PDA

View Full Version : A map named 'hmmm'

Flaterectomy
08-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi folks! I've been away for a bit while feeling uninspired to do any artwork (does anyone else ever get this? It can last months in my case :( ), but today I managed to at least try to play with something, so I figured I'd post it. ;)

It's called Hmmm, because it's suitable. :D

This has just been tonight's effort, hence the somewhat sloppy mountains (which were made using somewhat inaccurate memories of Pasis' method) and some other bits and pieces that need work, but I figured I need to be productive and not get stuck on details too much for now. :D

As always, any feedback is welcome.

töff
08-04-2009, 04:04 PM
I like it! Good rivers, good textures, very well done. Looks kinda like Sulawesi (Celebes).

It needs more "map" features though.

So many pieces I see here are basically birdseye images. They're nice art, but not maps.

You have some cities marked, so technically this is a map ... but ... make it more of a map.

Steel General
08-04-2009, 04:18 PM
This looks nice so far, looking forward to seeing you 'take it the whole way' :)

AslanC
08-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Nice job! I must say even though I don't use them myself, I have a soft spot for pangeas or large island continents :)

msa
08-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I really like the way you labeled your oceans (not rivers, like I said when I repped you). Great work, can't wait to see more!

Flaterectomy
08-05-2009, 04:23 PM
töff: Your're right, I tend to get so focused on the esthetics of the geography that I, in the end, feel like I am ruining it with labels and border markings. In the version below I've removed the cities (I really didn't like them much) but added some labels for geographic locations, and I'll be adding more map elements along the way. Thanks for the tip!

I also altered the coastline stroke (which is really an outer glow and an inner glow, but you catch my drift I'm sure) and played around with a compass rose.

Of course, more to follow. :D

Steel General
08-05-2009, 04:26 PM
For me the compass rose is a bit over-sized, but that's personal preference. :)

Flaterectomy
08-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Resized the compass rose a little, and added towns and their names. I'll try my hand at some major sealanes and roads soon.

AslanC
08-06-2009, 03:51 PM
Looking very good sir :)

Flaterectomy
08-07-2009, 03:40 PM
As promised, I included sea lanes and roads and added a scale in miles to boot. :D

AslanC
08-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Wow! Colour me impressed! I love the sealanes... what a great idea :)

Steel General
08-07-2009, 05:07 PM
Looks very nice...just wish it were bigger/higher rez. :)

Gandwarf
08-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Limburrow... is that a reference to Limburg?

Like the map so far, but the size is a bit of a shame. Is this the original size or are you working on a bigger version?
The compass looks great by the way!

Flaterectomy
08-08-2009, 04:10 AM
Yeah, this is the original size. Like I said in my original post, I just wanted to make something. I didn't necessarily think things through beforehand. ;)

I had a friend help me coming up with names, and she suggested "Limburgh, as in Edinburgh," which I decided to change to Limburrow because it was so close to Limburg already. :D

DethinBlack
08-09-2009, 05:18 AM
I really like what you have done with this map. Its fun, easily legible, and with the new additions that you have made with names, and sea/land routes, it really becomes a very usable peice of artwork.

AslanC
08-09-2009, 12:56 PM
I would love to get a tutorial on sea lanes (and roads) since I have a devil of a time doing them :(

Nice nice work :)

töff
08-09-2009, 02:16 PM
That compass rose is way too awesome looking.

Flaterectomy
08-09-2009, 06:32 PM
AslanC: I put together a tutorial explaining how I made the sea lanes, intending to make it a PDF or at least a DOC file, but things wouldn't work the way I wanted them to, so I just made it a web tutorial instead. Hope you find it useful!

http://flaterectomy.penguihost.com/sea_lane_tutorial/

töff: I'm very sorry. :( Thanks! :D

AslanC
08-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Fantastic! Thank you so very very much!

I would rep you but I already did recently :(

altasilvapuer
08-09-2009, 06:51 PM
I've also found that in doing sea-lanes and roads in my map, it's not even always necessary to use paths for the routes. In some cases in my map, I found it was actually more trouble than it was worth, surprisingly.

A steady hand and liberal use of the undo button and/or an eraser can be sufficient with practice, even on a mouse.

Great tutorial, though! Repped!

-asp

töff
08-09-2009, 06:54 PM
... not even always necessary to use paths ... steady hand and liberal use of the undo button ...

Agreed, if I may add the wish that Photoshop would automatically update the stroke when the path is changed.

Now, if you do your painting in Photoshop, and your pathing in Illustrator ... problem solved.

Flaterectomy
08-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Requiring a steady hand is my main problem right there. ;)

This is the first time I actually tried this method of making sea lanes, I'd never even tried to figure out how the pen tool works until this past week when I got frustrated with trying to make them by hand.

From my limited experience though, adding another anchor point halfway if the path isn't looking how you want it to seems to do the trick for me.

craggles
08-13-2009, 02:02 PM
The Map was beautiful in your first post and at the end, it's looking quite excellent! Well done.

I love the sea texture you've used and the overall colouring is spot on! I have a feeling my campaign maps may share some of the swatches. ;)

The only thing I'm not keen on is the mountain range (but that's just looking for holes).

DMT
08-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Wow, very nice work.. A lot of practice to make such a design..

DMT

Flaterectomy
08-15-2009, 02:02 AM
craggles: Thanks! The mountains were done a bit quickly and could use some more work, but I have to move to mapping something else. ;)
The sea texture is based on the one from pasis' "Rising up the mountains in Photoshop" tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=53498&postcount=32).

DMT: Thankyoo. :)

Davros01
08-15-2009, 08:46 AM
Nice looking map. I really like the textures.