PDA

View Full Version : Ankh Bathor - Regional map

Clercon
08-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Well I haven't been maping for a while, but at last Iíve managed to find some time again. This time Iím zooming in a bit on the Etrakien map, time to do a regional map.

The choice what to map was guite easy. Ankh-bathor is the most important area in the world with its smal canal that connects the Etrakien sea in the east and the inner sea in the west. The control of the canal has given the city of Ankh-bathor a lot of power and money. Thanks to this It has been able to claim some land both north and south of the town. Approximately the country of Ankh bathor is about 300 km from north to south. And this is the area I intend to map, and the area you see on the map.

So far not much has been done and Iím still trying to create some style that works with the main Etrakien map, but that gives a more regional feeling. No cities are on the map yet, but you can see the farmland where some of the bigger cities will be.

In the middle of the map you have the canal, that is where Ankh bathor will be placed.

Well enjoy.

Gandwarf
08-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Looking good so far. I like the hill symbols and the farmland.

Steel General
08-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I like the hills, not so sure about the farmland yet. I'll wait and see until you get more done.

Clercon
08-15-2009, 05:25 PM
Well Some progress has been made tonight. I did take down the colours a bit from the farmland, it was a tiny bit too bright before, in my opinion. Also added some trees, roads and cities. Thought I could put up the result for opinions. It's always hard to know if your on the right track or not when you're sitting on your own. I'm just putting up the "test" piece of the map I'm working on at the moment.

Gandwarf
08-15-2009, 05:29 PM
I still like it...
What are the dotted lines, lesser travelled paths?

Clercon
08-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Yes the dotted lines are lesser travelled paths.

Ascension
08-15-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm diggin it.

MadLetter
08-16-2009, 12:12 PM
Very nice style..!

Clercon
08-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Well I got some time for maping tonight as well. Some more hills in the south, and even an old crater from the war against the gods (if you can spot it). Some more rivers, cities and roads as well. Still a lot to do :-)
One interesting detail are the aqueducts leading into Ankh-Bathor. They are the straight blue lines with a slight drop shadow.

Steel General
08-18-2009, 07:20 AM
I think the crater effect worked out well, it may need a bit of shading/shadow to really give it some depth though.

ravells
08-18-2009, 08:05 AM
Another Clercon special coming up! Yum yum!

Scorpius
08-18-2009, 08:50 AM
This is looking really clean and clear. I found the crater and canal easily enough. It looks like you'll have plenty of elements for some really fun play.

landorl
08-19-2009, 02:17 PM
I like this map. The style is very eye pleasing with a good scale. I love the hill symbols, and must know where you got them!

Looking forward to more progress!

Clercon
08-20-2009, 02:19 AM
I like this map. The style is very eye pleasing with a good scale. I love the hill symbols, and must know where you got them!

Looking forward to more progress!

Thanks for the nice words.
Well I did the Hill symbols myself, actually everything on the map is done by me. I might have got some inspiration from different places but nothing is copied.

Clercon
08-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Some more updates of the map. Added some wasteland around the crater, the southern wall and some keeps are in place. Also put in some more forest and hills, roads and farmland.

Jykke
08-21-2009, 02:55 AM
have some rep for the cool mountains!

pasis
08-21-2009, 03:35 AM
Nice looking map coming up again. Forest could be a more dence in some areas. Keep up good work.

Greason Wolfe
08-21-2009, 04:39 AM
I'm liking what I'm seeing here. I don't say it often enough (probably because I always take the more complicated approach with my own maps), but there's a lot to be said for keeping things simple, and this map is a perfect example of that. There's absolutely no confusion about what is what. The farmlands/crops look like farmlands/crops. The hills and mountains look like hills and mountains. There's no confusion about the shore. The roads are easy to discern, and even the less traveled paths. The rivers look to be following the "rules" as well. And correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a mine of some sort just a wee bit north and west of the impact crater?

A fine, fine job so far, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

GW

Clercon
08-21-2009, 06:13 AM
And correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a mine of some sort just a wee bit north and west of the impact crater?

Actually the "mine" is meant to be a ruin. The area around the impact crater is a place where the stability of the physical world is a bit weak, the reason for it being a wasteland. After the war with the gods that devastated the worlds and brought the Archonts (early gods) to their doom the hole creation was threatened to seize to exist.

In the end the creation was saved for different reasons but parts of the worlds are still unstable. Places like this tend to open gates to the borderlands (a place between the physical and dream (mental) worlds) where not only pleasant things hide.

In these areas that are often avoided by sane people you can find old ruins from the time before the war. And if you survive the horrors you might run into you can also find things long forgotten and treasures that will change your life forever. This ďmineĒ is one of these ruins.

You have another ruin in the lonely hill in the middle of the map. That ruin is an old burial ground from the times long gone.

Clercon
08-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Here is another update. I've finished the hills and mountain on the northern part of the map. Rivers are also in place. Next step will be to put in cities and forests.
This is also the whole map, so this time i didn't cut any land off as I've done earlier.

Gandwarf
08-24-2009, 06:16 AM
It looks like your daughter finally went to sleep ;)
Nice work so far! The impact crater looks great.

