PDA

View Full Version : New Dawn of the West Satellite View

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Ok, I couldn't help it, I've been working with this map so much I'm really getting comfortable with it. So when I started on this mountain tutorial by pasis (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4405), I was casting around for a theme to work towards while going through the tutorial. Considering I'd finished NDOTW less than an hour before, i suppose it was logical to go back to it :) Plus the hardest part (getting all the names in there, and placing them where they belong) has been done, I can get back to the fun part - creating :P

So, after a quick discussion with AslanC, he's graciously given me permission to use his world for yet another map style project :)

Here's the "thumbnail" sketch, to test out the tutorial and feasibility of doing an entire region. I chose to skip the cities and roads for this one, at this scale you wouldn't be able to make them out clearly. I've already started on the 3000x3000 version, but I'm taking my time with it this go.

Anyway, here goes nothing!

AslanC
08-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Gracious? HA! Greedily would be a better term ;)

Awesome start man! Loving it :)

töff
08-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Hmm. Lake Of Fire. Interesting.

Does magic keep it molten? Or do you have some complex geological phenomenon for it. I figure if it's on the map, it's a long-term terrain feature.

edit: I didn't mean the magic part to sound sarcastic. I meant, is this map for a fantasy world wherein magic is a factor.

Redrobes
08-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Veeery nice - welcome to +2 repping power ;)

CartoGeo
08-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Hmm. Lake Of Fire. Interesting.

Does magic keep it molten? Or do you have some complex geological phenomenon for it. I figure if it's on the map, it's a long-term terrain feature.

edit: I didn't mean the magic part to sound sarcastic. I meant, is this map for a fantasy world wherein magic is a factor.

It has the City of Brass located on that volcanic landscape which from my knowledge is JUST a D&D place, although other game systems might have it... unless this is a world for a novel or something... I imagine the D&D correct term would be that it is somewhere in the Elemental Chaos and its molten landscape crisscrossed with rivers of molten material and such, due to the specific local it is in, in the Elemental Chaos - home of the Effrets and fire elementals - but since I see a large body of water, I am under a falase impression about which City of Brass this is.

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Well, to summarize what I can remember from the summary at AslanC sent me, basically the ruler of the city in that area got so uppity and powerful he was able to demand god-hood-powere from the gods themselves and they had to give it to him, but they didn't like having to do it. they couldn't take out their frustrations on him directly so they rained fire on his lands for 40 days (hence the scorching) and the only thing left was his city and immediate acolytes under his direct protection. It didn't say specifically what kept the lake molten, but I suspect it has to do with one of the lines about centuries of seething rage and hatred building up and waiting to be let loose ;)

CartoGeo
08-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Well, to summarize what I can remember from the summary at AslanC sent me, basically the ruler of the city in that area got so uppity and powerful he was able to demand god-hood-powere from the gods themselves and they had to give it to him, but they didn't like having to do it. they couldn't take out their frustrations on him directly so they rained fire on his lands for 40 days (hence the scorching) and the only thing left was his city and immediate acolytes under his direct protection. It didn't say specifically what kept the lake molten, but I suspect it has to do with one of the lines about centuries of seething rage and hatred building up and waiting to be let loose ;)

Thanks Coyotemax for answering me... after looking at other postings related to the World Map you did I understood it better and knew I was way off base... thanks for posting anyway in-spite of my confusion.

Coyotemax
08-01-2009, 08:40 PM
No worries. I know AslanC is off at his gaming session right now, or he would have likely answered you (and will no doubt correct me, heh - but i'm sure i'm about 80% correct).

The second pic was just to showcase/test the volcano effects, I didn't feel like uploading a whole new 2meg map just for one corner :)

But I did get valuable feedback, and look forward to seeig it on the big map.

RIght now, I jsut got back from floating int he pool, and now the wife is making me go for dinner, so I shall resume my duties in a few hours :)

AslanC
08-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Not bad Coyotemax, very very close in fact.

Rather than post my answer here, instead I will provide a link to a document called A Brief History of the West (http://sites.google.com/site/newdawnofthewest/ABriefHistoryoftheWest.doc).

