PDA

View Full Version : July/Aug Lite Entry - Belly of the Beast

Plastic_Jack
08-05-2009, 09:19 PM
May be getting on board a little late, but hopefully in the next few days I'll be able to put a bit of work into this and come out with something functional.

May be stretching the theme a little, from fairytale to parable, but I've always loved the story of Jonah and the Whale, since I was a little kid, in all it's various iterations.

So, fiddling around with a map of the insides of a ship-swallowing leviathan. What do you think?

Shipwrecks are just outlines at this point, and need a good bit more work. Pretty happy with the spongy flesh beaches though.

töff
08-05-2009, 09:21 PM
LOL, I like it. Ship might be a little large, though. Think WAY bigger beast.

(Are we planning an Islets Of Langerhans joke ...?)

ravells
08-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Love the idea!

Steel General
08-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Neat idea, looking forward to seeing it finished.

Coyotemax
08-05-2009, 10:46 PM
This is bloody brilliant!

and re the islets of langerhans (ok, that's funny), i did a dungeon back in highschool that I called the Crypts of Lieberkühn - Uh oh, now i'm thinking again.. Way to go Jack, you source of inspiration, you :P

Still, this is a GREAT idea!

Plastic_Jack
08-06-2009, 12:38 AM
A night's tinkering yields this...

Definitely great advice from Toff, adds a much better sense of scale with those ships a good bit smaller.

Got distracted fiddling with 1 pixel ropes, nets, and rigging that aren't even visible, the miniature painter in me, I suppose.

Background needs some work still, as well.

Jykke
08-06-2009, 12:54 AM
The name of your map put a smile on my face.. But I can't see Steven Seagal anywhere. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0357474/ ) :D

Nice map btw! Though I did notice some overscaled textured ( clear pixellation ). You could get a higher resolution texture to replace it. Is there a texture missing from the ground also (plain gray area)? How did you do that effect on the water, just being curious. It looks pretty cool :) Good luck with the map. And just to make this one perfect, maybe you should consider actually putting Mr. Seagal somewhere on the map.

Coyotemax
08-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Very cool. I love the way this is developing, and Jykke is right, that is one of the coolest water effects I've seen!

Plastic_Jack
08-06-2009, 01:08 AM
@Jykke

Heh, yeah - I suppose so. Though, Seagal needs no maps. He just picks a direction and starts punching 'til he sees daylight. I could just carve a straight line out of the belly and off the edge of the map and label it 'Steven's Pass'.

Yeah, the textures on the background are all wonky. Hope to address that soonish. Not sure I'm seeing the area with the missing texture you're talking about though, unless it's part of the messy slap-dash background.

Plastic_Jack
08-06-2009, 01:12 AM
Very cool. I love the way this is developing, and Jykke is right, that is one of the coolest water effects I've seen!

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with how the water effect came out.
A background gradient, then a few hand (or mouse, as the case may be) drawn 'ripples' in descending brush size with ascending brightness, up to a 1 px highlight of pure white, then slap the whole works with a Distort->Glass filter.

Coyotemax
08-06-2009, 02:05 AM
Thanks for sharing! Definitely going to give that a try one one of the maps, maybe even after I'm done the citybuilding tutorial, add it to the river :)

Jykke
08-06-2009, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the tip about the water effect! The area I'm talking about is actually the ground inside the cave. I'm not sure if there is a texture on it or not. But you should definately use a detailed one there, to make the map really stand out. Btw, Steven's pass sounds pretty cool to me :D:D

Steel General
08-06-2009, 07:23 AM
*begin minor threadjack*

Steven Seagal - master of what I call "Slap-Fu", Actually a pretty good guitar player and singer though...

*end minor threadjack*

NeonKnight
08-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Interesting map!

Gandwarf
08-06-2009, 06:52 PM
You succeeded very well with the water! Beautiful. The rest of the map is interesting as well. Have some rep.

Steven Seagal - master of what I call "Slap-Fu"

I heard Steven sometimes lurks on this forum. He's ****ed and is coming over to kick your ass.

Steel General
08-06-2009, 10:28 PM
I heard Steven sometimes lurks on this forum. He's ****ed and is coming over to kick your ass.

