PDA

View Full Version : Regional map of Verena

Gandwarf
08-06-2009, 06:32 PM
So, it's been a few years since I really used Campaign Cartographer 3 itself to create regional maps (been using City Designer 3 exclusively). Tonight I started messing with a regional map of Verena (to see its location in the world: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2977). It's a bit of a tryout, created in an hour, and it seems I still have a lot to learn when creating regional maps :D

Didn't finish the labeling yet and not sure I will. It was fun to map again, though.
I kinda rushed the map and there's some stacking issues. Maybe I will fix them :P

Jykke
08-07-2009, 01:57 AM
Good results if you really did this just in 1 hour. :) Speedmapping!

Skaryn
08-07-2009, 02:18 AM
Thats pretty neat Gandwarf. I actually experimented with what you did with that town, use a bunch of smaller symbols to make the town. I may make use of that, I like the "ringed town" look.

Gandwarf
08-07-2009, 04:14 AM
Good results if you really did this just in 1 hour. :) Speedmapping!

Oh yeah, it's only one hour. An advantage of CC3 I think. You can create a map right from the start and very fast. Mastering it however takes ages...
Looking at this map again, I am certain I will redo it sometime :D

Coyotemax
08-07-2009, 04:51 AM
I thought that looked familiar when I first glanced at it.. then i remembered it's from your Eeuwige Sneeuw map :)

I recall you commenting that you were looking to see it in a different style, so i downloaded it to keep around for inspiration and nag at the back of my mind (I'm still puttering with some other projects, but I'm almost ready to do something with it, if you still want) :) I am liking the way your new version looks though.

Gandwarf
08-07-2009, 05:13 AM
Yeah, this map is a region from that map, which you call "Eeuwige sneeuw".
The map isn't called like that though. "Eeuwige sneeuw" is a label which means "Eternal snow". Most of the world is covered in snow and ice and only the valley can sustain life (it's a pretty large valley, a few million people live there).
Verena is a small village which lies outside of the valley, near the eternal snow plains. The village is there because of the forest.

If you are going to do something with the overland map (not this regional one, this is just an experiment) let me know. I can give you some more info and translate some more labels. Most of the labels mean something.

I am writing a fantasy story and Verena is a very big part of it. So I wanted to have a regional map to see where everything is located.

Coyotemax
08-07-2009, 05:42 AM
Ah, I get it. It looked like the label at the bottom was the map title :)

Yes, I'll definitely let you know before I do anything with it.. Right now I'm working on a town (testing out Ascension's tutorial - bit of a slog since city planning is not my forte, that's the part slowing me down) and an off-site paid commission (holycrap! my first!). Plus there's an experiment I'm really keen on starting..

Gandwarf
08-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Well, I attacked the map again and started from scratch. It's getting better.
The forest is still a mess though, with lots of stacking issues. Is there a way to avoid or quickly clean up such a stacking mess? I don't want to create a huge forest fill, I liked individual trees. But the stacking drives me mad...
Neonknight I need you :D

Gandwarf
08-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Mweh... I thinned out the forest and this is working better. Need to place more trees to dense up some more now :D

sarandosil
08-08-2009, 10:48 PM
I don't know why but those trees are seriously cute. Like I wanna pet them or something.

Gandwarf
08-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Treehugger :D

Gandwarf
08-08-2009, 11:41 PM
Well, I actually think I am done with this region now :D

Coyotemax
08-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Nice! I like the way you worked in the snow covered trees too :)
I'm guessing the rest stops are approximately a days journey apart? Nice attention to detail with spacing, they get closer as the terrain gets more steep.. need more rest as you gain altitude.

Ascension
08-09-2009, 01:44 AM
I like those mtns G and the lil snowy evergreens. Looks like a fun map to play with.

Skaryn
08-09-2009, 02:18 AM
I like it Gandwarf! I like the logging camp, it looks nice and settled in there. As you might guess, I am partial to these type of maps :)

Gandwarf
08-09-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm guessing the rest stops are approximately a days journey apart? Nice attention to detail with spacing, they get closer as the terrain gets more steep.. need more rest as you gain altitude.

Yeah, they are about a days journey apart. For loaded carts and horses pulling logs that is. Trees have become very valuable, valuable enough to transport them long distances over land (which is kind of insane with medieval technology). The rest stops double as small camps were logs are gathered as well, as they travel to the Valley.

