PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason you can't attach svg?

Tyson of the NW
08-13-2009, 03:53 PM
I use Inkscape pretty heavily and am putting together some symbol sets in it that I may want to publish to the community here. But there doesn't seem to be a way to attach svg files except to pack them in a zip file or rename them with a txt extension. Is this a purposeful exclusion or an accidental omission?

Just curious.

Gandwarf
08-14-2009, 05:38 AM
I don't think we do that on purpose. The file types that can be uploaded are limited however to make sure no harmful files can be uploaded. It's mostly the well known graphic formats, supported by most software.
I am using Campaign Cartographer 3 and I don't think I can upload the FCW files it generates as its output.

I would suggest zipping your symbol sets as I donk't think we want to add many more custom file types at the moment.

Midgardsormr
08-14-2009, 12:02 PM
SVG is an open vector graphic format, though, and quite useful. It isn't specific to Inkscape, and most browsers can render it easily. I think it would be a good idea if it were a permitted filetype.

selden
08-14-2009, 02:24 PM
As Gandwarf pointed out, .zip is an allowed filetype, so you can upload whatever you want in a .zip archive.

NeonKnight
08-14-2009, 07:52 PM
The other thing is, the attachments might be limited to the Forum Software. Arcana is the Forum Owner, so he would know more, but if the makers of the software sat back and said: Lets Allow GIF, BMP, PNG, JPEG, WORD, ZIP and PDF (and maybe a few other types, who knows) as valid attachments, then they did. But, if the provision for this type of attachment is not allowed, then like others have said, you'll have to fall back on the ol' ZIP and post em that way.