It is in word format, please download it and read it if you like. It should explain most things :)

And yeah that map is teh sexay!

Coyotemax
08-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Not bad Coyotemax, very very close in fact.
(See, I really do pay attention! heh)

Ok, I think I'm done the terrain. I placed the major mountains and hills based off the last map we did (overlayed at 25% opacity so it was easy to follow, heh). I thin went and tweaked the mountains and forests, adding random bits here and there for looks, tiny forests placed all over (not big enough to name, but tress will grow pretty much anywhere). And then had fun with randomizing the ground layers while still keeping a general feel to each region. And of course the rivers, UGH. I ended up coming with a partial solution by using selections from the river layer to cut some of the river valleys, the rest of it was editing by hand at small scale :)

I would say 80 to 90% of the land has been touched up at small scale. Next, the text layers!!

AslanC
08-03-2009, 03:24 AM
Wow that's looking really really good!

You are a machine!

Coyotemax
08-03-2009, 03:28 AM
If I was a machine I wouldn't pass out from hunger or lack of sleep at least once per 48 hour period...

Sleep is for the weak! I'll sleep when I'm dead, I have better things to do than miss out on 1/3 of my life!! :)

(and ugh, I forgot to fix the water..)

Coyotemax
08-03-2009, 05:36 AM
Text layer added, a few things adjusted due to the difference spacings in fonts, and a few small style changes. Pretty much the same as the old map in terms of terrain, now to tweak it :)

And I know about the border, i'm not happy with it right now, much work will be involved to make it look good.

Water is better, but not finalized, I'm considering have some deep sea terrain faintly visible off the coast..

Karro
08-03-2009, 12:34 PM
By and large, I like this: it looks great overall.

A few points of criticism:

In the corners of the borders in the SE, there's a nice-fancy looking corner device. In all the other corners, this device is covered-up and cut-off and it doesn't look so great in those instances. Either keep all four corner devices on top, or get rid of this border design entirely.

The smoke from the volcano appears to be photoshopped on from an actual aerial photo of smoke (i.e. it gives the impression of not being original art). If it is, in fact, original art, my apologies, but the way it spreads over the border on the right definitely makes it look cut-out from another photo elsewhere. Maybe try whatever technique Pasis used on his recent volcanic island map (if that's duplicable).

Anyway, other than those two issues, this map looks pretty dang great and rep-worthy.

Coyotemax
08-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I wasn't too concerned about the borders when posting this one, I have a flattened out version of the terrain that included the border, and after having done the text I was starting to work on the water layer. I didn't feel like going through the work of erasing all the corners to let the border show through, or to copy everything back into the primary working file as in the final version the borders will be on top of everything (and different from what shows in here anyhow).

Thanks for the comments on the volcano smoke, it is indeed copied from another pic at this point in time. I figured it would make an excellent place holder as it is very close to the final shape, direction, shading and overall effect I will be after.

Karro
08-03-2009, 05:36 PM
I wasn't too concerned about the borders when posting this one, I have a flattened out version of the terrain that included the border, and after having done the text I was starting to work on the water layer. I didn't feel like going through the work of erasing all the corners to let the border show through, or to copy everything back into the primary working file as in the final version the borders will be on top of everything (and different from what shows in here anyhow).

Thanks for the comments on the volcano smoke, it is indeed copied from another pic at this point in time. I figured it would make an excellent place holder as it is very close to the final shape, direction, shading and overall effect I will be after.

Cool. Carry on, then.

Coyotemax
08-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Still not finihsed with the water layer, I'm going to wait until i get past my photoshop issues before I work on it much more.

The ground texture is mostly done, peeding a few placement adjustments proposed by AslanC.

Text layer has had some minor adjustments, and the border is done. Any major changes (place names reverting to original language, wording changes, additional markers) after this will wait until I have a completely stable version of PS that has the features I require (in negotiations to trade in my cs4 for cs3 right now - i need to keep my layers, multiple layer selections and warped text paths!)

So to tide us all over till then, woot.

AslanC
08-04-2009, 12:37 AM
My jaw and the floor are having a meeting right now! WOW!

