PDA

View Full Version : Cruzamento De Rio (River Crossing)

Coyotemax
08-11-2009, 08:44 AM
My first city map!

I have rather extensive notes on the rationale behind the town, the buildings, and the history of the town here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6622) if anyone is interested in more details.

To summarize, never having done a city map before I ended up putting thought into why there is a town at this particular point in the first place. I also went through and wrote out the basic history of the development of the town, to try and see what industries would develop over the years. I figured this would have a large impact on the design of the town, and explains a few things that might otherwise seem odd. Dwellings are easier to relocate than industries, so several of the major features of the town are in places they wouldn't be if the final version was designed all at once, and I placed industries before houses (actually I went through in 4 stages, but that's covered in the second post of the WIP thread). One example of this is the stockyard in the middle of town - but it was there long before the town was in place, and acts as a holding pen for the bridge crossing, barges, and so on, so it needed to be near the crossing point.

Other details came out while I was working on the layout - one of them being while I was working on the forests. Considering a major part of the history is bandit raids, I figured the first thing the new Knight would do is clear out any cover within longbow range (give or take 200 yards, from my research), so it may look rather sparse close in to the town :)

I had fun with the naming too, I borrowed a lot of Portuguese for this one, and there's a few surprises if anyone actually bothers to translate some of the phrases in there :)

Thanks to Ascension for the city tutorial, even if I was using a beta version of it.. if anything the lack of pictures helped me develop a more unique look than I might have otherwise ended up with. And thanks to Gandwarf who talked me into posting as a WIP instead of waiting until it was done, the feedback helped point out a few issues that I would have missed otherwise.

Gandwarf
08-11-2009, 09:03 AM
A very fine map indeed. I commented extensively in the WIP thread, so I don't know what to say anymore... :)

So what's your next project?

Coyotemax
08-11-2009, 09:07 AM
blah! I have no idea.. i've been casting around for inspiration.

I have a few ideas.. but nowhere to start them. One was to redo Dannasis with an atlas-ish style. I was also working on and off with using wilbur to lay out my rivers for me on another mountainous continent (with decent results but then i didn't know what else to do witht he map). I've been seriously thinking of doing a battle campaign map - one that's been taken along on a siege, and lots of notes scribbled on and erased, attack routes, supply lines drawn in, etc.

So much inspiration, but I may take a break for a few hours until I start the next one (lol)

Scorpius
08-11-2009, 10:28 AM
I like the final look allot, and assure you I am scooping it up for my own campaign. I just need to think of a reason for the Portuguese. . .

Steel General
08-11-2009, 11:21 AM
This came out quite nicely...

One question though...why did you decide to put the water flowing around the compass rose?

Karro
08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Man, you got some serious skills all over this. You should clean that up :P

Seriously, great job.

Coyotemax
08-11-2009, 01:39 PM
I played around with the effect at first, and no one seemed to object :) Easy enough to clean up and re-upload :)

Coyotemax
08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Scorpius: if you need, I can edit the portuguese to english and upload a version of that for you. The name of the place will sound pretty mundane though - it's River Crossing :)

(and the street of "I'm Never Doing This Again" just won't have the same exotic feel, lol)

Steel General
08-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I played around with the effect at first, and no one seemed to object :) Easy enough to clean up and re-upload :)

No need for that, I was just curious.

Coyotemax
08-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Too late :)

Besides, I was always iffy on it. It was a cute effect, but not really appropriate.

I do think it's better this way.

Scorpius
08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
If you're bored Coyote go ahead, and certainly no rush. I don't think we'll hit it for a couple months easy. Otherwise, I'll right it off as an odd form of Elven. . .

Coyotemax
08-11-2009, 07:56 PM
I've actually got 2 versions now, one with all labels removed and one with all (well mostly all) english translations. I left a few things the way they are for local flavour (Bha'ab's Smithy, for example) and I resisted naming things like "No Street for Old Men" :P

If you want the unlabelled version let me know, it was mostly for my own archival purposes.

The more I look at this the more I'm considering doing a closeup version of Darktown (the more labrynthine area just north of the tanner's paddock). I'm thinking that area could be very much like the slums area in Sanctuary (Thieve's World) - practically unmappable, and navigable only by those who grew up there, even if they do have a sketched out map, heh.

I can just see the conversation now..
Player1: "What do you mean we're lost, we have a bloody map."
Player2 :"We do have a map. Hey GM, you said this was an accurate map of the town, how can we be lost?"
GM: "No, the guy who sold it to you said it was an accurate map of the town. "
Player1 and player1 (in unison): "Oh crap"

Tear
08-11-2009, 08:18 PM
You are a mapping machine. I love your work. Read your Rep comments.

ravells
08-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Absolutely superb! The only (very tinest) crit I would have is that the city wall is a bit bright and stands out too much. Everything else is perfect to me.

Coyotemax
08-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone, feedback has been noted and will be taken into consideration for the next venture :)

Scorpius
08-11-2009, 11:15 PM
Oh excellent indeed.

eViLe_eAgLe
07-10-2011, 06:03 AM
*scratches head* Im just wandering.. Would you mind if I kind of stole your buildings, and maybe pallisades? It would look similair.. But not as magnificent as yours.. Im just wandering because this style is golden to me.

Edit: Scratch that it would take too much time. So, better yet could you just tell me how to get the little highlight's at the top of the roofs and maybe the textures?

Coyotemax
07-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Everything I did is from this tutorial: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?6536-Photoshop-Town-Tutorial
Granted I didn't necessarily follow perfectly, I deviated a few places to make it my own, but the roofs and palisades are pretty much straight from the tut.

oh, and post a Work in Progress thread - the feedback will be valuable as you go :)

eViLe_eAgLe
07-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks! :)