. Vyrrs
81. Viscae
82. Yarness
83. Zeboras

And here's a link to a map with city markers only (http://sites.google.com/site/newdawnofthewest/MapwCityMarkersOnly.gif). Sorry for the confusion :(

And again, good eye, you won't believe how many people missed that... myself included obviously.

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Ok, I'll check over the cities and be sure everyone is where they're supposed to be.

I have another issue, with the map you gave me and the key you gave me, a number of oceanic features do not seem to line up.

At one point there's a bay listed out in the middle of one of the seas, there's a sea listed as being in the middle of a harbour, etc.
I'd post examples, but there's so many, it's pretty much the entire bottom half of the map..

AslanC
07-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Hmmm I must have screwed something up there, let me take a look and get back to you on it asap.

AslanC
07-31-2009, 07:00 PM
I saw where I made my mistake :)

And now is fixed with a new map of oseanic markers (http://sites.google.com/site/newdawnofthewest/MapwOseanicMarkers.gif) (get it?)

Here is the fixed list.

Bodies of Water (Oceanic)

1. Bashki Bay
2. The Bay of Cimtar
3. Blackfish Bay
4. Bloody Bay
5. Borelle Bay
6. The Channel of Molecay
7. The Dragonreach
8. The Gulf of Gamoray
9. The Sea of Attilas
10. The Sea of Eren
11. The Sea of Galfas
12. The Sea of Zorn
13. The Serovin Bay
14. Slaver’s Bay
15. The Solani Gulf
16. The Stellaso Sea
17. The Straits of Madagon
18. Sünd Silanhe (Silanhe Sound)
19. Tengle Bay
20. The Tsuni Sea
21. The White Sea

Sorry for the confusion. Everything was so much easier when they had names ;)

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 07:26 PM
Perfect, thank you, that'll take care of the water features.

Here's what I have so far for you, rivers lakes forests and swamps are labelled.

There's one major river just above Solani that has no counterpart on the hex map. Originally the area was just solid hills. Would you like anything done in there?

AslanC
07-31-2009, 07:32 PM
Simply astounding! Wow... I am blown away... Bravo sir!

That river should be the Ghedron river... my error... but I like where the Ghedron is now... let me think a second... call it the Ythar river... that works :)

Wow... just wow. :D

AslanC
07-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Correction! I mean Zthar... not Ythar... Zthar... whew!

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 07:59 PM
Oh, just on a personal note, I discovered something - compare this map side by side to one of western europe, from spain up to norway, and east to poland or so :P

All we're missing is Italy, heh

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 08:13 PM
Ok, here goes the long version, after reviewing..

I'm guessing 14 Slaver's Bay and 16 Stellaso Sea are switched in your list, they don't match - if we swap the numbers it makes more sense with the terminology (and i remember you mentioning the missing slaver's bay in regards to coastine mods, so I'm pretty sure I know where that is, and it's not in the middle of the sea, am i right? heh).

19 Tengle Bay seems to be a straight or a cape

2 Bay of Cimtar looks awful big to be a bay, more the size of a sea

18 Silanhe Sound, same issue, the marker is out in the middle of what looks like a sea.

There's a marker for 23 north of Zealand, with no corresponding key. Thee's also Key entry 10 which has no marker, Sea of Eren - same place different number?

Here's the map you provided me with, to help reduce confusion and make sure we're looking at the same version..

AslanC
07-31-2009, 09:26 PM
Remember Verendi? It was sort of Italy ;)

Though on the wrong side of Greece on this map ;)

AslanC
07-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Go back a page I reposted a link to a new map for oceans and a list with it

This is the link again :) (http://sites.google.com/site/newdawnofthewest/MapwOseanicMarkers.gif)

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 09:48 PM
I was pretty sure I doublechecked and redownloaded it before, dunno how things got messed.

Anyhow I have the terrain features listed, after I fix up the oceans I'll send a new update.

Oh, and I got the whirlpool added.