Um... the Ravenwood looks weird as heck from the air ;) Maybe it should just look like a dark green forest me thinks, since it isn't really a scarred place, just full of monsters and whatnot.

The Bloodwood could survive half that size.

And Ushak should be browner ;)

Everything else seems okay... I love! L-O-V-E what you did with the Iron Coast and the Bone Steppes! Nice job and those tree convered mountains in Caralon? Pure gold!

Any chance we could get some glacial action at the top of the world?

And is that a continental shelf? Neat.

Ascension
08-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Spectacular work dude. I love the forest pattern/filter/whatever you did and the cracked desert is way cool. Er hot, bah, you know.

Coyotemax
08-04-2009, 02:38 AM
Aslan: added to my working notes.

It's the start of a continental shelf, yes, I'm going to work in some of the ideas from my R'lyeh experiment, I think. Plus make the seas look deeper.

Going by the previous maps, I figured the ravenwood was kind of a dead forest area, so I kind of went with that idea. I can add some more greenish tinge to it, no prob :)

I'd say right about now I'm walking a path between styles, mixing and matching between stuff I've been picking out of the tutorials :) The forest texture is a mix of the one straight out of the pasis tutorial and a few other ground cover textures, with a fair amount of layerwork overtop to get some of the areas a different feel.
The desert wasteland is from a dried mud texture, then I played with that till I was happy, I was originally going to tone downt he crack effect (holycrap, you can see those fissures from orbit??) and then i figured that would actually add to the atmosphere.. imagine an entire desert that was made up of the grand canyon and epic scale fissures.. - kind of fits with the way the place has been built up in my mind :)

It's taking time, but I'm starting to develop an individual style for these :)

I've probably spent more work on the border than it needs (do we really need a border afterall?) but knotwork has been my specialty for almost 20 years and it's nice to be working with it again :) Kind of like meeting up with an old friend and going for coffee, heh.

AslanC
08-04-2009, 02:46 AM
I will say this... the Solani Wastes has been hands down the number one thing everyone I have shown this to has commented on. It is a hit of epic proportions!

In fact it has made me reconsider what that area is like. Now I see a maze of canyons and crevasses filled with things that would eat you dead!

Thanks for that :)

Gandwarf
08-04-2009, 06:13 AM
Awesome map... AslanC is getting the royal treatment :)

Karro
08-04-2009, 11:33 AM
Very nice. I think it looks much better with all the corners added back in. Basically, this is gorgeous.

Coyotemax
08-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Thank you!

I'm having a lot of fun making it (which to me, is as important if not moreso thant he final product, heh)

Really though, it's the positive and helpful comments that are doing a lot of the work :) This thing wouldn't be nearly so nice without the tutorials developed on this site and the comments and criticisms from the members that drive the attention to detail :)

Coyotemax
08-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Holycrap.

I hadn't really thought about the scale before other than "yeah, these are the measurements to get it to read correctly based on the scale you gave me" etc.

That volcano is SCARY huge. 150 mile wide cone, with a 25 mile wide caldera. that's freaking insane. And looking at the apparent height.. Well, it clearly appears to be the tallest object on the map. Using real world examples, Everest is about 5.5 miles tall, I'd place this in that class of mountain easily. I was looking at supervolcanos on wikipedia too, out of curiosity.. scary stuff :) Though really, this volcano is obviously very different. The closest one I could find as a real world example would be Lake Toba, which has a caldera about 60 miles long and 20 miles wide - but it wasn't what you typically think of as a volcano, since it didn't really go high, just spewed stuff into the atmosphere and ended up being a lake when all was said and done. Still, using examples to base off, this one forming would have made a major alteration to the global climate, doing major damage with extinctions being commonplace :) Your 40 day rain of fire likely would have had a global impact as well, depending on how realistic you want to get with your campaign world :)

(interesting idea, setting things right after a global catastrophe..)

yeah, I've been thinking too much today. Working on the city map tutorial, and getting detailed with the history of the town got me to thinking about The West, and some of the things that would be going on in the history. I'll go back to work now :P

AslanC
08-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Awesome map... AslanC is getting the royal treatment :)

Too true... I almost feel guilty... almost ;)

No in all seriousness I am honoured and blown away by how amazing and generous CM is being.

