PDA

View Full Version : Underground cities

Lwaxana
08-10-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm contemplating creating a map for the capital of the major Dwarf empire in my epic campaign.

I've never done an underground city for some reason. The few villages we encountered I just placed in some random dungeons I wasn't going to use for anything else. But I want this city to look real, and not be in a dungeon but instead a real city underground.

Has anyone here done this before? I think a lot of things would have to be different to suit different economic needs.

Ascension
08-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Maybe because of Eddings I always think of underground cities as being layered...like a skyscraper. I can see how they might be more sprawling on one flat plane, like a dungeon, but I've never done either. I'll be watching to see what you come up with.

Talroth
08-10-2009, 10:31 PM
D'ni has come to be what I think an underground city to be. Large city built inside a massive cave, and expanded through tunnels and chambers.

DevinNight
08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I'll be watching this too. Later this year I'll be starting on my own dwarven city.
I think the key would be to find a large natural cavern as stated above, and then build into it and then carve away unique areas.
Think up as well as sideways...
Good luck.

Tyson of the NW
08-11-2009, 04:09 PM
You can always take a look a Dwarf Fortress, a pretty complex ASCII game where you control a dwarven society as they try and build their mountain city. I would watch you tube videos of gameplay to get some inspiration.

Lwaxana
08-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Hmm... I got a lot of ideas by now, just how to put them on paper I am not sure yet. I'll likely try to hand draw it first, seeing how I'm limited in software for this.

The interesting question is, will i be done before the campaign is over? :P

Dyson Logos
08-14-2009, 02:16 PM
The book City Works from FFG has interesting "city building" mechanics and includes a system for generating underground cities as well as vertical cities. For huge underground cities I would use both combined - underground and vertical.

Lwaxana
08-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Ooh then I want that book. Thanks for the tip.