PDA

View Full Version : New map

HandsomeRob
07-04-2007, 09:48 PM
Hi all,

I've been quite impressed by the fancy styles you guys are all coming up with lately. I've been waiting for a project to come along at work that I can use some of your ideas on.

In the meantime, I've got another map done for my atlas project. Please have a look, and if you're interested, the rest of the project can be found here. (http://sorol.wikispaces.com)

heruca
07-04-2007, 11:09 PM
OMG! :shock: :o

OK, fine, I GIVE UP!

:lol:

RogerStenning
07-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Oh, hell. Geneva Convention, Rob - don't kick us when we're down ;) Excellent map, by the way :)

pyrandon
07-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Nice. Verrrrry nice!

Razor767
07-05-2007, 02:06 AM
Dear god man....

Nice work.

btw...

For being this good

:roll:

I hate you...

RPMiller
07-05-2007, 02:25 AM
And once again HR demonstrates why he has the title professional... :shock:

That map brought a tear to my eye. :cry:

Torq
07-05-2007, 04:34 AM
Cheers All. See you in another life. Its back to my day job. :cry:

Excellent map. Wow.

Torq

RobA
07-05-2007, 10:13 AM
Nice rivers :)

I especially like the oxbow lakes around the Unurvi River.

-Rob A>

ravells
07-05-2007, 10:30 AM
I bought a new printer this weekend (super duper hi res one) and the first thing I printed on it was one of handsomeRob's maps. They look even better in print on photographic paper!

Absolutely superb!

Ravs

HandsomeRob
07-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks so much everyone!

Nice rivers

I especially like the oxbow lakes around the Unurvi River
Yeah, that took a while to do but I think it was worth the effort.

I bought a new printer this weekend (super duper hi res one) and the first thing I printed on it was one of handsomeRob's maps. They look even better in print on photographic paper!
Wow, that's awesome! I wish I could post the hi-res versions. These maps were originally designed to be 10"x16" and print at 300 dpi, but my website only allows images up to 2048 pixels on a side, so I have to downsample the maps.

jswa
07-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Really cool maps (this and the other one)!

I know someone said something about a tutorial in the other map's thread, but I'm wondering: was it lost when the forum moved from phpBB to vBulletin?

Naryt
07-13-2007, 10:41 AM
I didn't see any link...which map's thread mentioned the tutorial or are you thinking of this one: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=530

ravells
07-13-2007, 11:43 AM
It wasn't posted as a Tutorial in the tutorial section, it was more a general explanation by HandsomeRob as to how he went about making his maps. Your best bet would be to do a search on the forums.

HandsomeRob
07-14-2007, 11:16 AM
There is a tutorial in the Conlanger.com journal, which can be found here: http://www.conlanger.com/issue5.pdf

-Rob

jswa
07-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks a lot, HandsomeRob!

Razor767
07-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Hiya.

I followed that tutorial HandsomeRob but had 2 issues.

1.) When I go to save the grid layer... FT crashes.

2.) When I save the relief layer, it turns out completely white (with both the land and sea being set to that color as per the tutorial) with no relief in the jpg. I see the relief in FT but not when I save it as a jpg.

Two possible things come to mind. My PC is choking on the data with the grid layer. And, there's a checkbox somewhere else that will allow me to export the relief with any map I save. It could also be that we have different version. I have FT Pro 2.3.

Anything you might suggest would be gladdly appreciated.

HandsomeRob
07-15-2007, 11:38 AM
You are running a much newer version than what I have (FT version 1.23). But maybe if you turned down the number of subdivisions on the grid, it wouldn't choke your computer. I don't know what to tell you about the relief not showing up. Perhaps there are others here who know FT better than I do.

Sorry,
Rob

jswa
07-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Hmmm... I'm not 100% certain what the issue there is, but I believe I have the same version of FT as you, so I'll take a look. I won't be back home until tomorrow, though :?

Good luck working it out.

The Cartographist
12-13-2007, 07:01 AM
HandsomeRob - Like everybody else, WOW.

With that said, what is your plan with this atlas project? Are you just designing a world for the fun of it or is there more to it?

BTW, the style is fantastic. Reminds me very much of National Geographic (who I consider to be the best cartographer's in this world).

thebax2k
12-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Your maps are very well executed HandsomeRob, they look like something I can buy in a map shop. I'd like to see a Gantau map one day (although given how large the country is, the map for it will be huge). I also liked your city map of Jushalishuk, it had a very nice Bedouin/desert feel to it--I hope you decide to do other city maps as well.

RPMiller
12-13-2007, 08:13 PM
Your maps are very well executed HandsomeRob, they look like something I can buy in a map shop. I'd like to see a Gantau map one day (although given how large the country is, the map for it will be huge). I also liked your city map of Jushalishuk, it had a very nice Bedouin/desert feel to it--I hope you decide to do other city maps as well.
You'll notice that HandsomeRob has "Industry Professional" beneath his nic. He is an actual cartographer in real life and thus you can understand why it looks like something you could buy. :)

mmmmmpig
12-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Did you, by chance, work on the Barrington Atlas of the Greek and Roman World? The plate you shared is very similar in style to a plate I have of Carthage. Love this style, it works very well for a more Academic style of atlas. Post some more!

HandsomeRob
01-01-2008, 05:48 PM
What is your plan with this atlas project? Are you just designing a world for the fun of it or is there more to it?
Isn't that enough? :) Yep, it's a world designed just for the fun of it. Eventually I'll have the entire planet mapped out at a similar scale to this map; I'll keep you posted as I update. I also like to associate photos I find to my world, so most of my notes on this planet are just maps and photos at the moment.

like to see a Gantau map one day.
It's on my list, although it will probably be spread out over 5 sheets.

-Rob