PDA

View Full Version : NDotW: World Map

AslanC
08-07-2009, 09:56 PM
So I got to fiddling and I decided it was time to figure exactly what the rest of the world looks like.

I know my players. They will find their way over the mountains, or across the seas.

Overlaying the West (it is in black) I then set about to get the coast of the rest.

Please remember that this is meant to be a fantasy alternate Earth (hence why I think the world will just be called Earth in the end) so some things are gonna look familiar.

I didn't put the terrain outline along the bottom for the Antarctica for two reasons.

1] I haven't decided on how it will look.

2] I have no idea how to make a globe out of this. Does anyone here? Can someone help me with that?

As always comments are more than welcome, they are sought! :D

Steel General
08-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Great start, my eyes keep looking for something in the southeast portion of the map - maybe this worlds equivalent to austrailia?

AslanC
08-07-2009, 10:10 PM
D'OH!!!!!!!!!

I forgot Oz!

And Africa!

Will fix and repost :(

Coyotemax
08-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Yay! Hard not to run with something like this once you get inspired, huh :)

I like the direction the world shape is taking.

Since it's a slightly distoreted version of earth.. how about Ertha, or Aerth? :P

AslanC
08-07-2009, 10:32 PM
We call out world Earth because it comes from the Greek word Gaea which becomes the latin Terra and English Earth.

But then you knew this.

Why would the people of this world make up a silly name for their world that doesn't mean ground? ;)

waldronate
08-07-2009, 10:39 PM
For the same reason that they don't call themselves "the people"! Wait, everyone calls themselves that. It's the next group over that calls them evil and cannibals.

Coyotemax
08-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Because of the same reason things are a bit changed with the geopgraphy - it's an alternate version, the "local" greeks may have had a different pronounciation or spelling, leading to dialect differences as it gets translated to it's final version!

Yeah, that's it!

:P

AslanC
08-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Still doesn't change the fact that in every language we call this place "dirt" :P

Coyotemax
08-07-2009, 10:56 PM
That's my point though - maybe that's the local word for "dirt" *hides*

AslanC
08-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Arrrgggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!

I feel like Charlie Brown. :P

In English the language we are speak we call the world Earth. Not Terra, that's latin.

So if I was to take the common tongue and find the name for the planet, it would be whatever their word is for earth.

Since in the metagame aspect Pendrian is English, it is Earth.

:P

zenram
08-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Come on, start your topic XD

AslanC
08-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Colour me confused. What topic? Forgive me I am dense sometimes. :(

AslanC
08-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Okay here it is. With Africa and Australia and New Zealand all added in.

I also added Antarctica and and arctic island. :)

Anything jump out as just plain crap?

The West remains highlighted in black.

Here it is! (http://sites.google.com/site/newdawnofthewest/theworld.gif?attredirects=0)

Coyotemax
08-08-2009, 12:24 AM
I just LOVE the red X, it evokes such character. Brilliant in it's simplicity. Are you trying to imply the entire map is a hazardous encounter? Excellent!

AslanC
08-08-2009, 12:26 AM
I can see it just fine. Grrrrr... stupid Google Sites :(

Oh and funny stuff there Chuckles McGee! Can I call you Chuck?

AslanC
08-08-2009, 02:46 AM
Okay I went over my old stuff and plundered wikipedia for native tribes and then bastardized them! :)

Coyotemax
08-08-2009, 03:03 AM
holybig gif batman!

AslanC
08-08-2009, 03:04 AM
Size matters Pee Wee ;)

Coyotemax
08-08-2009, 03:05 AM
Especially when the browser times out loading it :)

AslanC
08-08-2009, 03:07 AM
It's only 800k! What are you running an Amiga? :P

Coyotemax
08-08-2009, 03:09 AM
Maybe it's the connection then. Ahwell.
Sounds like you're having fun with it, and that's the main part :P

[edit]
Aaah, it's the red X issue again!

AslanC
08-08-2009, 03:12 AM
Okay that's gotta be your computer. Let me email it to you.

AslanC
08-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Okay so I just spent 3 hours after I told my GF I was going to bed tinkering with this damned thing.

I am losing perspective and need to take a step back and not look at it for a couple of days.

Le sigh... this is the same process I went through perfecting the West. Let's hope it doesn't take another 10 years ;)

LonewandererD
08-08-2009, 05:42 AM
I hate to be an annoyance but I'm also getting the red x of doom. Looks good from what I can see so far though.