Ascension
08-24-2009, 08:45 AM
I like that huge wall. Interesting.

Clercon
08-31-2009, 03:40 PM
OK here is a slightly updated version of the map, seems like my children sleeps a lot these days ;-)
I've added some forests, towns and roads in the northern part of the map. I've also put in some more hills. I've also tried to put some texture on top of the whole thing.

Hope you like it.

Gandwarf
08-31-2009, 03:53 PM
You ruined it!
No, kidding. I still like it a lot. Can't wait to see it in its finished form.

Finis
08-31-2009, 03:57 PM
I like the style a lot, minimalist and elegant but still conveys a lot of information.

Steel General
08-31-2009, 05:28 PM
Coming along very nicely...

landorl
09-02-2009, 11:12 AM
This map makes me drool. I love it!

wormspeaker
09-02-2009, 11:23 AM
I like it a lot. It's so rare that regional maps show croplands. I always wonder how people eat in fantasy settings since there are not nearly enough croplands for all of those big cities.

Clercon
09-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Another updateof the map. Almost all terrain are done, I might add some small stuff but nothing big. Biggest job left is to put names to all the places, add borders (don't really know how to do that in a good way yet) and maybe ship paths. So some experimenting has to be done, but the main thing is done. Hope you like it :-)

Steel General
09-15-2009, 06:44 AM
Very nice Clercon, the soft, almost pastel color scheme works really well.

Clercon
09-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Very nice Clercon, the soft, almost pastel color scheme works really well.

Now I just need to come up with 150 town and city names.

Steel General
09-15-2009, 07:00 AM
Now I just need to come up with 150 town and city names.

Isn't labeling fun! :D

Alfar
09-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Heh... this a good time to mention that my latest version of WordBuilder supports exporting a word list to an svg with each word on a separate curved path?

I've attached a png that InkScape made from the .svg output, since I can't upload a svg here. Hiding the curves and changing fonts and such is, of course, a simple thing in the vector graphics editor of your choice.

Some info here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=7096
and here: http://whee.dk/?page_id=65

Clercon
10-30-2009, 05:23 PM
it's been a while since my last update of the map. I'm trying to get all the names down for cities and towns. I've also adde in some more things in the map. I decided to only keep the country Ankh-bathor in green and to "grey" the other countries.

Well it slowly moves forward and except for coming up with all the names, a compass rose it's nearly considered done. Well if you guys don't have a million complains ;-)

cheers

Gandwarf
10-30-2009, 05:34 PM
It has been some time indeed... anyway, the map looks great. At this size the labeling is hard to read though.

Clercon
10-30-2009, 05:37 PM
It has been some time indeed... anyway, the map looks great. At this size the labeling is hard to read though.

As they say in the computer buissnes; it's "by design", to hide all the bad names I've come up with ;-)

When I'm done with the map I probably put it up in a slightly bigger resolution so you can read all the names. But I have to save something for the finished thread.

landorl
10-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Lovely as usual. I like the font that you are using, though some of the letters are a little on the small side. I like the fact that you discolored the surrounding countries but still left them there.

Ascension
10-30-2009, 10:30 PM
Looks good to me but I didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb. I almost never do...if it looks good at first sight (nothing jumps out at me) then I'm fine with it because the details change and are subject to opinion. Nice map :)

mearrin69
10-30-2009, 11:04 PM
The texture on that is incredibly nice. Looks almost like a photograph of a painted canvas. Be nice to get just a tiny hint of painted brush strokes suggested in there somehow.

Can't comment on the names without some intense magnification :)

Nice looking map...I love the ones that just get better the more you zoom in.
M

Clercon
11-01-2009, 01:36 PM
The texture on that is incredibly nice. Looks almost like a photograph of a painted canvas. Be nice to get just a tiny hint of painted brush strokes suggested in there somehow.

M

Iīve actually experimented a bit with that, to get some brush strokes in. But I can't get it right. So if anyone out there has an idea how to accomplish that, I'm listening :-)

altasilvapuer
11-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Maybe it might be worth getting your hands on a small paintbrush, some different paints, and hand-painting something like some of your elements and scanning them in, if you have access to a scanner? For example, maybe you should hand-paint a couple hill shadows. The shading on your hills already looks almost hand-painted, so it'd probably be a good place to start.

Then, rather than replacing all of the lovely symbols you have, you might be able to layer the painting objects over a couple of the originals and try to blend it in a little to make it look like it was painted, without actually painting it. You wouldn't even need to do it very much, I think; just a few places to generate the illusion.

Someone who's actually worked with traditional media could probably help more, but I'm thinking probably something like watercolour paints on a really absorbent paper or something.

Even without that, though, I think the map so far is utterly amazing and already has a wonderful hand-painted feel to it. If you wanted to accentuate it, that might be a good way, but you don't really need to accentuate it if you don't want to.

Also, a moment of nitpickiness: it looks like in graying out the other countries, you missed a sliver along the Northern edge of the map. Just figured I'd let you know, in case you hadn't noticed, yet.
-asp

Clercon
11-03-2009, 05:02 PM
Map is done, so head over to the finished map section if you like to have a look. Thanks to everyone for giving me the inspiration to do this :-)