Flaterectomy
08-09-2009, 08:25 AM
I Like it! For some reason I am reminded of playing the original settlers game on my Amiga around 15 years ago. :D

I was wondering, though, whether the lack of anti-aliasing on the text is a limitation of the CC3 software. I guess it may not matter if the goal is to print it at a higher resolution, but it seemed a shame that the text labels as well as the circle that I assume represents the wall around Verena have pixellated edges.

I'm thinking I'll travel southeast through the pass, into the valley and south to Overwinning myself. That sounds like a town suitably victorious for me to stay in. :D

Steel General
08-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Neat little map - glad to see you trying your hand at something besides cities.

The only thing I don't care for all that much is the 'wall' around the city. I think because it's top down and not isometric like everything else. Just my opinion...

Gandwarf
08-09-2009, 02:45 PM
I was wondering, though, whether the lack of anti-aliasing on the text is a limitation of the CC3 software. I guess it may not matter if the goal is to print it at a higher resolution, but it seemed a shame that the text labels as well as the circle that I assume represents the wall around Verena have pixellated edges.

CC3 doesn't do anti-aliasing unfortunately. It's a limitation of the software. Most of the time I do my labeling outside of CC3, but I was lazy this time :D

Gandwarf
08-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I might expand the first map somewhat... experimenting with towns and fields in this new WIP.

Diamond
08-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I love the overall look and layout of this, and the color scheme is gorgeous.

The only thing I don't care for all that much is the 'wall' around the city. I think because it's top down and not isometric like everything else. Just my opinion...

I was kinda thinking that too. It really becomes apparent when you compare it to the walls around the other communities you added in the expansion; the wall around Verena just doesn't look like it belongs.

Ascension
08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
It looks really cute, but in a good way, like fun.

Gandwarf
08-12-2009, 04:11 AM
I will experiment with the wall surrounding Verena some more then, thanks.

Gandwarf
08-12-2009, 04:29 AM
It looks really cute, but in a good way, like fun.

Well Flaterectomy might be onto something...
I am a huge Settlers fan and played all the games. I guess I am influenced by them in my mapping. The Settlers looks cute, but in a good way :)

Settlers screenshot:
http://ben.bacchus.com.au/vpcblog/images/settlersII4.PNG

Gandwarf
08-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Hmm... did some more work on this map, but I can't save it :(
CC3 keeps crashing, probably because too much is happening on this map. Even the PDF Creator workaround makes the map explode into a huge fireball.

Gandwarf
08-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Muhahaha, I found a workaround... that's probably not going to work anymore soon. Ah well, latest WIP below. I had to redo parts of the map as I made a mess of all the different sheets and effects. So unfortunately I didn't finish today like I was hoping.

Gandwarf
08-12-2009, 08:14 PM
I tried to give Westdiep, the city to the south, the same layout as the city map by the way. City map:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3793

Steel General
08-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I like the gray/stone colored walls.

Gandwarf
08-12-2009, 08:30 PM
I like the gray/stone colored walls.

Agreed...
Haven't touched the walls of Verena just yet. It has a wooden palissade, so can't make it grey.

Gandwarf
08-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Well, almost finished I think. I need to do some more cleaning up and still haven't touched Verena's walls. Oh, most of the labeling is now translated in Dutch, sorry... ;)
Pretty pleased how this map turned out. Took loads of time unfortunately...

Let me know if you see something strange. I will post the final version in the finished maps forum later.

Skaryn
08-13-2009, 08:33 PM
Love the farm patchwork. The map overall gives a semi perspective view, which is kinda neat :)

Gandwarf
08-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Reuploaded a new version of the map with some small fixes. I started messing with the Verena walls as well, but I am not there yet :)

Flaterectomy
08-14-2009, 03:32 PM
I like! What's the story behind Huilende Berg (crying mountain) though? Why is it sad? :(

Minor nitpicks: personally I'd prefer more gradation between different terrain types (for example, the pale green and grey terrains near Glinster), and the bottoms of the green hills are outlined, making it look like they're lying on top of the ground below. It kinda works for the style of the map in any case, but still. Have to point my finger at something, right? ;)

Clercon
08-14-2009, 05:14 PM
Really nice map. well done.

Highlieche
08-14-2009, 05:29 PM
:o..............just :o at the sheer level of awesome of these maps.