Nice work :)

-D-

AslanC
08-08-2009, 05:43 AM
Well Google Sites has a glitch for some and not for others.

What about the attachments here? Same problems?

Gandwarf
08-08-2009, 06:00 AM
Getting the red X as well.
It seems to be an Internet Explorer issue... Google Chrome has no trouble displaying the image.

Eilathen
08-08-2009, 06:46 AM
I really like what you've come up with. Will be intresting to see how this will turn out.

And i have no problems with the display of the images...using Firefox.

AslanC
08-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Well we have found the problem.

Stupid IE :(

I am certain this map is going to change dramatically when I get back to it, since I am super displeased with this one.

Super displeased.

Maybe I'll stab at it again after breakfast.

philipstephen
08-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Great font! What is is called?

And the map is looking good too. Are your players actually likely to explore the whole world?

Phil

AslanC
08-08-2009, 12:40 PM
The font is Scurlock.

Eventually who knows... but at least I will.

Though this isn't it... not at all. So doing a redesign.

craggles
08-09-2009, 08:10 AM
2] I have no idea how to make a globe out of this. Does anyone here? Can someone help me with that?

I was bored and couldn't sleep last night and I liked your alternate earth map a lot so I went and did this...
http://web.me.com/craig.john/share/theworld.mov
(It's only 1.5MB and it loops)

For interest's sake, I added mountains and a cloud layer.

After making the animation, I can see I'd need to add some more space above and below the original map image so the continents don't take up the whole side in the USA.

What do you think?

Steel General
08-09-2009, 08:12 AM
That looks really nice Craggles...may ask you do do this for me at some point if you don't mind.

craggles
08-09-2009, 08:21 AM
I've uploaded the file at double size so the details are a little fuzzy but the file size is as low as I could get it.

The mountains are probably not scientifically correct and certainly not what you'd have in mind but I added them to show a little variation.

I also coloured the map including adding deserts and white polar regions but they don't seem to have come out in the final render and it looks pretty much all green unfortunately. I would also make sure they'd come out properly if I did it again as well as the scale of some of the continents stretched out over the the entire vertical plane.

craggles
08-09-2009, 08:30 AM
That looks really nice Craggles...may ask you do do this for me at some point if you don't mind.

Yeah sure - it was fun! :)

Steel General
08-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Great...thx

AslanC
08-09-2009, 04:11 PM
I was bored and couldn't sleep last night and I liked your alternate earth map a lot so I went and did this...

<snip>

For interest's sake, I added mountains and a cloud layer.

After making the animation, I can see I'd need to add some more space above and below the original map image so the continents don't take up the whole side in the USA.

What do you think?

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um wow.

I was really hating where the map had gone and then I saw this and fell in love all over again.

Yes the arctic and antarctic regions need more water.

Let me get back to you on this with an update.... holy wow.

Thank you so much man.

craggles
08-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Hey - Don't hate the map!

...and you're very welcome. :)

AslanC
08-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Hey - Don't hate the map!

Hate the game? ;)

...and you're very welcome. :)

Dude I am still in awe... plain and simple awe.

Morkhdull
08-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Looking all this stuff for a while, I wonder if there's any campaign description of your world.

Please any link available, AslanC ?

Thank's

AslanC
08-09-2009, 09:16 PM
I have no web hosting right now so I can't put up anything too organized.

But here is the document of the history of the West.

I have another that is on gods and religion but it is being edited and rewritten right now :(

Feed back welcomed and encouraged.

craggles
08-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I have no web hosting right now so I can't put up anything too organized.

You know, I can help with that too. ;)
CJ Productions (http://www.cjproductions.co.uk/html/services/web-hosting.html) :D

AslanC
08-10-2009, 12:29 AM
LOL! Thanks but I'll pass for now.

Wow this project has taken on a life... that makes me very very happy :)

Coyotemax
08-10-2009, 01:19 AM
all because you had the bravery to post a map :P

*applause*

AslanC
08-10-2009, 01:23 AM
*blush*

Well thank you sir :)

AslanC
08-10-2009, 02:04 AM
Okay almost done the land masses.

Not sure about that greenland place up top and still want to add a mass between what would be Alaska and Russia.

The red line represents the equator.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments?

Edit: For some reason the attachment feature keeps crapping out on me :(

Here is the image (http://www.earthalpha.net/the_world.gif)

Morkhdull
08-10-2009, 06:02 AM
Thank's for the file, AslanC...

