PDA

View Full Version : Forum Etiquette Question

BeZurKur
08-01-2009, 02:13 PM
If someone posts a map but doesn't mention how he did it, is it okay to ask in the thread or can that be perceived as prying secrets?

Gandwarf
08-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Yes, you should definitely ask. Noone should be insulted by that.

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Most of the people here seem pretty friendly about questions, and a goodly number of them write tutorials to show how they accomplish their styles. I've asked questions and no one's smacked me on the nose with a rolled up newspaper for it.. (yet? heh)

Myself, I get asked how I did things, and I'm happy to answer.. I recieved a lot of help and constructive criticism when I first got here that really turned me into a better artist, so I'm happy giving back.

Ascension
08-01-2009, 02:50 PM
The dudes with gray names might not give up the goods too easily since they are the dudes who get paid to do this for a living and they might want to hold on to their trade secrets. Asking never hurts, though :) Some of us are crazy experimenters and often we can't even remember how we did something...we just go down into the secret lab and push buttons, turn dials, and run some lightning thru it.

Gandwarf
08-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Yeah, time might also be an issue for some people. Meaning they can't be bothered to write everything out.

You can always ask though!

töff
08-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Well, there's people who reverse-engineer candy bars. So I think you should be able to reverse-engineer map graphics, too.

Hey wait ... "gray names" ... ?

Ascension
08-01-2009, 03:35 PM
Speaking of reverse engineering candy, I ran across this yesterday...more of a candy breeding program:

Nomadic
08-01-2009, 03:46 PM
The dudes with gray names might not give up the goods too easily since they are the dudes who get paid to do this for a living and they might want to hold on to their trade secrets.

Pssh, I would be honored if someone wanted to learn a technique I use.

BeZurKur
08-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Awesome. Thanks all. :D

töff
08-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Yeh but ... "gray names" ... ?

töff
08-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Wait a minute. My name looks gray here.

Ascension
08-01-2009, 04:45 PM
You're one of the helpful ones, bro. I'm a horrid typer so typing out p r o f e s s i o n a l s takes me about 2 minutes :)

töff
08-01-2009, 05:02 PM
If I didn't know better, it almost sounds as if you're trying to say that the usernames are color-coded or something.

The understanding of it is just on ... the tip of ... my ... *brainfail*

Steel General
08-02-2009, 10:39 AM
@Ascension - That candy breeding thing is hilarious :)

waldronate
08-06-2009, 03:09 AM
Wait a minute. My name looks gray here.

I see your confusion. That color is "silver" not "gray". Gray would be the color of tarnished lead. Silver would be the color of freshly-polished, um, silver. Black would be the color of silver after you eat eggs with it and your mother goes through several wooden spoons to impress upon your hide the importance of not eating eggs off the nice silverware. Or so I've been told.