Cheers!

AslanC
08-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Holycrap.... (edited for brevity) ... That volcano is SCARY huge. 150 mile wide cone, with a 25 mile wide caldera. that's freaking insane. And looking at the apparent height.. Well, it clearly appears to be the tallest object on the map. Using real world examples, Everest is about 5.5 miles tall, I'd place this in that class of mountain easily.

Well that's cool. :) The Dragonspines are supposed to be on the level of the Himilayas btw :)

Your 40 day rain of fire likely would have had a global impact as well, depending on how realistic you want to get with your campaign world :)

I don't want it too realistic, remember this is a world where men with long bears wiggle their fingers and mumble some words and fire shoots out! ;)

(interesting idea, setting things right after a global catastrophe..)

That is to be honest. Maybe I will time travel my players to that time for an adventure or two.

yeah, I've been thinking too much today. Working on the city map tutorial, and getting detailed with the history of the town got me to thinking about The West, and some of the things that would be going on in the history. I'll go back to work now :P

LOL!

Sometimes you have to just turn the computer off and soak in the pool for a few hours ;)

Not that I have a pool... so hot shower it is! :D

Coyotemax
08-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Oh, I've been doing that. Work for 60 mins, float for 30 :P

zenram
08-04-2009, 02:29 PM
I would love to be able of doing so beautiful maps XD

Coyotemax
08-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Just a matter of practice :)

For the benefit of AslanC, here's the lastest view, with glaciers and updated placenames.

AslanC
08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Very very very nice sir!

Looking excellent :)

AslanC
08-05-2009, 02:13 PM
Oh and I should mention the Bone Steppes are looking amazing!

Coyotemax
08-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Ok, I reuploaded the map in the last post, the changes were small enough I didn't think it deserved it's own post.

AslanC
08-05-2009, 03:04 PM
It just get's better and better :)

Karro
08-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Ok, I reuploaded the map in the last post, the changes were small enough I didn't think it deserved it's own post.

Minor point: your new compass covers over part of the label for "zealund".

Coyotemax
08-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Yup, caught that as I was reviewing for final revisions, thanks.

Ok, pending last second adjustments from AslanC I think it's done. I spent some actual time on the volcano area, and we decided to leave off the smoke for the final version. i also redid the ocean so it has some depth. I think we're done.

Steel General
08-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Very, very nice!

AslanC
08-05-2009, 07:49 PM
I just realized something... where's the Eye of Astara gone? The big vortex? ;)

Coyotemax
08-05-2009, 08:06 PM
kjsdhukdhsgklsdahgkljsgf

You're right. I'll add it in and reupload. I'll send you a separate file so you can just copy the layer across for your copy.

AslanC
08-05-2009, 08:07 PM
LOL! No worries!

Coyotemax
08-05-2009, 08:24 PM
done and done.

i think this deserves a dip in the pool. Like i need an excuse.

Scorpius
08-06-2009, 02:49 PM
This is really fantastic stuff!

Skaryn
08-07-2009, 11:30 AM
That is just simply amazing :) I love the font size distinction, do you follow any type of pattern with that? I think it is a good example of typography. Also, are the corner devices custom, or is there a place to get specialized ones like that?

Coyotemax
08-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I used 2 different fonts on this one, Cataneo for the water features and mountains, and .. I forget the other off the top of my head. I used different sizes for different features, yes. Primary towns are a larger font size than the smaller towns, most of the Interesting Locales, forests, swamps etc used the same size throughout, just different colours to help differentiate them. But the land features got mixed and matched a bit to get the type to flow along the features.

The artistic embellishments are my own custom work, though there's a fair number of celtic clipart sources out there. There's a font that's good for this sort of thing too, I think it's called Celtic Borders.

AslanC
08-07-2009, 12:18 PM
A note on the fonts; I found them to be just perfect and wonderful all around.

That said I tweaked... I am a chronic tweaker... but I learned a lot from this map and the choices you made.

A lot!