PDA

View Full Version : New Dawn of the West (Terrain View)

Coyotemax
08-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Following on the heels of the New Dawn of the West (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6531), we now have a semi-photorealistic satellite's eye view (but with text labels iuncluded).

A few small redesigns have taken place to accomodate the terrain changes, other than that it follows faithfully to the original.

My rational behind any differences is that the antique style map will contain certain embellishments and leave out features that the scribe doing it would have considered not relevant to a stylized map, and some features may have been exagerrated in size following personal imterpretations on how important said features actually are (hand drawn items will always be somewhat biased, even if unintentional) ;)

So, here goes nothing!

AslanC
08-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Wow ... it is sort of sad that this journey has come to an end... but on the other hand...

LOOK AT THAT #$%&^$^%$%$ GORGEOUS MAP!!!!!!

Ahem... my apologies. Nice job sir. Very good. :D

Jykke
08-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Have some rep for it. Looking very good :)

Karro
08-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Between the two, you have two very beautiful (and very differently styled) maps, and you are well-deserving of the loads of rep I'm sure you'll get for it.

Awesome accomplishments.

(p.s. can't rep you atm, because I must have hit you too recently.)

Coyotemax
08-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Dont' forget the original hex map that inspired this project :)

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6458

Thank you very much for the nice comments! As always, the REAL fun was in the process, in some ways it's sad this particular project is over, but it's been opening the gates for more works to come :)

AslanC
08-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Oops... I had taken it down, let me put it back up :)

And thanks for the remembrance :)

Gandwarf
08-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Love this map, obviously...
I seem to remember you wanted to add smoke to the final version. You decided against it I guess?

Coyotemax
08-06-2009, 07:21 PM
It looked neat, was rather funky, but it just wasn't working out. The one version I tossed up without the smoke seemed to be a hit with AslanC so we decided against it. That having been decided, I spent that time I'd allocated for the smoke into improving on the lake of fire :P

cereth
08-08-2009, 06:38 PM
Fantastic Map! So many nice things and little touches that makes the map gorgeous and truly unique.

Congratulations on a wonderful map!

torstan
08-08-2009, 08:36 PM
That's an amazing map. Well done on a stunning creation.

Ben
12-12-2009, 03:41 AM
Your forests are some of the best I have seen! Awesome map!

Coyotemax
12-12-2009, 06:14 AM
Thanks!

Actually looking back on this, in some ways I prefer the style I used in this one. *fond memories*

Vorhees
12-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Thats a Fantastic map indeed i love it

bblackmoor
12-17-2009, 10:58 AM
That's really nice. I like how the labels are different colors and at different angles.

Tom_Cardin
12-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Love the textures you used and the coastline shapes a lot.

I have a problem with the rivers though, they appear to bulge outwards like veins on someones arms. They have a bit of a bevel to their edges. I could certainly see them being a bit more blended into the landscape, not quite so starkly visible with smoother edges and if anything a concave look to shores along the rivers rather than the convex treatment of the rivers themselves.

AslanC
12-18-2009, 12:53 PM
Wow talk about raised from the dead ;)

So you in someways prefer the style of this one? Which ways?

Coyotemax
12-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah, these rivers are from before I really settled into the style and method, that's the one thing I'm not happy with on this map. I've gotten much better at doing them since I got the tablet :)

As to what I liked about this style, I'm not sure I can put it into words. The mountains seemed rougher, the forests seem more foresty, stuff like that. The texturework isn't as defined as my newer work, but at the same time, it's still got a very nice feel to it. Next time I try to do a map in this style, I'll see if I can capture this feel with my newer techniques :)

Coyotemax
01-02-2010, 02:41 PM
There appears to be some interest in unlabeled versions of this map, so I'm tossing up one with no labels or scale marker, that way you can load it into whatever image editor you like and add your own to suit your needs :)

Enjoy!

Mathayus
07-20-2012, 03:26 PM
I absolutely love this map! The artwork is amazing! I would love to see more quality maps like this one.