PDA

View Full Version : My World - Arillian [WIP]

Skaryn
08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Hello All,

I am building the lore for my fantasy universe of Arillian. Part of that is the geographical aspects, of which I have begun to map things out. The maps I make will be used my an interactive map viewer I will be making for my world. You will be able to start at the world map and then drill down, and each map will have nice hover windows with information.

I have a world map, which has only one continent flushed out (Krava). I took inspiration from the Eberron Campaign Manual , inside the cover. It is just the land masses, bodies of water, and rivers.

The continental map is of Krava. It has some political areas on it, that will be described outside the map itself. The Corica Map is #1 on the continental map up close. Kromgor is #14 on the continental map up close.

I originally submitted it for comments and review here:

CC3 Show and Tell (http://forum.profantasy.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1116&page=1#Item_37)

and got a lot of good advice and comments which has helped me shape it to where it is now. I have recently joined this forum, and am interested in hearing feedback on the my first set of maps ever (unless you count heroes of might and magic maps!). :)

Gandwarf
08-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Well, I commented on the Profantasy forum and you know I like your maps :)
You have combined several styles and created something beautiful. The shields are a nice touch and the labeling looks great. I only wished the maps were slightly bigger. Is this the final size?

Coyotemax
08-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Nice maps! Very crisp and effective :)

Skaryn
08-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Thanks Gandwarf and Coyotemax! In regards to final size, I am not sure. I noticed some very nice maps like the one coyotemax did for new dawn of the west were very large, but the amount of detail is awe inspiring.

The end result for these maps is to be viewable in a 960 width window, which will be the length of my interactive viewer window. I need to check around and see what is the norm for post work on maps, I know on my kromgor map, I got squeezed for space on names. If i went lower on font size, it becomes hard to read, unless I did my labelling in Photoshop, where i could go lower in font size and make it readable.

If my maps go past 960 in width, then I would need to support sliding around like google maps. I have not decided if I want to go that route, although I have a prototype that can view any size maps (uses tiling and ajax like google maps).

Skaryn
08-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Hmm, I think I will try a rework of Corica at 3000x2000

mmmmmpig
08-06-2009, 11:55 PM
I really like the consistency of style for the maps. It is very clear that they are all from the same resource. Good stuff!

Skaryn
08-07-2009, 02:50 AM
I redid Corica in 3000x3000, but saved the png at 2000x2000. That seemed to allow me to add a lot more, and be a lot more detailed.

Coyotemax
08-07-2009, 03:35 AM
Wow, that's fabulous!! makes me want to try a map in this style.. I love the way it looks, and yes, the added detail really helps bring it alive.

Have you tried shrinking it down to the 960 wide to see how the detail preserves?

Gandwarf
08-07-2009, 04:12 AM
I like the bigger version a lot! It seems like you did the labeling in CC3 as well?

AslanC
08-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Nice maps!

I like that name Corica :)

Gandwarf
08-07-2009, 05:18 AM
I think your maps might finally push me to purchase the overland fantasy symbols set by the way ;)

Skaryn
08-07-2009, 05:49 AM
@Gandwarf

Yeah, it seems the labelling is pretty decent at a higher map size, not sure why that is. For instance, the smaller cities text is a height of 45, on the smaller map, it was 15. The fantasy overland set is good stuff, I use the annuals fantasy worlds, SS1, and default CC3 and mix it all up :)

@Coyotemax

Yah, Here is 1024 by 1024

1024x1024 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/28461737@N08/3796983221/sizes/l/)

I think I will just scrap the 960 requirement, and use a tiling approach similar to google maps so I can load any map regardless of size. My viewing window will probably be 800x600, and I wil just let the map slide around in it. I like the ability for people to scroll throuh the map and see everything in detaiil, with the added benefit that I can add a lot more detail , like dungeons, crypts, magical sites and the like.

@AslanC

Thanks! Corica is the only notable Human presence on Krava, and I wanted a name that sounded noblish, well it does to me :)

@ All

I updated my map, apparently, ZWIN got pasted into the forest mid map somehow, maybe the map was tyring to tell me something! I got rid of that and also colored the Dead Woods to a darker shade. I created a new sheet for dead forests, and added a transparency and Adjust Hue. Hmm, now to look at our good friend Kromgor!

Coyotemax
08-07-2009, 06:06 AM
Very nice. And yes, it does seem to resize nicely enough, but I like your idea of a scrolly version :)

Steel General
08-07-2009, 07:23 AM
While I'm not a big fan of some of the CC3 icon sets, you have done a nice job with these. Reminds me a bit of some of the WarHammer maps I've seen.

