PDA

View Full Version : [taken]Passage of Time Challenge

DevinNight
08-11-2009, 04:11 PM
I would like to see a map that has a before and after stage.
A building before and after it's been put to the torch.
A small village sacked or overgrown after being deserted.
A small natural cave carved into a keep.
A castle to ruins
A dry area before and after being flooded.
A settlement or camp that becomes a small town.

The basic idea is that an adventuring party sees a place, then many years later have a reason to revisit it and the changes that would make it a new experience.

Ascension
08-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Good idea for a challenge. I see these types of things in a lot of books, like history books and atlases.

Gamerprinter
08-11-2009, 04:56 PM
I told ya I'd vote for it if there was a poll!

GP

ravells
08-14-2009, 08:12 AM
I think this is a really cool idea. Lots of room to flex the imagination too.

Ghostman
08-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Why not allow more than just two stages? for example, one could make a series of maps showing the changes of political borders in an area over a timeline. Or one could show many stages on the development of a settlement: starting with a tiny hamlet, growing into a village, then a town, a city and a bustling metropolis - perhaps undergoing setbacks, periods of stagnation, etc along the way.

Steel General
08-14-2009, 10:21 AM
I like the idea... I did something on this order when we had the siege map contest several months ago. Mine was the progression of the battle over the course of the day.

Notsonoble
08-14-2009, 04:29 PM
I have to eventually do 3 time period maps for each place in my setting so this would be kinda neat...

töff
08-14-2009, 04:34 PM
I have a several-stages map planned for a collab project in my writers group. But I have no timeline for completion (as usual).

Greason Wolfe
08-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Ooooooh, this sounds like it could be an interesting one. I'm already seeing where I might go with something like this, assuming I would have time to work on it with everything else that's going on.

Ya got my vote.

GW

Jykke
08-21-2009, 11:52 PM
I have to post this, as it is probably the most hilarious "passage of time" map I've ever seen. It's from a finnish comic strip called Fingerpori. Too bad I coudn't find a higher resolution version. The language is also finnish :S, but I'll translate some of the location names, so that also you understand why it makes me smile :)

http://www.sarjakuva.com/fingerpori/fingerpori%20menneisyyskartta.jpghttp://www.sarjakuva.com/fingerpori/fingerpori%20nykykartta.jpg

1st one = 1803, 2nd = "today"

Translations:

Köyhien maakuoppa = The poor people's pit
Venäjä = Russia
Kela = Social Insurance Institution
Kartanoita = Mansions
Tori = Marketplace
Huoria = Whores
Toksiset suot = Toxic swamps
Taikametsä = Magical forest

There's couple of other names, but you'll brobably figure them out / know them already. :)

ravells
08-25-2009, 08:12 AM
LOL excellent one, Jykke!

MysticMagellan
08-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Oooo... I'm already doing this concept for a game I run. In fact, I posted the before map here last month. Check it out here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6258

Now that the Oten-Jo challenge is over I'm planning on finishing up the current map of what was once called Taristal, but is now called Shardport. I'll post them both together when I'm done.

Gandwarf
09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Poll results have been pretty overwhelming...
Shall we run this challenge next then?

Gamerprinter
09-01-2009, 05:36 PM
Definitely! Activate this challenge suggestion for September. I might even create a non-entry version and post to the WIP forums, so I can unofficially participate as well (being a Challenge Retiree...)

This looks like another entry filled challenge, I think.

GP

armoredgear7
09-02-2009, 03:22 PM
I too like this idea, and I think it'll make for an interesting challenge.