PDA

View Full Version : Hand of Vecna symbol map

scscofield
08-11-2009, 08:32 PM
This is my first map attempt really, it all is due to this post http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142 by RobA. I took the symbol of vecna and used it as the background then followed his tutorial up to just after the forest layers.

The file I started with and the map I created are attached.

Ascension
08-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Pretty cool, I like the darker colors. Looks like Ben Franklin is fond of your map too :)

scscofield
08-11-2009, 10:30 PM
:-p I noticed that too, it came from the random bump map stuff. Probally could not repeat it if I tried. The dark colors are just most of the layers bump maps copied then the layer blend thing set to grain merge. Did it on accident on one and liked how it looked.

Steel General
08-12-2009, 08:22 AM
First off.. Welcome Aboard!

Neat idea and a good job of using RobA's GIMP tutorial.

Scorpius
08-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Thats very cool looking. Kinda creepy too.

AslanC
08-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Wow that Ben Franklin thing is just creepy! The good kind of creepy :)

Diamond
08-13-2009, 02:07 AM
That's pretty cool. I like the island over on the far right, the one that looks like Pac Man. :D

Absinth
08-13-2009, 02:17 AM
This is a damn cool idea for a map!

scscofield
08-13-2009, 03:01 AM
I am thinking about doing the same symbol but make it a mosaic based city map. There is a tutorial by torstan I think in the tutorials showing how to do it. The outline would be the roads and I figure I could do the roofs as the various colors of the symbol. Not sure if I would do the white of the eye as a open area, water, or more roofed houses in white though.

töff
08-13-2009, 10:55 AM
Trivia: Gary Gygax, in developing a magic system for Dungeons & Dragons, was greatly influenced by Jack Vance's portrayal of magic in The Dying Earth. As a tribute to Vance, Gygax included some spells (or were they artifacts, I forget) from a mage character called VECNA ... an anagram of VANCE.

Why do I mention it? Because I did a map based on a Jack Vance book. See my sig.

scscofield
08-13-2009, 11:33 AM
:-p Now I have another set of books to add to my reading list.

töff
08-13-2009, 12:14 PM
:-p Now I have another set of books to add to my reading list.If you mean the Dying Earth series, I hope you'll enjoy them. They take place in the farrrr future when the sun is flickering out, and technology appears as magic (and people carry swords again). There's the original collection of short stories, then 2 novels with the rogue Cugel, then a novel with the magician Rhialto and his fellow magickers. They're all quite entertaining IMHO -- but I'm an unabashed Vance fan.

There was also an RPG set in that world, and they produced some MAPS (http://www.dyingearth.com/products.htm) for it :)