PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Lodge

Jykke
08-05-2009, 11:39 AM
I posted an earlier version of this map on another thread this week, and I thought it deserves a one of it's own. So here's a thread for this one. I call it simply "Fishing Lodge". It's a map from/for a real location, and I'm planning to use this map as a base for a website, so I (and others using the lodge) can flag the positions (etc..) where/when they got fish.

About the technical aspects of the map:

I don't know if the water bothers anyone else, but it could be a bit more realistic I think. Suggestions etc are always welcome.

The forest might be too dense?

Software used: Vue, Photoshop
Time used: ~1 week of building and rebuilding, and finetuning..

msa
08-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I. LOVE. IT.

You're friends are a lucky bunch of anglers to have you keeping track of this. It'll probably work best for bass and catfish, since trout tend to move around too much depending on the time of year and weather. Better off trolling for those delicious little boogers.

Gandwarf
08-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Beautiful map Jykke... the trees and water look stunning.
Would love to see you do a map of a small fantasy village like this. Or a big city :D

Coyotemax
08-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Amazing!
At first glance it looks like it's a real satellite photo.

The only detail that's standing out to me is on the road in the lower left, it looks like some of the smaller trees are growing on the road itself. The only reason i noticed that was because I was amazed at how neat the roads look, heh.

Everything else is perfect to my eyes :) Nicely done!

Steel General
08-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Very, very nice...

Jykke
08-06-2009, 12:26 AM
Amazing!
At first glance it looks like it's a real satellite photo.

The only detail that's standing out to me is on the road in the lower left, it looks like some of the smaller trees are growing on the road itself. The only reason i noticed that was because I was amazed at how neat the roads look, heh.

Everything else is perfect to my eyes :) Nicely done!

Yeah, there is some issues with the forest distribution map, I have to sort that out for sure. Thanks for pointing out the issue! :)

Gandwarf, I just might.. I just might.. one day.

msa, he sad thing is that there isn't really that many species on the lake.. :/ I did a paper version of the map earlier, but it didn't really get used that much. I hope this one will..

Steel General, Thanks :)

Jykke
08-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I did give a short preview of the map today to some people of our fishing group and the feedback was quite good :) They clearly knew the place straightaway from the map and liked the idea I had for the use of the map. For the final version I'll probably redo the lake height-map and the forest distribution map. And ofcourse will set the rendering options to maxium and crank the resolution to higher, even if it takes over 24 hours to render (with 2.8Ghz 3xcore processor.... ouch). I'll probably post the results later on the upcoming week. If there is more bugs you guys spot out, don't be shy, just post a message and let me know.

guyanonymous
08-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm loving the way it looks - I can't wait to see future versions.

msa
08-08-2009, 03:58 PM
msa, he sad thing is that there isn't really that many species on the lake.. :/ I did a paper version of the map earlier, but it didn't really get used that much. I hope this one will.

What do y'all catch? I mean... I'm not much of a fisherman, I just like to get drunk on the water and look at trees. Usually trout and bass are stocked fish, although catfish are everywhere. Does the lake get stocked?

Diamond
08-08-2009, 11:33 PM
That is astounding. I love the way the water looks, especially the water lillies/pond scum/moss or whatever floating on it.

Jykke
08-10-2009, 03:44 PM
What do y'all catch? I mean... I'm not much of a fisherman, I just like to get drunk on the water and look at trees. Usually trout and bass are stocked fish, although catfish are everywhere. Does the lake get stocked?

The lake doesn't get stocked and there isn't many predatory species around, mainly northern pike and perch. :D But its still fun to fish there.

msa
08-10-2009, 04:17 PM
The lake doesn't get stocked and there isn't many predatory species around, mainly northern pike and perch. :D But its still fun to fish there.

Well pike are supposed to be a huge amount of fun to fish for. I've done most of my fishing is stocked lakes in the south for the same 'ole same 'ole. Your lake sounds like more fun.

Jykke
08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Worked on the underlying terrain + water. I don't like the sand road I did on the map earlier, so I'll probably redo that. And because the terrain was edited to some extent, I have to do all the distribution maps all over again (or just edit the old ones to fit the new terrain). I also added some aerial perspective effect to the image, but I don't know if it makes the map look better or not.. I don't like the forests as they are on the previous version of the map, so they need to be tweaked also. Well, I'll probably work on it more on the weekend.

Edit: Added a small render from the same map

Jykke
08-12-2009, 04:43 PM
Well pike are supposed to be a huge amount of fun to fish for. I've done most of my fishing is stocked lakes in the south for the same 'ole same 'ole. Your lake sounds like more fun.

Yeah pike are fun to fish.. especially with surface lures. Looks cool when they sometimes almost jump out of the water when striking on the bait.

Jykke
08-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Worked on the map AGAIN. I think the trees look a bit better now than before, but the distribution map is a bit off, as the forest overlaps with some roads.. I also played around with gain, saturation, etc.. the light area on the image is actually some clouds getting in the way of the camera, might have to tune that also. I turned off the water vegetation because.. well, just because :D. The dots on the map are demonstrating the way I am planning to mark the locations where fish have been caught.

Looks like it might work or ?

oh, and sorry for the low-res version :D

Coyotemax
08-18-2009, 07:23 PM
I like the idea of the clouds, but as they are I find them a touch distracting. Not sure if I have any helpful advice on how to adjust them though, haven't tried working with cloud layers yet.

I miss the weeds! :)

The only other thing is the trees on the road but you already know that -- but I would leave them over the dirt road. It not only looks cool, I know a lot of dirt roads that are covered by canopy :)

Steel General
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
There are some fantastic realistic cloud tutorials on the web. I've used them before with good success.