Do you know how hard it is to find any actual useable drawings of a whirlpool?? I had to go almost 40 pages to find anything even remotely useable.. I almost gave up and pasted in a dishwasher out of frustration :P

AslanC
07-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Trust me I know, finding that one I used took long enough and eventually involved some photomaniping irc.

Coyotemax
07-31-2009, 10:26 PM
As promised.

You may want to check over the mountain ranges, I had to take a few small liberties here and there, nothing serious though.

The only serious problem was putting the High King's Mountains on the top left island. I was originally going to put a hill or two on there for it, but it takes up the entire island for the text :)

All that's left is the towns, nations, territories, and interesting locations.

(the towns are going to take awhile, I still have to attach markers for each of them.. heh)

AslanC
07-31-2009, 10:31 PM
What liberties? I can't see any myself.

It looks super to me sir!

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 01:49 AM
For your perusal, pending any last minute changes.

AslanC
08-01-2009, 02:00 AM
Wow! That is amazing!

Take a bow. :)

Okay minor tweaks... Norshire is on the wrong side of the mountains. Aquilar is totally cut off from the shires, Pendria, Argonne, etc... execpt by water across the Sea of Attilas or the Bandit's Pass. Can we move Norshire to it's rightful place and maybe thicken up those mountains?

Swamp Dunum and the Stones of Mave's location I guess, since Dunum is supposed to sit on the southern tip of Zealund.

The shinning cliffs run north to south by Allston, not up where you have them.

I am an idiot of the highest order. Gildoras should be sitting on that island right off the Silverwood. My bad.

That's it at first glance. I will look harder now. :)

Again, blown the hell away!

Diamond
08-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Can I just say, that map is amazingly gorgeous. I am green with envy at your talent, verily.

:D

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 02:30 AM
Thank you :) But really, it's just from spending way too much time puttering in photoshopping when I should be sleeping :)

AslanC i've put in the requested changes, waiting to find out if there are more...

AslanC
08-01-2009, 02:33 AM
Only one.

Lowgate and Highgate are fortresses with walls at either end of the pass... can you add an extra mountin and make it less like the Gap of Rohan?

Everything else is just ducky!

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 02:38 AM
HAHAHAH
That was great.

Ok, check these.

AslanC
08-01-2009, 02:39 AM
Absolute perfection!

AslanC
08-01-2009, 02:43 AM
D'oh! Trent is the capital of the Freehold... it is too far south there.

Can you please move it between Proctor and the Goblin Woods?

AslanC
08-01-2009, 02:49 AM
Don't hate me...

Highguard needs to be at the top of that jut of land north of Loch Lothian.

Carnyx is too close to Dunich and needs to be on the east side of Bloodmoor.

Still looking... sorry man ... I am picky I know.

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 02:55 AM
That's fine, I'm just holding off any uploads till you tell me it's done :P

AslanC
08-01-2009, 02:58 AM
Glascone is on the wrong side of that river as it is the capital of Shale.

Drumhill needs to be a bit further north.

The trees of First Forest should come all the way south as they have grown over that area.

Move Caer Colwyn to the south side of that river to remove any confusion that it is in Colwyn and not Shale.

Yarness should be at the end of that peninsula and conversly Ig is right on the Gnoll Moors.

Name the islands in the North East the Winter Isles.

I need a name for that land mass right to the west of them. Any suggestions?

Moldvaya is between the Troll Tops and the Great Mountains and Mentzer is it's capital.

Apenhof should be on the shore of Middle Lake.

Lock the Mistwood in with more mountains, as it lays in the valley there.

Squueze are mark for the city of Castle Sumner on the White Wolf river pretty please.

Avergoine is further north on that river as it is in Pellar not Elise.

That's it... I stop there... sorry man, just political things for those changes, they define the world and it's politics :)

AslanC
08-01-2009, 03:00 AM
Ack one last thing... so important.

Swordhold... it needs to be further east and north of the Greywash. It is a massive fortress that seals the border south to Aquilar.

It is so very very important to the story of the game.

I seriously stop now.

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 03:11 AM
No worries, I'll get those done.

Incidentally, just to give you a clue how layer happy I am, I counted them while I was waiting for you to post..

