PDA

View Full Version : Liberty City Surrounds Map

Halfpint
08-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Hi All,

Been some amount of time since I've posted here but I thought I'd drop in what I've been working on of late.

I'm designing a map of the general area around the city in which a friend of mine is running a DnD campaign. He is using a series of supplements for a city called "Liberty" but these supplements don't have much on the outside world so I had a lot of freedom.

I'm using ArcGIS ArcInfo to design this map, mostly because I use it all day at work :)
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcinfo/index.html

The map wasn't looking that hot originally as professional real world mapping applications don't try to get the look and feel of historical work so finding hill-signs and proper symbol sets was a problem.
ie what it first started to look like:

However I found a great article on using ArcGIS and reproducing the look and feel of Caribbean Sea maps from the 1500s:
http://mappingcenter.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=maps.caribbean

Anyways this is how it looks currently (not finished yet):

Cheers,
Halfpint

Coyotemax
08-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Nice link!

and nice work on the map so far.. the mountains seem to be a different brush colour, or was that intentional?

That would be my only constructive comment towards it though, it's looking very nice. Interesting woodcut effect around the coast, too!

Halfpint
08-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Hmm I didn't notice the mountains being different I'll take a closer look.

The woodcut effect is accomplished via ArcGIS by taking the original land polygon, note I didn't include the minor islands as I only wanted the wood cut to reflect the shape of the general landscape:

And creating a series of buffers at various distances away, while the distances were mostly equal the shading varies from dense lines to intermittent "cuts" the farther from the landscape you get:

Then a series of "wood cutting" effects are placed into each buffer with the original polygon layered back on top with a old paper effect. You could likely accomplish a similar effect with Photoshop or Illustrator by stretching the object in all directions.

Steel General
08-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Some pretty cool stuff there...

Coyotemax
08-18-2009, 07:04 PM
I'll have to see what I can about replicating that effect in photoshop. Thanks for the steps!