Skaryn
08-07-2009, 11:22 AM
While I'm not a big fan of some of the CC3 icon sets, you have done a nice job with these. Reminds me a bit of some of the WarHammer maps I've seen.

Hiyas Steel! The maps remind me a lot of :

HOMM2 Map (http://www.acorn-gaming.org.uk/Reviews/HOMM2/hmap.jpg)

without all the titles. I actually spent a lot of time during summers in college working on HOMM maps to play. :) I havent seen too many warhammer maps , I will have to check them out!

Ascension
08-07-2009, 02:29 PM
I love big icony symbols for things, always have, scale be damned. I just wish that I could draw my own because these look great. Maybe I'll add that to my list of things that I need to practice...where is that list? Oh, good, since it's gone that means that there is only one thing on the list, woo hoo :)

Gandwarf
08-07-2009, 02:56 PM
And of course... as soon as I try to purchase the symbol set the Profantasy website is down. *bangs head against wall*

Skaryn
08-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Hehe, I will probably be using WorldCreator 2.5++ to augment the structures some. Corica is medevial so not so much an issue, Kromgor I may make more suitable graphics for, just need to find the time :) Below is an example of the stuff it can do, uses colored template for processing multple 2d views (including isometric).

Wc 2.5++ Gallery (http://www.inet2inet.com/InetSoftware/User-Gallery/WC_Gallery/WCGallery01.asp)

Skaryn
08-07-2009, 03:02 PM
And of course... as soon as I try to purchase the symbol set the Profantasy website is down. *bangs head against wall*

Doh! I did pick up city designer 3, I am halfway through your tutorials so far :)

Karro
08-07-2009, 03:34 PM
These are some very fine maps.

Gandwarf
08-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Doh! I did pick up city designer 3, I am halfway through your tutorials so far :)

Let's see a WIP soon then ;)

Skaryn
08-09-2009, 02:13 AM
I have reworked the Krava Continent, to include names instead of numbers, along with trade routes. I also reworked all the forests, rivers, and added notable large cities/towns that exist outside of a government. The attached file is large, 4 mbs!

@Gandwarf

I got sidetracked by this, but will do cromica here soon ;) I am also trying to learn toponymy and conlang as well, on top of developing my site! So much to do, so little time :)

Gandwarf
08-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Ha! I only just found Corica on the continent. This thing is huge :)

Skaryn
08-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Ha! I only just found Corica on the continent. This thing is huge :)

Yah, I like the space that 3000x3000 can provide. Since these will be sliced up into 256x256 slices, I can make it larger with more detail :) I missed a few spots, and reworked them. I like this approach for future continents.

Steel General
08-09-2009, 09:22 AM
I have to say I like everything but the tree/forest fill, it looks like upside-down 'Vs'. But I don't have any suggestions for you to change it so it's not that big a deal.

Also your city/town symbols came down with a bad case of the 'jaggies'.

Still a nice map though :)

Gandwarf
08-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Also your city/town symbols came down with a bad case of the 'jaggies'.

CC3 needs anti-aliasing :)
It seems it made performance really, really bad.

Diamond
08-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Those are gorgeous maps. I can't find the time to learn to use CC3, but if this is any indication of the cool stuff you can make with it, I might have to make time.

One question: some of the borders are very ruler-straight. Is this because they're 'undefined' borders where exploration has petered out? If there's going to be other nations on the other side of those borders, it just seems odd that they would be so razor-straight, especially in one or two areas where they run close to a river.

Skaryn
08-09-2009, 09:10 PM
@Diamond

Thanks! I really like Campaign Cartographer. It took a while to get used to the flow of it, especially the determine your action first, then select entities to invoke said action on approach. It seems backwards to me but they say that is how it is in the CAD world.

I am going to rework the borders ,I would agree they seem stiff, I need to use the fractal tool for my borders.

@Steel General

I would agree they have are jaggy, I wonder if it is using the high resolution ones. I will need to check on that.

Skaryn
08-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Ok, I redid the borders. It wasnt actually that bad, I just went as if I was going to do a new border, hit e for edit, selected a starting node, then redrew the outline for a specific part. I am still new to CC3, but it continues to impress me. I think the fractalised borders seem to be a better fit.

Diamond
08-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Very very cool. I like those borders much better.