46 terrain layers (with 20 for decorations and 2 for overhead adjustments).
38 towns
38 town markers
45 cities
45 city markers
35 locations and markers
33 mountains
22 forests
21 oceans
18 lakes
43 rivers
7 swamps
18 territories
36 nations

445 total layers. 399 being text layers :) No wonder my comp keeps slowing down.

(I make the city markers from a font, so it's easy to do a global replace on the text layers if I'm not happy with the markers.. saved me a day's work on another map, heh)

AslanC
08-01-2009, 03:13 AM
HOLY @#^$^&@%#^&@%#^!

That's a lotta Dimp!

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 04:33 AM
Ok i think it's done.

SOme of the changes you mentioned earlier got overlooked, or I put them into the wrong file.. (i had it broken into 2 files, one for land and one for names)
It's all merged in one file, and I think I caught all the changes this time.

I have the top layers turned off to enhance readability for working purposes, don't worry, it'll be there for the final..
(oh, and i lightened the woodcut layer, it was a bit hard to read some of the bays, plus this way it brings out the coastal outline layer a bit more)

AslanC
08-01-2009, 04:39 AM
Okay that's almost perfect... just a couple of quick fixes and we are done.

1] Ig needs to be on the coast, same vertical area, just right across the water from Yarness.

2] The name Moldvaya needs to be moved just above Mentzer.

3] You are the most awesome guy ever!

Oh and I assume the whirlpool will be back on the final version :)

I owe you big time man... three ponies at least ;)

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 04:47 AM
Booyah.

Awaiting final inspection and approval.

AslanC
08-01-2009, 04:52 AM
Just a couple of spelling corrections and a tweak.

1] I made an huge error, it is Ular's Steps, not Ulik's :(

2] Apolathean, not Apolathen.

3] Move Mave's Stone to that island just off the east coast of Zealand, add an iron cross please. Also can you add one for the Barrows of the Barbarian Kings?

4] Move Haven to the peninsula right by the B in Bloody Bay :)

Then that's it man!

AslanC
08-01-2009, 04:54 AM
Oh and an Iron Cross for Kharis Thule as well please :)

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 05:01 AM
Pretend I have no idea where 2] Apolathean, not Apolathen is on the map.. (or wether it's a river, town, etc.. heh)

Remember, you may have been working on this map for years, but for me it's only been a few days :P

AslanC
08-01-2009, 05:04 AM
Pretend I have no idea where 2] Apolathean, not Apolathen is on the map.. (or wether it's a river, town, etc.. heh)

Remember, you may have been working on this map for years, but for me it's only been a few days :P

LOL! You got me there :) I am bloody intimate with this place.

They are the islands that are part of Thess, near the Eye of Astara.

Oh and add a bigger mountain if you can between the Veldt and the Bloodwood, part of the Silverhorns.

And some pine trees up on the Crystal Coast, which could be renamed as the Crystal Woods. :)

Hate me yet? ;)

AslanC
08-01-2009, 05:05 AM
Oh and after that I have nothing more to change. Honest to goodness :)

No seriously... stop laughing... I am telling the truth ;)

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 05:05 AM
Better be, because the wife is home and getting impatient now :)

AslanC
08-01-2009, 05:06 AM
LOL!

I hear ya ... I hear ya.

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 05:23 AM
OIk, here's the final revision.

If you want any other changes you'll either have to wait for tomorrow, or I can send you the psd (170 megs, heh)

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 05:24 AM
erm yeah.

Here's the picture attachment, lol

AslanC
08-01-2009, 05:26 AM
That's it man!

Perfect and wonderful and amazing and holy crap! :)

I have never felt this world more alive than it is right now!

I am forever in your debt sir. :D

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 05:30 AM
*bow* Happy to have been of assistance.

And now, i must pay attention to my other half :)

Oh, if you want to post it in the finished maps, feel free to do the honours...

AslanC
08-01-2009, 05:32 AM
No sir, it is your honour completely, I look foward to seeing the feedback on it :)

Again, thank you.

Gandwarf
08-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Continued in http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?p=72786