Quite interesting.

Steel General
08-10-2009, 06:43 AM
Edit: For some reason the attachment feature keeps crapping out on me :(

That's because the image exceeds the megapixel limit (~33 megapixels), your image is ~39 megapixels.

AslanC
08-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Ah ha!

And how does one lower megapixels in Photoshop?

Steel General
08-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Ah ha!
And how does one lower megapixels in Photoshop?

IMAGE > IMAGE SIZE

The pixel dimensions will be at the top. Adjust the length, height and or resolution to reduce that number to 33 megapixels and save as new file.

AslanC
08-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Mine doesn't say "Megapixels" anywhere that I am seeing.

Here is a screen, please show me what I am missing?

Steel General
08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
"Pixel Dimensions" is what you are looking for (yours is currently 118.8M)

- my bad on using the wrong term. :P

AslanC
08-11-2009, 01:26 AM
Okay this should be much smaller now :)

So as I said before. Not sure about that Greenland and I want something more between Alaska and Russia... well all three of those being subjective ;)

Thoughts?

Steel General
08-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Not sure about that Greenland and I want something more between Alaska and Russia... well all three of those being subjective ;)

Thoughts?

Maybe a chain of islands (ala the Aleutians except running from the northern 'Alaskan' coast over to 'Russia').

'Greenland' doesn't look to bad.

AslanC
08-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Okay now that the West is done... I can turn back to the world a bit more.

Here's where I stand right now and the dark grey area will be the next map to get a detailed section done. The East.

The Black is what has been done already :)

Though there is a little bit that get's chopped on the bottom and a lot on the top... the top can wait until a map of Vothia is done.

That little bottom bit tasks me though! Grrrr.....

Coyotemax
08-23-2009, 08:25 PM
No fear, I have an idea on hot to deal with that :)

AslanC
08-23-2009, 08:30 PM
No fear, I have an idea on hot to deal with that :)

Fog of War? ;)

Coyotemax
08-23-2009, 08:58 PM
i was thinking more along the lines of expanding it out a bit on that one side. Shouldn't be too hard to bring in the left edge of the west (plus with what i have in mind, it'll tile rather seamlessly)

AslanC
08-23-2009, 09:01 PM
I see, so shall we take this to private and start our usual back and forth? :D

Coyotemax
08-23-2009, 09:05 PM
sounds like a plan. though i'm taking a break for the rest of the day from anything productive :)

AslanC
08-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Then let's tackle it tomorrow ;)

Coyotemax
08-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Ok, for the benefit of others who may be interested (and constructive feedback is always welcome) we have begun on the East.

I worked up an initial view, and am now updating based on feedback from AslanC. I left the working notes attached, couldn't be bothered to turn them off. Plus if you have comments that would be addressed by the notes, you can see what is and isn't in the works.

Bring it on! (and eventually I will sleep...)

Steel General
08-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Looks like you got a good start, looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Tear
08-24-2009, 04:55 PM
A good start, indeed.

Thanks for letting us see the "production notes".

Coyotemax
08-25-2009, 05:07 AM
Ok, here's the latest, with changes made as per the working notes above.

I also ran the map through Wilbur to get the rivers.. i ended up removing about half the ones that generated, with the size we're doing the rivers it was a bit whelming.

It's actually not too far off where I was thinking to add them anyhow, so that gives me confidence that my placement of rivers by impulse follows good logic :)

[edit] erm, forgot to build in the nile-type delta after placing the river - oops!

Coyotemax
08-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Update! Pending further modifactions, I'm happy with it as is :)

Plus I did a border in a similar style to the previous NDotW map for that sense of consistency - but with a more middle eastern feel to it to fit the region better :)

Dang, these things keep getting bigger and bigger.

AslanC
08-25-2009, 01:33 PM
That looks amazing!

And as I said I would put total trust in you on this one, I shall :)

I guess it is up to me to start labeling this badboy :)

Karro
08-25-2009, 02:28 PM
My only point of criticism is that some of those rivers look awfully straight. Are they intended to be canals?

Coyotemax
08-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Well, that's Wilbur's fault :) I've been looking at them myself with half an eyeball to moving them around, looks like it's decided now...

AslanC
08-25-2009, 05:56 PM
Well, that's Wilbur's fault :) I've been looking at them myself with half an eyeball to moving them around, looks like it's decided now...

Let me get you a note or two then before you dive in too hard... okay?

Coyotemax
08-26-2009, 03:21 AM
Ok, updated!!

