PDA

View Full Version : [Modern] Union City

Arkm
08-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm getting ready to start an Urban Fantasy styled campaign set in the near future and wanted someplace that seemed real but also had a creepy not real feel to it. I ended up inventing a city rather than adapting one of the real cities in the US.

Influences: I wanted the feel of Gotham which led me to using Nolan's map for inspiration. The actual design of the city is inspired by New York, Chicago, Kowloon, Hudson City [Hero Games], and, of course, Gotham City. The Oldtown section is where I intend to start the action so it is getting the most love right now.

Tools: Illustrator CS 2

Here is where I've gotten so far.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15635&stc=1&d=1249669155

Gandwarf
08-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Like the shape and layout so far.
Lots of city maps being worked on at the guild at the moment. Nice :)

Steel General
08-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Don't see to many modern city maps...looking good so far.

Arkm
08-20-2009, 03:21 AM
Here is an updated version of the map. I think roads - beyond the major through fares will be some diminishing returns. I'll probably jump up and finish the other sections first.

Jykke
08-20-2009, 03:36 AM
Nice looking modern map you have there :) Btw, what is red rita ?=D

Steel General
08-20-2009, 06:46 AM
Btw, what is red rita ?=D

Sounds like some kind of cocktail.

Jykke
08-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Sounds like some kind of cocktail.

..or a name of a certain type of "street-worker" :D

Greason Wolfe
08-20-2009, 02:15 PM
..or a name of a certain type of "street-worker" :D

Or Bloody Mary's sister?

Urban Fantasy campaign set in the near future and a map inspired (at least in part) by Hero Games. Would it be a safe bet to put money on this being a Hero Systems campaign?

GW

Arkm
08-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Red Rita is one of the tram lines. The others (Blue and Green) are subways but the Red Rita is suspended like the rail in Batman Begins.

As to system, I am currently systemless but my game of choice is Hero System. If I went with Storyteller it would save me a bucket of time. So, no definites just yet. Either way, the majority of the writing would work for any system save for NPC write-ups.

Arkm
08-20-2009, 03:17 PM
City Color Code... It might help to know what is what.

Yellow to Dark Brown = slums to high property value residential.
Pink/Purple = Entertainment Districts/Strips
Light Grey to Dark Grey = Industrial to Upscale Business Districts [Dark Grey would be something like Manhattan or Chicago Loop]

jerriecan
09-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Very impressive! Hope to see more of this soon!

BlueDay
09-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Very clever I like the re-use of resources. It's always good to improve on what is available rather than fuss over what can be made anew.