Gandwarf
08-14-2009, 08:05 PM
I am Gandwarf and I am a mapaholic :(
Instead of wrapping things up I just expanded the map again. Next WIP below.

Tear
08-14-2009, 08:31 PM
I don't know why, but somehow I knew you would. ;)

In my personal opinion this map gets better and better as it expands, it's only Verena's walls (as mentioned by others) that stand out as being "not right".

I have no idea what CC can do, but can you do an oval?
It would really help supporting the isometric view.

Here is an example (red is my edit):

Gandwarf
08-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Yeah CC3 can do an oval. I will take another shot at those walls right now :D
Thanks for the help.

Gandwarf
08-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Looks like you solved my problem :)
Thanks!

Gandwarf
08-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Reuploaded the latest WIP. Verena walls have been fixed... amongst some other fixes and additions.

Steel General
08-14-2009, 11:13 PM
Yippee! I like the walls of Verena look so much better now.

Diamond
08-15-2009, 02:13 AM
That is pretty darn cool. And Verena's wall fits right in with the rest of the map now.

Gandwarf
08-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Another update and the map expanded yet again :D
This is probably the last expansion for now, though. Need to fill in all the details now.

Flaterectomy
08-15-2009, 11:47 AM
Heh, I just noticed you have a river named 'De Wormer', and in the real world 'Wormer' is actually a town quite close to where I live and where my father's side of the family comes from. :D

Gandwarf
08-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Well, I lifted "Wormer" of Google maps yesterday :)
Most of the towns in this map are combinations of names of places in the Netherlands. I thought "Wormer" sounded cool for a twisting river.
Need to get inspiration somewhere...

Gandwarf
08-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Next update... added a lot of stuff and expanded the map a small bit.

Skaryn
08-16-2009, 09:44 AM
Love where your going with this Gandwarf! I can tell you have put some serious time into it, the results are looking very good.

Gandwarf
08-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Next WIP... still more expansion :D

Ascension
08-16-2009, 06:33 PM
This is good stuff. I can't wait for the next expansion :)

Gandwarf
08-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Reuploaded the latest version of the map.
This will be the last expansion for now and I will fill in the details in the next couple of days. The map depicts the north of the Valley.

I might do a full version of the Valley later this year.

Gandwarf
08-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Reuploaded latest WIP. Some small updates and the map isn't much bigger :)

Tear
08-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Lookin good.

The fields, while also looking good, are a bit on the high contrast side. Is there any way to blend them some more with the background? Lowering opacity a bit maybe, or changing blending modes? I know I'm talking Photoshop terms here, but unfortunately I know jack about CC.

Gandwarf
08-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Well, blending stuff in isn't as easy as with Photoshop I think. It can be done though... see example below. It certainly isn't perfect, but I need to push some more buttons and experiment :)

Honestly, I do like the really pronounced fields though. So I might just keep them

Tear
08-18-2009, 05:11 AM
Sure. Just some food for thought.

Gandwarf
08-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Sure. Just some food for thought.

I value feedback a lot, even if I don't always incorporate the feedback in my maps. Just so you know that I am thankful!

I will certainly experiment some more with saturation and opacity. We'll see...

Steel General
08-18-2009, 07:57 AM
I think somewhere in the middle of the 2 'styles' would look good.

Gandwarf
08-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Well then, next WIP.
I wasn't able to do a lot of work. Toned down the fields somewhat, added stuff to the Iffraon region and experimented with some river rapids (near Iffraon as well).

Steel General
08-18-2009, 07:36 PM
I really like the crops/fields now, they look nice.

Gandwarf
08-19-2009, 08:14 PM
The end is near! At least for this map...

Steel General
08-19-2009, 08:54 PM
...and a fine map it has turned out to be. :)

Flaterectomy
08-20-2009, 04:38 PM
I really like the little symbols here and there, giving it this computer game feel (resources, if you will). The hammers, the (I assume) iron ore near Glinster, the sheep and horses, all of those. I want to play your map now, whatever strategy game it might be. ;)

Gandwarf
08-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Well, I think this is going to be it. I might still tweak some small things, so let me know if you see something strange.

ravells
08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Gwandarf! This is fantastic! I remember it when it was just the wood and now it's huge...how many hours? Tell me....how many hours?

Gandwarf
08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
60 to 80 hours I think. Too many... need to take a break from mapping and do some writing again :)
This map has really helped me visualise the world though. At least the part my story is about. So it's worth the investment.

ravells
08-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah....I start going mad after 60...

