PDA

View Full Version : Greethings

len
08-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Hey my name is Lennart (Len) Bruins, 23 jears old and currently living in the Netherlands. Just wanted to tell you guys (and girls) that the tutorials on this forum are really helpfull for getting the worlds for my book(s) on paper, i have many stories in my head but currently im jotting down a story going by the name "the Chronicles of Entaugh" (pronounced: Entaw)

please remember those names Lennart (Len) Bruins - The Chronicles of Entaugh if you ever see the book in a store (if i can get them published that is :S) and you look at the maps, rememer that i couldn't have made them as nice without the help of this site.

Thank you,

Len

Gandwarf
08-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Hey Lennart, welcome to the guild. Good to see another Dutch guy ;)

Are you writing your story in Dutch?

len
08-07-2009, 07:19 PM
thank you :D

Both English and Dutch, i begin writing in Dutch and i'm translating every chapter when finished. because if the dutch publishers aren't interested, then i could sent the manuscript to English or American publishers, and save a whole lot of work later on.

NeonKnight
08-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Welcome to the Guild!

ravells
08-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Hope your book makes it to the shops! Be sure to mention the guild in your foreward! :)

Welcome to our little corner of (collectively illustrated) heaven!

Steel General
08-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Welcome Aboard!

Gandwarf
08-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Both English and Dutch, i begin writing in Dutch and i'm translating every chapter when finished. because if the dutch publishers aren't interested, then i could sent the manuscript to English or American publishers, and save a whole lot of work later on.

That's a very good idea! Chances are high Dutch publishers will not be interested, unfortunately. They mainly want to translate English fantasy and then publish that :)
Is your English good enough to translate? I have done some translation work in the past (mainly English > Dutch) and it's pretty difficult I think.

len
08-08-2009, 07:22 AM
That's a very good idea! Chances are high Dutch publishers will not be interested, unfortunately. They mainly want to translate English fantasy and then publish that :)
Is your English good enough to translate? I have done some translation work in the past (mainly English > Dutch) and it's pretty difficult I think.

i'm still cherishing a little bit of hope that Luitingh will be interested in the manuscript, otherwise i think i will turn to Harper Collins or Houghton Mifflin.

and if no one is interested i will publish it myself. (i'm originally a Desktop publisher so i'm kind of used to designing lay-outs for books, and i have enough connections with print- bookbinding companies, so that should work out pretty nicely too.

Well i think my English is good enough for translating (i have a recommendation letter for the university of Cambridge, i did not actually enroll there, but it is a good indication of my skill with the English language.)

so i do not think that translating would be that hard of a task to to handle.

Dutch > English is easy the otherway around is a pain in the rump.

Gandwarf
08-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Interesting. I am writing a couple of stories in Dutch myself and I am very near to the point that I can send in a manuscript. Rejection is highly likely though, so I am exploring other routes as well (translating/self-publishing).

Maybe I should try translating a few chapters myself and see how it goes. Hiring a professional translator is very expensive I noticed :)

len
08-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Professional translators are very expensive indeed, but if you have friends who are speaking the English language natively and are willing to help with translating (grammer spelling checks etc.) surely helps a lot ;)

im thinking of combining my pagan midieval/celtic webshop with a publishing label "Pagan hill publishing" hmm sounds good :P but only if all else fails, especially for starting Dutch fantasy writers.

Imahilus
08-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Sorry to crash your topic like this, it just sounds interesting =)
Don't suppose you've ever heard of nanowrimo? ( http://www.nanowrimo.org )

Despite being a coder, I just love dabbling with artsy stuff.
Up untill now I've more or less given up on making pretty pictures, as such I gave nanowrimo a try (with the thought 'a picture says a thousand words' so how about 'a thousand words can paint a picture').
Personally I find that translated stories just lack that certain something, not to downtalk your work though. It is just that certain flair of the language that is so hard to capture when translating. Though I'd love to hear your opinion on that topic.

In anycase, starting your own publishing agency might not be too bad. If you try to get connections with nanowrimo for instance, you might get some potential gems from other dutch / english writers. So there is definitly potential in that field.

len
08-09-2009, 09:33 AM
nanowrimo hmm sounds interesting, have to look into that.

Personally I find that translated stories just lack that certain something, not to downtalk your work though. It is just that certain flair of the language that is so hard to capture when translating. Though I'd love to hear your opinion on that topic.

well in my opinion, translated works can be just as great as the original, its just the technique that is used for the translating that makes all the difference, is the story literary translated then there is a big chance that the story will lack a lot flair (as you called it ;))

when i'm translating a story i use a certain freedom in my translating wich sometimes means i have to rewrite some part's because sometimes they don't really work in that certain language, things i don't translate are names (i HATE it when translators are fecking with names) songs and poems (will not be translated but be rewriting with the same intention and thought in mind as when i wrote the original version.)

and further more i personally think the Enlgish language is far more suited for telling stories, the English language has more words for some things than the dutch making a work that is translated from dutch to English much more textual rich and adds the extra flair of the language, but only when done in the right way.

well thats my opinnion atleast