PDA

View Full Version : Wheel of Time - Westlands

thir13n
07-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks to the amazing tutorials by both Ascension and Pasi Soini, which I am still working through by the way, I have made some progress towards the creation of something that to my knowledge has thus far not been seen for the Wheel of Time in a large scale.

Any feedback would of course be welcome.

Reference: http://www.wotmud.org/directory/maps/mainmap.jpg

Partial WIP: http://www.aberrationstudios.com/images/phase4-end.png

Gandwarf
07-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, that's a very good start! Have some reputation for posting a WIP.
The mountains are absoluty beautiful, forests look great and I love the overall colors.

Some criticism:
The lines along the coasts are too rough at the moment I think. And the lake needs some work so it blends in more with the land.

Might I suggest you uploading the image to the forum? Your map will get a thumbnail in your post and more people will probably click on it.

thir13n
07-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Adding attachment for the link shy :)

Gandwarf
07-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks. You can also edit your first post and put up the thumbnail there.
Still, this is great also, it's your thread ;)

Ascension
07-29-2009, 07:20 PM
That's a real nice regional map. I need to read thru that tut and maybe incorporate Pasis' mtns into my regional stuff, it looks better than I thought.

Gandwarf
07-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Yeah, it's a great blend of the two masters :)

thir13n
07-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Ahh, yes silly me, that was actually a step behind where I actually am atm.

This version actually added some additional texture to the water, a small stroke to the coast line and played with the shelf a bit more.

I totally agree that the lake doesn't quite blend with the land yet but I'm waiting on that until I settle the rivers as two of them feed into it.

Gandwarf
07-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Yeah, this is a lot better.
The lake is already blending in as well.

Real nice stuff... you combining the styles of Ascension and Pasis is probably going to spark a style hybrid :)

Gandwarf
07-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I have been a huge Wheel of Time fan by the way...
But I only just read the final novel will in fact be three more novels :) I guess I have been a bit out of touch.

thir13n
07-29-2009, 07:53 PM
Yah, and the author of them, Brandon Sanderson, is pretty good in his own right. I've read a few of his novels as well. I have my doubts as to how his style will really fit with the rest of the series, but he was a huge fan as well, so who knows, it could even end up better than the rest of the series.

Steel General
07-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Great Start! Looking forward to seeing this develop...

I have read the entire WoT series to date, but I do hope the last few books move along at a pace better than a 3 legged horse with arthritic knees.

Midgardsormr
07-30-2009, 02:03 AM
I made a vector map of Randland last year and had it printed poster-sized. http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3685

I'm looking forward to seeing how your raster version turns out. Looks good so far.