PDA

View Full Version : Fierick - WIP Hand-drawn

Alfar
07-30-2009, 04:33 PM
I figured I'd try my hand at a hand-drawn, what with my being without internet for a week (on vacation).

Here's a camera shot of the drawing before I started coloring it. I hope to get my scanner up and running sometime soon, will scan the colorized version.

Cropped and adjusted for contrast in Gimp, rest is whatever pencil I could snag from the kids ;)

Gandwarf
07-30-2009, 04:36 PM
That's looking pretty good! You draw some nice trees.
What's the blocks to the southwest supposed to represent?

Alfar
07-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks! Inspired by the Zombie Nirvana tutes. (The trees, I mean)

The blocks were supposed to be plateaued cliffs, I guess. My sister suggested it, and I figured I could try it out, it being a practice piece anyway. I guess it'd be something like this (http://www.flickr.com/photos/arne_sostack/3772373435/).

LamilLerran
07-30-2009, 06:34 PM
The plateaued cliffs would probably be more clear if you looked at them isometrically, and added circles/squares/whatever on top.

Looks great overall. I particularly like the way you let just a few hills peek from behind the mountains they surround.

AslanC
07-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Looks good so far.

Can't wait to see how it evolves :)

Karro
07-31-2009, 01:21 PM
That has a nice, classic handdrawn look to it. Good luck with further work on this map!

Alfar
07-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Here's the hand-colored version, scanned. I'm not sure the scanner is working at full power, I had a power supply that matches in volts, but not quite in ampere.

I had to adjust brightness/contrast a lot in gimp.

Gandwarf
07-31-2009, 05:33 PM
That's pretty oldskool! Nice.
Why did you decide to give the land a yellow color? Not saying I don't like it, but would have expected green :D

AslanC
07-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Nice stuff! The coloring is awesome :)

Would you mind if I tried to make this as a project?

Alfar
08-01-2009, 12:35 AM
@Gandwarf: Yellow, well, I figured I would color some brown on top of it so it'd become more dirt-ish, but the colors I used weren't very good for painting on top of eachother, so it ended up yellow. Not that I don't like it, mind. Just not what I had planned.

I guess in general this map grew from coincidence.

@AslanC: Project? You want to do stuff with my map? Sure!

AslanC
08-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Awesome sauce!

I might try two styles. My hex map and maybe a pseudo antique one too :)

Alfar
08-01-2009, 03:46 PM
I started an antique-ish version... with "hand coloring" using the tablet.

AslanC, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

AslanC
08-01-2009, 03:50 PM
I will get to work on it next week as my project for the start of August :)

Nice start on your btw!

Alfar
08-02-2009, 03:39 PM
More progress with the coloring.

May have to clean up stuff, or start over with a new map, using better (and more consistent) pencils. ;)

Hand drawn has advantages and disadvantages, it seems. Hard to neaten a symbol and still have it look like it's hand drawn. ;)

Karro
08-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Hey, I think it's looking pretty good, at this point.

Alfar
08-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Yeah well, the mountains are a bit on the smudgy side to my tastes, and because I had my pencil snatched away at some point (pesky kids and their dog!), I had to switch to a different pencil which was either shaper or not so sharp.

I do like it in lower resolution, but in 100% I don't think it's very pretty. Ah well.

Karro
08-03-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah well, the mountains are a bit on the smudgy side to my tastes, and because I had my pencil snatched away at some point (pesky kids and their dog!), I had to switch to a different pencil which was either shaper or not so sharp.

I do like it in lower resolution, but in 100% I don't think it's very pretty. Ah well.

The fuzzy lines on the mountain don't look so bad to me, mainly because it looks handdrawn.

As a possible solution, if you've got your original, you could trace over it in ink and rescan it (or, alternately, trace over it in GIMP on a new layer with the ink tool, though that would probably require a pen/tablet setup to be most effective).

Alfar
08-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Hey, I think it's looking pretty good, at this point.

Does that mean "Stop now, before you ruin it!" btw? :)

Karro
08-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Does that mean "Stop now, before you ruin it!" btw? :)

Not necessarily (you never know what looks better until you see it), but keep a copy of this version saved down, just in case! :)