PDA

View Full Version : Odd light

Jykke
07-31-2009, 02:23 PM
Well.. this wasn't supposed to be a map, and I'm not sure if it is one, buuut.. I decided to post it here anyway. I was trying different things out when creating a new forum avatar and this is what I got. Too bad it didn't work out as an avatar, so I thought I'll put it to good use and do a small encounter type map out of it. There's the original version without vegetation, and another one with some cherry blossom trees. Maybe I should just add some details etc.. so that it would be more mappy-like. :)

(As the version with the trees is still rendering, I'll just post the picture that's already finished)

Gandwarf
07-31-2009, 02:25 PM
It looks like a chasm with light pouring out of it?

Jykke
07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Something like that.. maybe ET is somewhere around? :D

Gandwarf
07-31-2009, 02:31 PM
Well, it certainly oozes atmosphere...

Karro
07-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Why does it fail as an avatar?

Redrobes
07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
A good technique for some lower plane goodness...

AslanC
07-31-2009, 02:45 PM
It sure is creepy... and the hell version works too! :)

Jykke
07-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Nice one Redrobes :) Was adjusting color balance enough, or did you have to do something else too?

Karro, the scaling faded too much of the details.. and the chasm almost dissappeared on the 80x80 px version. :(

sarandosil
07-31-2009, 02:50 PM
How'd you make it? It looks awesome :p

Karro
07-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Karro, the scaling faded too much of the details.. and the chasm almost dissappeared on the 80x80 px version. :(

Ahh. All i saw was "that looks pretty sweet" in my head, but I can see some of the sugary goodness might get washed off at the tiny size.

Jykke
07-31-2009, 03:00 PM
How'd you make it? It looks awesome :p

I did the terrain with geocontrol 2, then just loaded it to vue, added materials, light, atmosphere and hit the render button. Atleast that's the short version of the story :)

töff
07-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Well.. this wasn't supposed to be a map, and I'm not sure if it is one, buuut.. If you put some labels on it, it'd be a map.

Nomadic
07-31-2009, 04:59 PM
If you put some labels on it, it'd be a map.

Anything becomes a map with labels on it.

töff
07-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Anything becomes a map with labels on it.

"On that matter, there can be no argument!"

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/9/9d/Tarr.jpg/300px-Tarr.jpg

Jykke
08-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Then I'll just have to label the map when I have more time.. (I think I'll have to tweak it first, add some details and so on).

...This one doesn't belong to this thread, but it's a sneak peek for one my upcoming web projects. The labeling on this map is just for this weekend, and explains why I won't be doing any mapping for the next couple of days :P When I'm satisfied with the base map, I'll be using it to visualize all the fish catches from that lake. Maybe put some pin markers on the spots where fish has been caught.

Gandwarf
08-01-2009, 05:23 AM
So, you are going away for a couple of days? :D
Nice map by the way... you did it yourself I presume? It would be a great background for a city map.

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Nice! I actually thought that was a screen from google earth or something till i looked at the fullsize version :) It's the shadows, you can just make them out at thumbnail size..

Redrobes
08-01-2009, 09:32 AM
Nice one Redrobes :) Was adjusting color balance enough, or did you have to do something else too?Cheers, The main thing I did was swap the red and blue channels over then it was a quick bit of color curve to get nice saturation. Didn't do a great deal. Good luck with the fishing...

Jykke
08-04-2009, 03:39 PM
So, you are going away for a couple of days? :D
Nice map by the way... you did it yourself I presume? It would be a great background for a city map.

Yeah, I was away for the weekend. I did it myself, but it isn't ready yet. :)

The odd-light map can wait for some time, as the schedule of the fishing cabin map is pretty much tighter. I worked on the terrain texture and water + some other minor things.. only thing that really bugs me is the sand road that doesn't look like a sand road.. and the cliffs.. and the bottom of the lake.

Well, anyway :) Here's a fresh render of the base of the map. Maybe I should start a whole new thread for the fishing map.