Still not sure about the corners, i'll play around with them :)

[edit to replace image with the correct one]

AslanC
08-26-2009, 03:32 AM
I for one like the Onions, but that's me :)

LonewandererD
08-26-2009, 03:44 AM
I know I'm not the river police but I did notice something. In the southwestern part of the eastern landmass, across from the mountain penisula of the desert area, you have a river that is headind towards the sea but breaks off at the last minute and head a bit inland before exiting further down the coast. This might not be a violation, I'm no expert, but it does look a little strange. Also, to the east of that river, a small river joins into/breaks off from the main river that runs along the mountains, it just looks a little out of place.

They're are also some little personal nit-picky things I've noticed but they don't really matter and I don't quite have a lot of time right now.

But all in all great work, really looks like a satelite image. Bravo.

It has probably been mentioned before but I the borders. They're beautiful and decortaive and they don't draw attention away from the map whilst looking great. Who do you do them, my attempts have been quite basic so far.

-D-

Coyotemax
08-26-2009, 07:48 AM
The rivers have been adjusted, there were a few artifacts that my brain tuned out from when i erased most of the generated ones. Anything else in there is left intentionally, as there are a few wierd anomolies now and then in actual terrain :)

I'm ok with taking nitpicky notes, without feedback it's difficult to imporve and avoid erros in the future :) bring it on, if/when you get the time. Can't guarantee I'll follow up on them in this map after this point, but things definitely get kept in mind for future maps.

Karro
08-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Okay, overall I think the rivers look great now. A lot more natural looking now that the straight-as-a-canal rivers have been removed.

Coyotemax
08-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Well, in all honesty, I would say my Wilbur experiment was a failure for my purposes. I was looking at using Wilbur to reduce the time it takes to do the rivers, and have them come out more natural. While it seems to do wonderfully on terrain generated within the tool, it's taking too much effort to set up the height maps for imported images to work well - if you think those canals were bad, you should have seen some of the ones I erased :)

If I started a map as a height map in photoshop first, before adding the landscape features, and using the heightmap as a guide, it might work out a bit better.. but really, in terms of timesaving, it's a bust. Any of the previous maps where I drew rivers in by hand looked as good if not better than my experiments, and took less time when it all boils down.

I think AslanC and I are getting our feedback-and-forth technique down to a fine art, this map didn't take NEARLY as long to iron out the finer details, though that may be in part because it's not quite as developed as the West was in terms of what goes where and local politics :) Plus I got a lot more creative license on this one.

And Lone, thanks for the comments about the borders, too. in some ways I put even more effort into those than i do into the maps themselves :) It may sound odd, but I actually put a fair amount of effort into having them accentuate without distracting from the map. I especially wanted to keep the similar style to the last map, I do believe the entire series will be placed in similar frames (I'm starting to think of them more as picture frames than borders now, heh). Different regions have a different overall theme though, I don't want to just re-use the same border - this is half the fun, for me! Part of the work on this one was deciding between an arabic/muslim look (which is what got decided on, obviously), Slavic/Balkan, Ukranian, Chinese, Japanese, or Mongolian. I thought of incorporating a bit of each, but it would have been too much, I think.

Part of the reason I use the borders is to hide any bevelling and other layer artifacts at the edges of the map - that was the original intent, until I found other ways to deal with it, but by then I decided I just like making them.

Coyotemax
09-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Work proceeds, though sometimes slowly.

The entire continent landmass has been mapped at this point, though in separate files. Considering I was looking ahead when doing the new areas, and copying in adjacent areas to continue the terrain seamlessly, I decided now was finally the time to test that theory. And it worked out great, there were only two spots that I had to tweak to match.

This is by no means the final version of the fullsize map, instead it's just a test - there are quite a few issues where I forgot to hide some layers before compositing and the atlantis island is not done for the regular map yet either. However, it's good enough to test the Zoomify export, and took minimal time and effort to put them all together. at 9000x5500 pixels, it's quite a hefty map - no way will the site let me post it, heh.

I know there are a few people working on smaller regional maps that are part of a larger world - so I'll say that it's worth the effort to have them match up to put together at some future point :)

http://home.cogeco.ca/~msutter/maps/overall.html

AslanC
09-12-2009, 12:20 PM
:!: OMG :!:

That is amazing dude :)

I want to rep you but I have to spread it around.

Steel General
09-12-2009, 05:44 PM
The zoomify works quite nicely I must say...