PDA

View Full Version : [Region 1][Map 17][Island 1] Gatini Island

Redrobes
08-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I have been looking at the CWBP map lately filling in some of the maps we have all been making and have seen a few holes so I thought Id plug one. Theres a very small island set out in the middle of the ocean in Tile 17 so I dug out the height map and got these little ones.

This first one is Gatini Island. It lies about 150 miles off of the Phoenix Hold to the East in what is yet an unnamed sea - anyone care to name it ?

Theres some even smaller ones too so ill probably use the same script to generate them.

These islands are not really habitable to any social degree because they are so small. There is not enough food to keep a large society. However they might make an excellent vacation / study spot for someone with magical capability and can teleport or otherwise reach this remote part of the map. The island is probably about 10 miles across so could have a few shipwrecked souls living out their existence on them.

Ascension
08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I could use a place like this...to live on :)

Steel General
08-03-2009, 06:50 AM
I could use a place like this...to live on :)

It'd be hell on pizza delivery guys though :)

@RedRobes - You ID'd the islands, why not go ahead and name the sea?

Redrobes
08-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Well potentially its a very big bit of sea. It could be the Sea of Ansium tho but I think we should have a better name. I'll think on it but if anyone wants to suggest...

su_liam
08-04-2009, 02:50 AM
I'm partial to the Sea of Cheese! ;)
The Gulf of Bad Puns?
Bay of Lost Ships?

Alfar
08-04-2009, 03:36 AM
The name Ansium gives me a Latin (Roman) vibe.

Ansic Ocean?
Ansine Ocean?
Mare Ansii?

From what little I have read on the CWBP, Ansium is the entire region surrounding the sea? In that case, maybe a contraction of intra (inside) and ansium (or ansic, or ansine) to make it Mare Intransium, Intransic Ocean, or Intransine Ocean?

Gandwarf
08-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Looks like I found my next holiday destination :D
Nice map!

Redrobes
08-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks guys. For Steel we could call it Domino's Nightmare and moving along the crust to the Sea of Cheese does sound excellent and most tempting but I already live close enough to Cheddar. I like the Ansine Ocean but I think its a bit too... bold for our small patch. Shall we call it the Gulf of Ansine in the same way that the Gulf of Mexico is attached to the Atlantic but in a kind of enclosed cirque of bits of land and islands.

Cheap two week return flights to Gatini only 699gps 99cps.

Alfar
08-04-2009, 11:35 PM
Ah. So it's smaller than I thought.

I think of Ansine as being the adjective form of Ansium, so I think it should be either The Ansine Gulf or The Gulf of Ansium - like I would call The Gulf of Mexico: The Mexican Gulf.

Maybe The Ansian Gulf?

waldronate
08-04-2009, 11:54 PM
The Gulf of Bad Puns?

That would read "Punishment Gulf" or "Sea of Punishment" on most maps.

Also, how a body of water is named is based largely on the cartographer's culture and communication with other mapping cultures. The same features are very likely to have different names on different maps (see Chinese vs. early European maps).

su_liam
08-05-2009, 12:45 AM
The name Ansium gives me a Latin (Roman) vibe.

Mare Intransium, Intransic Ocean, or Intransine Ocean?

The Intransigent Sea?

su_liam
08-05-2009, 12:47 AM
In a map of an imaginary Spanish-language land I had the capital city of Alcantarilla que Apesto situated on the Rio de los Alcantarillas.

These are the kinds of names I like.

Albrechtw4
08-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I named the bight on the north side of the large gulf the "Bay of Orvaelos" in my Map 18. Of course that could just be a regional name...

Redrobes
08-22-2009, 05:36 PM
I was messing about again trying a new trees texture and I also darkened the sea cos someone said it was a bit light and I think I agree with that. So here is a close up in case anyone needs a bit of generic tropical beach for an adventure.

Steel General
08-22-2009, 05:55 PM
I like the tree texture Double-R, any chance of you posting it up as a tileable pattern?

Redrobes
08-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Sure. Its still not a perfect tree tex tho. That elusive texture...

Steel General
08-22-2009, 06:01 PM
That's OK, the way I usually do my trees it doesn't need to be perfect...thanks!

Ascension
08-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Ooo, snagged. That looks great.