Gandwarf
08-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Yeah....I start going mad after 60...

Indeed :)
And this is only half the map. I will finish the whole map in the future... I will. I want to have Sirilion on the map as well. Jewel of the south :D

ravells
08-20-2009, 06:18 PM
You are built of stern stuff, Mr Warf.

You have the soul of a Cartographer.

Tear
08-20-2009, 06:28 PM
You are built of stern stuff, Mr Warf.

You have the soul of a Cartographer.

Seconded.

I'll cast my newbie spell of Inadequate Rep Gain upon thee.

Gandwarf
08-23-2009, 03:55 PM
So, I never was able to stop... I have to see the end of this project. It has me in its grip :P

On to Sirilion!

Jykke
08-23-2009, 04:00 PM
This map has expanded quite nicely :D Nice work, any idea how many hours you have put into it?

Gandwarf
08-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Roughly... the current damage report is 80+

Jykke
08-23-2009, 04:25 PM
I don't usually keep note of the hours I use on a map. Much easier to say "I don't know" when my fiancee asks about it. Might just save me from a beating xD (naah, just kidding, she's not violent :))

Gandwarf
08-23-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't usually keep note of the hours I use on a map. Much easier to say "I don't know" when my fiancee asks about it. Might just save me from a beating xD (naah, just kidding, she's not violent :))

Yes, I read your fiancee isn't always supportive of your geek hobbies.
Luckily, my wife is. She even tried making some maps with Campaign Cartographer 3 herself, for a story she was writing. Still, I know a lot of people close to me would give me a weird look once I tell them I spent 100 hours on a map :P

Ascension
08-23-2009, 05:37 PM
I knew there would be more ;)

Gandwarf
08-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Reuploaded last WIP. Sirilion is now firmly on the map :D

Diamond
08-24-2009, 12:49 AM
60 to 80 hours I think. Too many... need to take a break from mapping and do some writing again :)
This map has really helped me visualise the world though. At least the part my story is about. So it's worth the investment.

I know what you mean. I find it hard to write convincingly unless I know in minute detail what the area I'm writing about looks like.

And bravo on the map; that is completely bad-ass.

Clercon
08-24-2009, 03:38 AM
I really like this map. Great to see that you had the energy to do the whole valley. It's amazing to see all the details you've put in, really gives me inspiration. Now I just have to get my sick daughter to sleep so I can start mapping myself.

Steel General
08-24-2009, 07:34 AM
Very nice Gandwarf! I dub thee newly 'repped' *bonk*

My only little nitpick is the really small text just outside of Sirillion is difficult to read, but that may just be a result of resizing or something like that.

Gandwarf
08-24-2009, 08:27 AM
Thanks!
I have to save the map at lower quality, because it is getting too large for the forum. I will post the final version on another site I think.

Gandwarf
08-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Next WIP. Not much done today, mostly the terrain southwest of the mountains. Had to save in lesser quality (even more than before).

Steel General
08-25-2009, 06:51 AM
Can you save as .png? It has a larger file size limitation within the board software

Clercon
08-25-2009, 08:15 AM
The map is just getting better and better. I can really look at it for ages. I what area are your stories mainly take place?

Gandwarf
08-25-2009, 09:06 AM
Can you save as .png? It has a larger file size limitation within the board software

Ah, yes. I will try that later this week.

The map is just getting better and better. I can really look at it for ages. I what area are your stories mainly take place?

Thanks. The story takes place mostly in the area north of the large lake. Verena being the center. A lot of other cities and areas are mentioned though.

Gandwarf
08-28-2009, 03:32 PM
So, this thread started out as a map for a tiny part of my world. Now everything is mapped :P

Let me know if you see any weird stuff, so I can touch it up. I tried some cartouches, but the ones I found I didn't like...
Saved as JPG again... the PNG came out even bigger.

pasis
08-28-2009, 04:05 PM
I don't see any weird staf here, I only see great stuff. Btw is the Sirilion the same as the city you had mapped earlier (it had a river going through it too if I recall right)?

Gandwarf
08-28-2009, 04:19 PM
I don't see any weird staf here, I only see great stuff. Btw is the Sirilion the same as the city you had mapped earlier (it had a river going through it too if I recall right)?