I'm not worried, Chuck Norris lives next door. :D

Plastic_Jack
08-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Oh sweet lord. Don't invoke the name of Norris. THAT is threadjacking.:D

Another hour of futzing with the map.
### Latest WIP ###

Dropped in a few higher resolution textures to alleviate the choppy floors, added some more floating debris and rippling, creepy tentacle-like cilia in the upper intestine, and began toying with border ideas. I like the idea of the border being enormous teeth, like cracked mountains of chiseled bone opening up around it. Just not sure if my budding Photoshop knowledge is completely up to executing it the way I want.

Was wondering if a mod would be so kind as to change my thread title, adding the July/Aug Lite Entry appellation. Just want to fit in with all the cool kids.

Coyotemax
08-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Just want to fit in with all the cool kids.

say what?? you ARE one of the cool kids.

This map, as cool as it is, is developing into something great.
I'm not sure wether to be simply amazed, or amazed and disturbed :P Nice texturework, it's really starting to bring out the feeling of innards!

Steel General
08-07-2009, 07:43 AM
Was wondering if a mod would be so kind as to change my thread title, adding the July/Aug Lite Entry appellation. Just want to fit in with all the cool kids.

Should be all set...

Plastic_Jack
08-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Very much appreciated, SG.

And thanks to everyone for the kind words on the map. Having a bit of trouble deciding on a labeling method that will stand out against the image. Any suggestions?

Gandwarf
08-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Dark text with a glow/stroke?
Or white text with a dark glow/stroke :D

Redrobes
08-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Cool map, it looks great. But I don't get an overriding feeling that its placed inside the whale. And I don't have any ideas about how to make it more so. Its been a topic that's come up several times for a challenge to make a map inside a big creature but that's the basic problem is that its had to make it look like its inside.

Well in any case, it looks great and is going to do well in voting for sure.

Ascension
08-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Need more slime and mucus. Of course I've never drawn slime or mucus so I wouldn't know how to go about making it look good :)

RobA
08-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Cool map, it looks great. But I don't get an overriding feeling that its placed inside the whale. And I don't have any ideas about how to make it more so. Its been a topic that's come up several times for a challenge to make a map inside a big creature but that's the basic problem is that its had to make it look like its inside.

Isometric cutaway?

-Rob A>

Gandwarf
08-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Classic image :D

Jykke
08-07-2009, 02:57 PM
RobA, is that Steven punching his way out ?

Plastic_Jack
08-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Here's the latest iteration with a bit of labeling and overall color adjustments, etc. This will most likely be the entry, unless I get a lightening strike of inspiration in the next few days.

###Latest WIP###

Short of RobA's genius isometric cutaway idea, I can't think of much of anything at this point either that would help reinforce the location. All I can think of would be to do some kind of larger scale image with an inset of some kind. Or... could go a completely other direction with it - stop shooting for pseudo-realism with all the textures and effects and make up something that looks like it theoretically could've been drawn on a filthy scrap of sail canvas with a broken pencil stub by a man with a LOT of time on his hands.

I'm pretty happy with how this map developed so far. And again, thanks to all for the kind words, critique, suggestions, and inspiration.
The DM in me looks at this map and wants to start populating it with sightless albino ship rats and thirty-foot flatworms in the intestines. Clustered ramshackle huts on the spongy beaches where survivors huddle around smoky campfires of damp wood. Men hunting the rats with broken oars and harpoons, dragging nets through the upper stomach for the rare live fish or sunken barrel of fresh water or wine.
Could be a fun setting to use at some point in the future. :)

Coyotemax
08-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Ok, thats bloody brilliant!!

And I love the names too. The GM in me so wants to punish.. err i mean.. run some players through this. it's great!

Steel General
08-08-2009, 09:42 AM
Neat stuff here, about the only thing I think it may need is some softening of the shadows and transitions between 'terrain types'. They seem a little hard-edged.

ravells
08-09-2009, 07:39 PM
They're both really nice...not sure which version I like more though!

Plastic_Jack
08-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Heh, neither do I, honestly. I guess I'll stick with the full color entry - if for no other reason than because I learned quite a bit during it's creation - thanks in no small part to the suggestions, advice, tutorials, etc I got from the CG. Thanks yet again to all for the encouragement.

Granted a little more time I'd address the sharp texture transitions SG mentioned, I find them a little grating as well, but... deadline approached a little faster than I anticipated, and I need to get to work on my campaign maps that I've neglected a bit with this fun little diversion.

Pretty cool to go back and look at this thread and see how the map developed. I look forward to other challenges in the future, and best of luck to all in the voting.