PDA

View Full Version : Wow...

Wyldabeast
08-03-2009, 08:25 PM
Hello all,

I just found this forum, and I have to say its great! I've been in love with sketching maps for years now. Literally since the day I first looked at the all maps in my fathers old fantasy novel collection I've been at the very least doodling a map here or there in my off time, usually for what ever game world I'm working on. I'm not exactly the most computer savvy person on the planet, so it never really dawned on me to look around for sites like this one.

Until the other day when a rather artistic friend of mine was showing me a little of what he was working on with some program he called GIMP...

As usual, his assortment of fantasy art was great, but the first thing that hit me was how great the program would be for mapping! A bit of free time later, a quick google moment and here I am!

Now to start reading all these tutorials!

Ascension
08-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the guild. Obviously the Tutorials section is the place to learn and the Finished Maps section is the place to get inspiration. The Works In Progress threads are more about technique and theory and show you what others are currently working on and how they solve their problems. Poke around and have fun. :)

WidowMakers
08-03-2009, 08:39 PM
Welcome aboard. I am new here myself and there is a TON of stuff to read and mess with. The tutorial section is great. Plus there is a wide variety depending on the software you choose to use.

Plus everyone is very friendly and helpful. This place is great.

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/8693/wmminibwpd0.png

Diamond
08-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Welcome from another noob! This place IS great, no doubt about it. Just the tutorials alone are worth their weight in gold. Waitaminute... they don't weigh anything... ah, you know what I mean. :D

Ascension
08-03-2009, 10:30 PM
I just did some checking...the weight of standard paper is .16 of an ounce. The current price of gold is $957.70 per ounce. So they really are worth their weight in gold :) in this case $153.23 per page or 220 euros. How cool is that?

Diamond
08-03-2009, 11:11 PM
I can get behind that. :D

Sigurd
08-03-2009, 11:31 PM
Welcome.

Its a nice place. Wipe your shoes and make a map ! :)

AslanC
08-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Welcome to the Guild! :)

Wyldabeast
08-04-2009, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the kind welcome everyone!

Welcome to the Guild! :)

Dude, its cool that you show up here! I'm a fan of what I've seen in your NDotW campaign setting! In fact, seeing your map was very inspirational.

AslanC
08-04-2009, 01:52 AM
Dude, its cool that you show up here! I'm a fan of what I've seen in your NDotW campaign setting! In fact, seeing your map was very inspirational.

Thanks. Might I ask where I have seen you? Or more to the point, where you saw my stuff?

Have you seen the new maps that Coyotemax has been doing? They simply rock!

Coyotemax
08-04-2009, 02:16 AM
Welcome to the guild, it really is as cool a place as everyone is saying. And the turials, well, they are so well written that if you follow them properly, it will be hard not to make a good map :)

(just don't go through the trapdoor in the kitchen.. scary stuff down there..)

NeonKnight
08-04-2009, 03:11 AM
Welcome to the Guild!

Steel General
08-04-2009, 06:25 AM
Welcome Aboard!

If you are new to using GIMP, I urge you to check out RobA's tutorial on creating a regional map. If nothing else it will get you used to commonly used techniques, etc.

Happy Mapping! :)

Wyldabeast
08-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'm reading through the tutorials right now!

And as for where I've seen your stuff, AslanC, over on the Goblinoid Games forum. I'll admit I haven't joined that forum yet (though I will soon), but found my way over there from the Mythmere forums. I've been digging all the legacy gaming stuff available as of late. Seeing that I wasn't born when it all started, its fun stuff to experience for the first time!

AslanC
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Cool :)

What are you waiting for? Join the forums man :)

Wyldabeast
08-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Cool :)

What are you waiting for? Join the forums man :)

Very well, I'm off to join the GG forum!