Yes, that's the same Sirilion. All the city maps I posted on this forum are of cities that can be found on this map. Most of the time I gave the cities the same shape and features as in the city map.

Steel General
08-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Question: With an active volcano nearby, I would think that the area around Duisterberg would be a bit more green - or is there a specific reason it's not?

Gandwarf
08-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Question: With an active volcano nearby, I would think that the area around Duisterberg would be a bit more green - or is there a specific reason it's not?

I experimented with it, but it didn't look that nice.
And the volcano is not that active, it's dramatised for the map :P

Steel General
08-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Fair enough :)

Gandwarf
09-03-2009, 04:12 PM
I decided I am done with this map for now. This weekend I had it printed poster size (90x60cm) through http://www.posterjack.nl (a German print-on-demand service available throughout several European countries and Canada).

It turned out beautiful. I now have a huge paper map of my world :)

Steel General
09-03-2009, 05:35 PM
I decided I am done with this map for now. This weekend I had it printed poster size (90x60cm) ...

Awesome!! :)

Tear
09-03-2009, 05:39 PM
I decided I am done with this map for now. This weekend I had it printed poster size (90x60cm) through http://www.posterjack.nl (a German print-on-demand service available throughout several European countries and Canada).

Please post a photo if you can. :)

Gandwarf
09-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Part of my foot's in it for size reference ;)

It's dark over here and I have a crappy photocamera at the moment, so this picture really doesn't do the map justice. Even the tiniest label are still readable in this map (obviously not in the picture).

Tear
09-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Doesn't matter. It gives a good enough impression of the "real thing".
It looks beautiful. A nice thing to have on the wall while gaming, that's for sure.

Thanks for posting.

Steel General
09-03-2009, 08:05 PM
That looks really nice.

Diamond
09-03-2009, 09:57 PM
That is a thing of beauty, Gandwarf. Anyone know of an US company that'll do similar posters?

Ascension
09-03-2009, 11:42 PM
There's one right here in the guild...Gamerprinter. He's in Chicago.

Diamond
09-04-2009, 01:03 AM
There's one right here in the guild...Gamerprinter. He's in Chicago.

Sweet! I wonder if there are CG discounts... :D

Clercon
09-04-2009, 02:35 AM
Good to see that you printed it out. It's great to get your maps on paper, gives you a completely new view of the whole thing. I've printed out my Etrakien map on canvas, really funny just to stand and look at all the details. And it also makes it easier to show it off in front of your friends :-)

Jykke
09-04-2009, 02:38 AM
Good looking print you have there :). Are you going to continue the project ?

Gandwarf
09-04-2009, 05:17 AM
Good looking print you have there :). Are you going to continue the project ?

Depends on what you call "the project" :)
This map is finished. I might add some small things in the future, but I am not going to further expand it as it would only show the eternal snowplains and those are empty of life. What you see now is the world.

Now it's back to writing stories for me...

Clercon
09-04-2009, 07:30 AM
Depends on what you call "the project" :)
This map is finished. I might add some small things in the future, but I am not going to further expand it as it would only show the eternal snowplains and those are empty of life. What you see now is the world.

Now it's back to writing stories for me...

Well I hope you just don't write stories from now on. I'd really miss more good looking maps from you. So why not start up a completely new world and map away :-)

Gandwarf
09-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Tempting, tempting... but no, I am dedicated to this world. I am not done mapping either. There's still cities to map.

Gandwarf
09-05-2009, 08:42 PM
So, tonight I showed the map to several people who already read my first book. They seemed genuinely impressed and delighted to see the world in more detail. Of course while talking I got some new ideas for this map. I should definitely add a legend and I might add small maps of the more important cities to the side. Always more stuff to do :D

Diamond
09-05-2009, 09:51 PM
What about a border all the way around the map that contains the coats of arms of the various cities, towns, guilds, etc.?

Gandwarf
09-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Don't do this to me Diamond :D

Ramah
09-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Wow!

I'm not a fan of CC3 maps usually - I can't get past the "cartoonness" of them.

But this is amazing. So well done and absolutely huge. I could look at this thing for hours there's just so much to see.

Great stuff, Gandwarf. :)

Gandwarf
09-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks Ramah. Such a positive comment made by you means a lot to me. I very much admired your featured work.

Diamond
09-06-2009, 08:29 PM
Don't do this to me Diamond :D

Come on; do it! You know you want to.

:D